PDA

View Full Version : Removing ability to delete posts

tonypaladino
12-03-2005, 04:44 AM
OOT is currently getting all [censored]-up by someone who is "ninja bumping", replying to old threads and then deleting their replies in order to get the thread to the top. I really think the ability to delete a post should be removed. If someone wants to get rid of what they said they could just edit it to a blank post.

diebitter
12-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Agree. It's worth the occasional issue of posting something you then change your mind about and can't delete (but can still edit to be blank), than put up with some retarded ninjabumping.

jason_t
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
If it's possible to disable the delete feature for one minute after a post is made, that would be nice. I think that completely disabling the delete feature is a bad idea.

AngryCola
12-03-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's possible to disable the delete feature for one minute after a post is made, that would be nice. I think that completely disabling the delete feature is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

:nod:

tonypaladino
12-03-2005, 07:14 PM
What about changing it so that when we delete a post it just changes the body to "Post Deleted by User" similar to if a mod deleted it?

12-03-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about changing it so that when we delete a post it just changes the body to "Post Deleted by User" similar to if a mod deleted it?

[/ QUOTE ]

At some time that's what happened. I've deleted posts and seen what you suggest (or similar) and I've seen everything gone, also. Does/did it have to do with whether a reply was posted?

12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...retarded ninjabumping...

[/ QUOTE ]

When this happens, I think the "bumpers" s/n shows as being the last poster. I think I've noticed this. If it's a problem, and enough complaints are made, the mods will probably do something about it.

AngryCola
12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does/did it have to do with whether a reply was posted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. If someone has replied to your post, you can no longer remove it completely. It will be replaced by the "Post deleted..." text. So, if you are going to delete one of your own posts, it helps to do it before anyone posts a reply.

tonypaladino
12-04-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When this happens, I think the "bumpers" s/n shows as being the last poster. I think I've noticed this. If it's a problem, and enough complaints are made, the mods will probably do something about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it shows the date and time as the ninja bumper's post, but shows the name of the last poster there, unless you catch the post index before the ninja bump is deleted.

craig r
12-04-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the one that caught the guy last night, right? That was pretty good. I am thinking instead of changing the software they could hire you as a private detective. Maybe you can start an agency. Then we could have a forum for Internal Affairs. Because, who would police the police?

craig

No, it shows the date and time as the ninja bumper's post, but shows the name of the last poster there, unless you catch the post index before the ninja bump is deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
12-04-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You were the one that caught the guy last night, right? That was pretty good. I am thinking instead of changing the software they could hire you as a private detective. Maybe you can start an agency. Then we could have a forum for Internal Affairs. Because, who would police the police?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, Coast Guard?

craig r
12-04-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, Coast Guard?

[/ QUOTE ]

See, if we have that, we will definitely need a shipping/filing system forum. Obviously the Coast Guard would have to communicate with your detective agency. You know, you could become more of a 911 as well. People will post emergencies such as spam, racial slurs, etc...and you could delete it faster than maybe the moderator. And we would have real strict rules on this 911 forum. Like, if you prank call it you have a 6 month ban and if you post something that is not an "emergency", even on accident, you get banned for 3 months. Basically 2+2 could have its own little police department.

craig

tonypaladino
12-04-2005, 06:46 AM
I would definitely be willing to volunteer my time as a 2+2 police officer, but only if I got a blue cop name.

craig r
12-04-2005, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely be willing to volunteer my time as a 2+2 police officer, but only if I got a blue cop name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but people will refer to you as Det. Tony Paladino. I guess at first you would probably need a few assistants for forensics, CSI, and.....ahhhh....man, this would just be too much. Because you can't just "ban" somebody. There needs to be a trial of some kind. Which now means we need judges (we have to make sure one could file for a change of venue), and juries. I don't know if the 2+2 owners and operators are up for it. I think we had something good, but it would be too much work.

craig

p.s. This is the second thread we have hijacked liked this.

tonypaladino
12-04-2005, 07:28 AM
I was gonna say, they should just change this forum to "Tony & Craig Banter" since we are the only ones to ever keep a discussion going on here.

TONY

craig r
12-04-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna say, they should just change this forum to "Tony & Craig Banter" since we are the only ones to ever keep a discussion going on here.

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have had one total serious suggestion. If they did that it would be even funnier if neither of us were the mods though.

craig

Mat Sklansky
12-04-2005, 10:03 AM
I checked the settings and it looks like the only option we have is to totally disable the edit function. I assume this would not be an acceptable fix.