PDA

View Full Version : AQo versus reraise allin

betgo
11-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Live daily tournament. 3 of 10 tables left. Hero is table chip leader with T31K. Villain is second biggest stack with T13K. Blinds 400/800/100.

Hero has played tight/aggressive troughout, is a cautious player, but more aggressive than table with big stack and some passive players. Villain started playing solidly, but has become the most aggressive player at the table. Villain appears to be a strong player and not reckless.

Hero raises to 3000 in 2nd position with AQo. Villain reraises allin for 13000 in 4th position, others fold. Hero is getting 1.8-1 pot odds. Should hero call? What range of hands would you put villain on?

Skjonne
11-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Obvious fold to me. Villain doesn't risk his hole stack with a semi good hand with most of the table still to act (I'm assumming the other players can criple him if not bust him). He'll be respecting your raise more as it comes from EP.

Given your reads, I'd put him on AA-JJ, AK-AQ or maybe even more narrow.

betgo
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Another question. What pot odds would you need to call here?

schwza
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
i would definitely fold here. to call i'd need significantly more pot odds - maybe 2.3:1. one reason is that if i were getting that good odds then it would be less likely to be a resteal with a weak hand.

Skjonne
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another question. What pot odds would you need to call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If my math is correct you're a 2:1 dog against the range I mentioned. And I really think that range is too wide in the given setting.

Against AA, KK, QQ, AK you're a 3:1 dog

Now I fold even more

betgo
11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
I was villain in this hand. Actually I think my opponent was getting about 2.0-1. He called, showed AQo, and said, "I hope I'm not dominated." I should have had a snappy reply to that, but I just turned over QQ. After he busted me out, he said he called because he thought I was running over the table.

JustPlayingSmart
11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
If villain is strong and not reckless, I would give him TT+, AK+. Villain is a 2.3-1 dog to that range.

In the heat of battle, if I was given 2-1 pot odds, I would almost certainly call with AQ. I would also probably open to 2000-2400.

betgo
11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also probably open to 2000-2400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have just open pushed if I were my opponent. I was the only one who could make a reraise he would consider folding to. Even with the big stack, why play a pot out of position.

He could miniraise if he wanted the option to fold to a reraise, but AQo is not a good hand to do that with. Miniraise with a big pair or a stealing hand.

JustPlayingSmart
11-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know if I agree with this. What hands that you would push over the top of a normal raise would you fold if he just moved in? Certainly not QQ+, I doubt AK, JJ, but maybe TT? As for the other players, with chip leader's stack, I don't really think he would mind playing pots with AQ against their ranges. Part of the reason I like to play a big stack is because I can take coin flips. If I lose them, I am still comfortable, and if I win them, I just have more chips to take more coin flips. I have to lose a couple coin flips in a row to have my stack hurt.

11-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Hand Range:

Villain: 99+,AJs+,AJo+
Hero: AQo

Equity: 57.4%/42.6%

This also might be a bit loose of a hand range for Villain. Take out AJo and AJs and your left with just 35.5% equity. I just get out of the way here.

lotus776
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
just let the AQo go, why would you risk a great portion of your stack on a situation that could be at best a coin flip?

let the AQ go...it's gonna be okay, especially if you're the big stack...you've got time to wait

lotus776
11-09-2005, 09:32 PM
agreed, just release the hand...it'd be different if you could evaluate from the flop but you don't have that option. just release

11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
A point to consider is how well Hero plays with a huge stack. If its a really good part of his game, and he feels he can control the table ... then I might take a nuetral or slight -EV here for greater EV in the future.

JustPlayingSmart
11-09-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A point to consider is how well Hero plays with a large stack. If its a really good part of his game, and he feels he can control the table ... then I might take a nuetral or slight -EV here for greater EV in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero already has a large stack. He is 31k and next at the table is 13k. The only thing this hand could do would be to drop him from huge stack to big stack.