PDA

View Full Version : final word on racism

brad
11-01-2003, 10:19 PM
god made all people and when we place one race above another we're judging him, not them.

heard that on alex jones show a guest said it (talking about satanic/pagan origins of modern day rituals like halloween, easter, xmas, etc.) . just thought it was cool.

Rushmore
11-01-2003, 10:30 PM
So what? Is God exempt from being judged?

I'm just asking, but if God makes something evil, should he not be held accountable?

And...hasn't He? And...shouldn't He be?

brad
11-01-2003, 10:47 PM
by definition god or gods are above (human)morality.

Wake up CALL
11-02-2003, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by definition god or gods are above (human)morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one went over my head brad. Which definition is this?

Cyrus
11-03-2003, 03:57 AM
"By definition god or gods are above (human) morality."

Is it possible for a human-made toaster to be above human morality? A god is a human construct and therefore, by definition, subject to "human morality".

For more on the facinating (not really..) issue of god and man, one could do a lot worse than read up this fine American's quotes (http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/mencframe.htm).

MMMMMM
11-03-2003, 04:43 AM
"Is it possible for a human-made toaster to be above human morality? A god is a human construct and therefore, by definition, subject to "human morality"."

A god is a human construct--OK--but does that mean all gods are human constructs?

ACPlayer
11-03-2003, 09:32 AM
God is actually a human hypothesis rather than a construct, so, if one exists, it may be above human morality.

A better statement may be-- morality is a human construct does it even apply to God.

brad
11-03-2003, 09:41 AM
are you familiar with the concept of god being 'outside of time' ?

Rushmore
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Of course, every possible and impossible attribute and characteristic has been ascribed to "God." The notion that He exists outside of the confines of temporality is nothing all that remarkable or interesting.

Ontological arguments aside (which are generally more scientific, as in the simple act of proving God by defining Him as "greatest," or "Unmoved Mover," or some other superlative), there is nothing credible on the face of the planet that would infer or describe attributes of "God."

Thus, the apparently-intended mystery goes on.

Personally, I choose the "By-Design" rationalization for god, as in, "It's just all too perfect, someone or something must have had something to do with it," etc. etc.

Yes, I know you'll have a problem with the word "rationalization."

Anyway, who defines the rules for how we view this mysterious God? God Himself has been fairly vague about it, and anyone with any common sense is at least a little bit misanthropic, so...

Well, you get the point.

Wake up CALL
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are you familiar with the concept of god being 'outside of time' ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, of course since I find the concept of a "God" amusing at best I do not know all he/she/it's characteristics. Is being a God like a comic book character? If so I suppose he/she/it can have any characteristics you choose to bestow. If that is the case I now understand your human morality statement.

Cyrus
11-03-2003, 06:22 PM
"A god is a human construct--OK--but does that mean all gods are human constructs?"

Ooops. You are already way out of place in terms of algebra!...

But, instead of allowing others to elaborate, I will simply direct you to an American's mourning (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=376466 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=226&Match=Username&Searchp age=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=376120&Search=tru e#Post376466) for gods past.

Read it and weep.

brad
11-04-2003, 08:10 PM
the reason i ask is that if you are unfamiliar with history of morality which is tied to religion then i probably wont be able to explain it to you since theres too much background without which my argument wouldnt make sense.

but in a nutshell human morality is basically what is good for human beings. but what is good for humans may not be good for gods, plus as humans we dont even really know what is good or bad for gods.

brad
11-04-2003, 08:16 PM
david zindell's (zindell, zindel ?) book 'neverness', excellent sci-fi book with philosophical overtones.

check it out.

p.s. gods dont have to be 'supernatural'

brad
11-04-2003, 08:23 PM
true in some mythologies the gods are judged (say norse mythology) but i think in the single creator/omniscient ones or the non-personal ones they arent.

in general perhaps u could say in the west the slave religions cannot talk back to their gods, but others religions (myths) people can actually fight against the gods. (and win!)