PDA

View Full Version : Standard Deviation Question...

Huh
07-16-2003, 09:57 PM
After moving, I left the majority of my stat books at my folks house and oddly enough I can't find this on the web. I used to know how to do it...I swear....

Anyhow, could anyone give me the equation to compute standard deviation for a standard unit given variable sample sizes. Basically, I want to compute my standard deviation over several sessions each with varying length. I have been squaring/square rooting my std devs to get an idea, but I know the longer sessions should be weighted somehow...

Thanks,
-Huh

BruceZ
07-17-2003, 03:00 AM
See Mason's formula in the essay section. This formula gives your hourly SD. I will soon be posting a derivation of this formula, a way to set it up in Excel, and an alternative form of this formula which has some advantages. This will go on the general theory forum.

ChipWrecked
07-18-2003, 12:35 PM
I let Pokercharts figure mine out. I'm too dim to understand what it's good for anyway (other than as a measure of swings. Kelley betting etc. 'parts my hair'). I notice it gets smaller as my hours played climbs, I figure that must be a good thing. (currently 84)