PDA

View Full Version : $55: Big stack raises, anemic stack folds, Hero???

Taraz
12-05-2005, 09:04 PM
No idea what to do.

***** Hand History for Game 3150846972 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:18019632 Level:8 Blinds(200/400) - Monday, December 05, 20:56:24 EDT 2005
Table Table 66707 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 2: BurroLoco ( $690 )
Seat 4: Mapsfly_1 ( $2865)
Seat 7: Hero ($2760 )
Seat 9: ThatsTheGame ( $3685 )
Trny:18019632 Level:8
Blinds(200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
ThatsTheGame raises [900].
BurroLoco folds.
Mapsfly_1 folds.
Hero???

jeffraider
12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Wow yucky spot! I think I'd tend towards pushing here but I don't feel too strongly about it.

pineapple888
12-05-2005, 09:15 PM
I tried hard to find a reason to get involved, but I couldn't. It's too many chips to flat-call despite the good pot odds. With shorty that short, I reluctantly lay it down.

12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
I prefer to call and push a flop that does not have more then one overcard.

Folding here is bad as everyone will see that a min raise will push u off your blind and you will get put in the same spot again later with a weaker holding.

Pushing is not bad either as u can hurt him if he loses the coin flip and may lay it down. Only problem is that he gets to see 5 cards if you get called. However even against a tight player this is a +ev

tigerite
12-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Probably call. Be aware that ThatsTheGame is a pretty good player.

pineapple888
12-05-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably call. Be aware that ThatsTheGame is a pretty good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then what's your plan, with shorty so short? The dynamics just repeat on the flop... and if you don't push, he will... so you have to push... so why not push now, or just let it go?

bigt439
12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Haven't looked at any replies, I'm in a bit of a hurry because I have a date with drunkness. I think a key thing about this hand is that he is not a huge stack. He is not comfortable getting all-in (because he's a relatively good player... trust me) without a very strong hand. If I'm him, and I'm not, but a lot of good players are making that raise with a lot of hands. I think I might be raising there with any two. Having said that you obviously don't want to bubble. I think you have his range crushed and that he's not calling with a lot of it so I think I bomb away here. But I sweat a bit when I do it (if you're going to play I think you have to push pf).

Taraz
12-05-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Folding here is bad as everyone will see that a min raise will push u off your blind and you will get put in the same spot again later with a weaker holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a good chance that small stack is going to bust next hand. They won't really have another opportunity to minraise me out on my next BB because I won't fold anything decent if there is no small stack muddling matters.

Custer
12-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Unless you have reason to believe that the raiser will lay down reasonable hands (QJ, 44, K9, etc.) anything but folding here is atrocious. Calling is by far your worst option IMO.

moses

bennies
12-06-2005, 06:44 AM
If villain is a good player then let this go. It's possible that a good player pushes a huge range here but only raises to 900 with a special few...

Shillx
12-06-2005, 06:48 AM
He should have pushed here. He should be pushing over 80% of the time here with the stack situation. Everyone is saying that he is a good player, so maybe he has a monster???

He bet enough to put the short stack all-in, so he should have just pushed it to prevent this exact situation. Makes me wonder if he wants you to push over the top of him. Unless you fear a monster I would push this one for sure. If he pushed and he is any good, you should be calling with 99. Plus the extra folding equity and you are good to go. Now if he isn't good and is on a tight range then you should just fold and pick a better spot.

Taraz
12-06-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he pushed and he is any good, you should be calling with 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. If he pushes and short stack folds, you should be folding 99 for sure. Run it through SNG power tools with the push containing any face card and it's still -$EV.

Isn't that the whole idea behind pushing as the big stack when there is a small stack around? Your opponents can't profitably call?

Kristian
12-06-2005, 08:55 AM
My thought is that a thinking player makes this small raise mostly with weak/semi-weak hands with the intention of letting it go. I expect to see a monster rarely and almost never a very good hand. I push.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Fold.

Look at the situation. You are in all-in or fold territory. There are 3 even stacks and one with barely more than he needs to pass through the blinds. Why risk your entire stack against someone who has you covered. You can't put in 1/3 of your stack and then fold later in the hand.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
because he's a relatively good player... trust me

If he's putting in 25% of hgis stack intending to fold to a reraise, he's only good relative to idiots.

I think you have his range crushed

So what you're saying is you're sure he does not have AA-TT, AK-AT, KQ-KT, QJ, QT, JT? Because if even half these hands are in his range, 99 is barely a 3:2 favorite.

Horrible assumption considering the chip situation.

12-06-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
because he's a relatively good player... trust me

If he's putting in 25% of hgis stack intending to fold to a reraise, he's only good relative to idiots.

I think you have his range crushed

So what you're saying is you're sure he does not have AA-TT, AK-AT, KQ-KT, QJ, QT, JT? Because if even half these hands are in his range, 99 is barely a 3:2 favorite.

Horrible assumption considering the chip situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is he will probably fold AT KJ KT QJ and below, and its not very unlikely that he'll be folding AJ QK as well.

I may push this depending on what kind of read I have on this player. TT i probably push 70% of the time, JJ 100%.

handsome
12-06-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He should have pushed here. He should be pushing over 80% of the time here with the stack situation. Everyone is saying that he is a good player, so maybe he has a monster???

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

pooh74
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I cant think of anyway to play this hand besides folding it.

FWIW, I have called here numerous times and I think overall it has hurt me. IOW, I havent called here for a profit, but simply for ego's sake. Folding is the best play.

12-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I think I'd fold. First of all, if it was me making that raise, I'd have a monster probably.

If you push here and get those extra chips, it does help you, but busting out here would be catastrophic. You would have to be very sure he'd fold a lot (>80% of the time I think)

ZeroPointMachine
12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
The only time you should push here is when I am the short stack.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
If you know him that well, I'll accept that. FWIW, I push with JJ, too, but not 99.

Change the chip distribution and I push 99 a lot more. Considering all the stack sizes, I see no reason to risk going broke on this hand even 1/4 of the time.