PDA

View Full Version : (5$) 7 7 Should I push here?

12-29-2005, 02:48 AM
I ended up coming back and winning this tourney, I really wondered the whole time if I had made the right decsision here. The answer is at the bottom in red ( white is not working for some reason.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1360)
UTG (t1480)
MP1 (t3235)
MP2 (t2368)
Hero (t1132)
Button (t740)
SB (t3185)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ? <font color="white"> </font>

I pushed all in and won a toss up

12-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Easy push.

12-29-2005, 03:39 AM
Personally I believe that you should call and hope a few others call and you hit your set on flop to extract maximum value. 150 is too little to risk your whole stack for.

Obviously, reads and opponents playing styles should also influence your decision.

yvesaint
12-29-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I believe that you should call and hope a few others call and you hit your set on flop to extract maximum value. 150 is too little to risk your whole stack for.

Obviously, reads and opponents playing styles should also influence your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats up, this is bad advice

you have 7xBB, no way you are playing for set value you here. this is an easy push.

el_dusto
12-29-2005, 03:44 AM
hmmm.

your hand doesn't improve at all unless you hit your set or a wacky straight or flush. meanwhile, you are crushed by 8s or better and a slight dog to two overcards, which are the only things calling you. It's pretty early in the tourney to be playing the coinflip game, I think, and there aren't any chips in the pot.

I would have limped and waited until the flop; overcards scare me away, a 7 makes me do the trips dance, and rags make me bet.

12-29-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

you have 7xBB, no way you are playing for set value you here. this is an easy push.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-29-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty early in the tourney to be playing the coinflip game, I think, and there aren't any chips in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is t325 in the pot, which is about 1/3 of Heros stack. This is a significant amount of chips in the pot.

This is an easy push.

caretaker1
12-29-2005, 05:13 AM
At $5, I would fold. UTG limp is dangerous, I suspect that $5 players with mediocre overcard holdings don't know they should be contributing to your fold equity when you push. Do you really want a coinflip here? Also, there's always that outside chance the fellow is sandbagging the big pair as well.

el_dusto
12-29-2005, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is t325 in the pot, which is about 1/3 of Heros stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy, if only I could read as well as I can talk. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

12-29-2005, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't for three reasons.
1) I'm not opening the pot
2) There are 4 people still to act on this round. In $5 you can expect a call here more often than not, and you'll be losing more often than not.
3) SB has me covered three times and can call with less than absolutely premium hands.

12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all your replies guys. It seems to me that there is a conflict of interest though, which I believe is a good thing and keeps the discussion helpful and intresting. Does anyone else have an opinion of whether or not I push 7 7 here?

Snarf
12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all your replies guys. It seems to me that there is a conflict of interest though, which I believe is a good thing and keeps the discussion helpful and intresting. Does anyone else have an opinion of whether or not I push 7 7 here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure its a pretty clear/easy push w/77.

I'd only fold if the UTG limper was a tricksy player who had shown down limped aces or king before...or if a limp UTG from him means a range close to 88+, AJs+, AQo+
Even then - I'd probalby push 'cuz I'm ahead of most of his range.

Limping in w/77 - getting a halfway decent flop and THEN pushing - only to find out someone out-flopped you who woulda folded to your AI is distarous. Getting your dream flop and NOT doubling up is equally distarous. Playing for set value here is bad poker.

12-29-2005, 06:52 PM
ty sharf

I am putting this in my poker file for future reference

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snarf
12-29-2005, 07:08 PM
you're welcome dude.

also - here are some bogus points to be wary of that other people stated:

"to risk you whole stack on..."
My question: what 'whole' stack are you possibly refering to? Someone elses maybe...

"77 is a slight dog to two overcards..." It is? Since when? Two connected suited overcards maybe...but usually a caller will have like.. AJ o and you're the favorite.

Also - you can only play for set value when you have FAR more than 7 BBs. The odds of hitting it don't equal the implied odds of getting the rest of your stack in...not to mention chip bleeding.

Side Note: I make so many chips off players limp/folding PP on short stacks...