PDA

View Full Version : Not enough talk about Paul Phillips

Beavis68
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I read Paul P's blog about once a week and browse it for any poker content.

I was going to respond to his blog post about Mat Sklansky claiming he didn't know that Paul Phillips was "the" Paul Phillips and found out I was BANNED from posting on his site. That was wierd, I have only post maybe twice in the last year, and those posts remained and caused no controversy. The only thing I could think is that he did it in response to me stating that I didn't feel he added anything sustantial to 2+2 that would be missed. I feel that most of his posts are little pissing contests with other posters. I love his poker strategy posts, but he rarely makes those. I found it really hard to believe that Paul would really remember me enough to ban me but I found this there today aimed at another poster.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, didn't you refer to me as "totally disgraceful" on 2+2? I don't meant to get all remembery on you, but you also started a thread titled, and I'm paraphrasing here, "famous poker players who DON'T suck." So you can understand why I'd find it odd that you'd post in my blog (or even read it, for that matter) like nothing happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like nothing happened? Nothing did happen man, he made a post in a web forum. Not like he pissed on your new shoes.

Beavis68
11-17-2005, 04:47 PM
BTW, here is one of the offending post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tv&Number=3902460&Searchp age=2&Main=3898655&Words=sirio11&topic=&Search=tru e#Post3902460)

He calls his attack on Mason totally disgraceful.

Voltron87
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
no one cares.

Vincent Lepore
11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then what does he expect. Getting banned for speaking the truth is not against Blog policy.

Vince

DesertCat
11-17-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, here is one of the offending post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tv&Number=3902460&Searchp age=2&Main=3898655&Words=sirio11&topic=&Search=tru e#Post3902460)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, Mason banned Paul for criticizing the site's user interface and behavior of mods (no, really!). Paul refused to apologize and made a snappy comment. If you really were dumb enough to think that what Paul did was "disgraceful" I guess you'd be dumb enough to post on his blog pretending like nothing had happened.

And at the risk of being banned, the UI on this site is [censored]. Why am I typing new posts into a 9 line by 28 char text entry box? That's worse than DOS 1.0!

11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Fixed your subject heading.

11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And at the risk of being banned, the UI on this site is [censored]. Why am I typing new posts into a 9 line by 28 char text entry box? That's worse than DOS 1.0!

[/ QUOTE ]

On your home page you can adjust this little problem.

And I thought I was the only one around 2+2 old enough to remember DOS 1.0. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hell, I even remember CP/M!

Beavis68
11-17-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really were dumb enough to think that what Paul did was "disgraceful" I guess you'd be dumb enough to post on his blog pretending like nothing had happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure who "you" is, but that comment was not posted by me. And yeah but I do not think there is anything to pretend about - nothing did happen.

DesertCat
11-17-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not sure who "you" is, but that comment was not posted by me. And yeah but I do not think there is anything to pretend about - nothing did happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I did mean Sirio, not you.

Smoothcall
11-18-2005, 04:00 AM
As another poster said there is wayyy too much talk about phillips. He is not very importnat no matter how much he believes he is. He was just another poster who was rude and didn't contribute much anyway. We didnt lose out he did. How did he get this reputaion as a great poker player anyway?

whiskeytown
11-18-2005, 04:13 AM
well, how about an irresponsible stereotype that will get me banned from ever posting on Paul's blog ever again /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IT (information technology) types are notorious for being egomaniacs who will easily pack up their ball and go home if they perceive a slight against them. Paul Phillips is an IT type person.

Having said that, one must treat the geeks with caution, not to offend them too badly or make them feel unloved or unappreciated -

I sorta got to the point where I knew a Paul Phillips post was gonna be a criticism of someone - I'm struggling to remember a post that gave out good poker strategy or discussion - he has them on his blog, but he wasn't too sharing on here.

Hence all the overreacting on the part of both parties - but I doubt now that peace will be made....

and I doubt I care.

RB

brettbrettr
11-18-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did he get this reputaion as a great poker player anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think being a great poker player had something to do with it.

Vincent Lepore
11-18-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes more from guys that make comments like yours who THINK he is a GREAT player. Instead of the sarcasm why not explain why he is a great player and just how you have come to that conclusion.

Vince

brettbrettr
11-18-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it comes more from guys that make comments like yours who THINK he is a GREAT player. Instead of the sarcasm why not explain why he is a great player and just how you have come to that conclusion.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

Go and read his blog. He has some interesting things to say about interesting hands. Sure, most of the time he's screwing around and not talking about a hand, but if you look at the entries where he does discuss hands, you'll see what I mean.

I also want to add that I'm in the minorty of posters on this board who care about the WPT, other players, things like this. I care about my game, how I'm playing, and talk to friends about their game. I don't watch the WPT regularly, don't really care much. I read pros blogs form time to time, but that's it.

However, from what I've seen and read on Paul's blog, on those occasions I read it, Paul Phillips is a very, very intelligent guy and a great player. I've also read other players about him, and, yeah, they say he's a hell of a player. Daniel Negreanu called him one of the most underrated players there is. Perhaps you find Daniel credible? So, yeah, overall, I have no reason to say he's a great player other than his results and the words of other generally admired players. But no personal experience, of course.

Anyway, this is silly. I really don't care if you don't like Paul Phillips and I really don't care if he's banned from 2+2 or not. He didn't post or contribute anything anyways so it doesn't matter at all. *But* to the people like you Lepore who don't see the funny in his "hitler youth" comment EVEN AFTER ITS BEEN [censored] SPOONFED TO YOU, well, that's your loss. On this list of things in this world that pass you by, I don't think Paul Phillips should be much of a priority.

SinCityGuy
11-18-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did he get this reputaion as a great poker player anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=1134) has something to do with it.

Smoothcall
11-18-2005, 09:17 PM
I was wondering who would be the first to send the hendom mob stats. lol. You know what the hendon stats dont calculate? How many he actually played. All these guys that have accomplishments on the hendom mob lists are guys that play tons of big tournies. Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays. But these are the tings people dont think about. They just see the money finishes. They dont see the million buy ins he used to get these average numbers.

Army Eye
11-18-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering who would be the first to send the hendom mob stats. lol. You know what the hendon stats dont calculate? How many he actually played. All these guys that have accomplishments on the hendom mob lists are guys that play tons of big tournies. Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays. But these are the tings people dont think about. They just see the money finishes. They dont see the million buy ins he used to get these average numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, a six outer on the river, that's cute. The money went in preflop, AQ vs TT.

Smoothcall
11-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Yes it did. But he was goping out 3rd til he hit a 6 outer on river.

DesertCat
11-19-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly was it that good? besides his wpt champoinship he won (because he hit a 6 outer on the river against gus hansen otherwise 3rd) the stats arent that impressive for as many tournies as he plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Hendon Mob is incomplete. He's made 10 WPT and WSOP final tables, plus a final table at Turning Stone during their big live tourney, in the last four years. There are very few players with better records in the same span.

Of course Gus Hanson and other WPT winners (like Mel Judah) have never outdrawn anyone while winning their titles. LOL!