PDA

View Full Version : Strange betting pattern....

11-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Villain is 26/5/1

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB

Preflop and flop are standard. What about the turn check? What about the river bet and call?

Lmn55d
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey, I like the turn check. Aces and Kings are fairly popular hands for a guy with these stats to be limping preflop I think. Yea, he could have something like J9 or Q9 but he probably wouldn't call a turn bet anyway and checking will often induce a call from these hands. You give a free card to JT/QT but I don't think this is enough of a reason to bet in this fairly small pot.

The river doesn't make much sense at all. Maybe he knows you'll value bet a king or something and has a big hand? It seems like you're gonna be beat here a ton, especially since there aren't too many draws on the flop and this guy's stat indicate he's fairly weak.

New001
11-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I think I bet the turn here intending to check the river. There's a decent chance he's peeling the flop with something very weak, and I guess there's always the chance he folds a small pair when the Ace comes.

kapw7
11-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I would bet-fold the turn
Calling the river raise doesn't look right but I would be curious to see wtf he's playing like that. 88/98?

Spartan1983
11-06-2005, 12:26 AM
I think I like a turn bet. After a preflop raise, seems like no one is ever scared of a K high flop, but once they see the A they run. If he calls, I'd probably check behind on the river. If he raises I either fold right there or UI on the river.

11-06-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After a preflop raise, seems like no one is ever scared of a K high flop....

[/ QUOTE ]
The exact opposite is true. Kxx is the perfect bluff flop. If anyone reasonable calls a bet on a flop like that, you can successfully give up on the turn.

Lmn55d
11-06-2005, 02:02 AM
you don't want him folding a small pair dawg.

Magikist
11-06-2005, 02:12 AM
In my experience, this is one of two things.

A.) Your opponent has an Ace and is sophisticated and savvy enough to know that you will value bet a worse hand when checked to on the river and probably pay off a checkraise enough of the time to justify him not simply leading out. This is a pretty sexy play, though, and therefore unlikely considering the opponent.

B.) He found two pair somewhere along the line, and is one of those bad players who believe that it's a crime not to checkraise a big street with two pair. This is definitely the more likely scenario.

Either way, you're toast, and should probably fold given that this opponent is never checkraise bluffing the river better than 1 in 8 times.

It's a curious line, though, and I don't blame you for paying off to get a read on this guy (to see how tricky he is).

KDawgCometh
11-06-2005, 04:25 AM
I'd rather bet/fold the turn, but, your turn check opened you up to getting bluffed on the river possibly. I think that if you are gonna check the turn then you should be checking the river also

11-06-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather bet/fold the turn, but, your turn check opened you up to getting bluffed on the river possibly. I think that if you are gonna check the turn then you should be checking the river also

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't bet/folding the turn open you up to more of a bluff? If you check the turn, you can call the same single bet on the river and see a showdown. I don't plan on folding once I check the turn, so I will be picking off any bluffs. One of the best ways to use position to our advantage is to check behind sometimes.

kapw7
11-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Do you think that this player can bluff check-raise you with anything that you beat given the board and the action?
FWIW I don't mind how you played and I use a similar line sometimes but for this particular hand I prefer the turn bet-fold as a standard line

Wynton
11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Posting blind.

If you check the turn, I think you should just call the river or bet/fold the river.

Otherwise, you can bet the turn, and if called, check behind the river. Or lastly, check turn and just call river.

But I really don't see you ahead once raised on that river.

11-06-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Posting blind.

If you check the turn, I think you should just call the river or bet/fold the river.

Otherwise, you can bet the turn, and if called, check behind the river. Or lastly, check turn and just call river.

But I really don't see you ahead once raised on that river.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of hands can you put villain on when he raises the river?

Wynton
11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Villain's stats make him out to be very passive, correct? So I assume that a river raise means he's got at least a pair of Kings, and probably better.

setjes
11-06-2005, 01:08 PM
An aggro villain can make a c/r with a wide range of hands since he smells weakness, so a bet/call would be in order. I think against this player u got an easy bet/fold.

slik
11-06-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't bet/folding the turn open you up to more of a bluff? If you check the turn, you can call the same single bet on the river and see a showdown. I don't plan on folding once I check the turn, so I will be picking off any bluffs. One of the best ways to use position to our advantage is to check behind sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I check behind often here too. I played in a hand much similar to this and villain cr'ed a pair of 9s or 8s that he thought was good. The way you played the hand, it looks like you have a mid pair or that you're on a total bluff. so villain might actually cr on a value bluff. there aren't too many opponents that check an ace on the river here. perhaps a king, but even those would not usually cr. you have to call, if for nothing else, for future reference on how to play this opponent -- as this is strange.

paco
11-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the check, and I think this is a perfect spot to induce a bluff/ increase liklihood of getting paid off on river.
If villian has less than A or K we will very likely lose him on the turn. On this turn we are pretty far ahead or way way behind. If our hand is best we bet and lose him when we wanted him to stay, if our hand is worse we still only pay one bet to show our hand down. In addition, he may bluff river with hand he would not have called turn or river with, will be more likely to pay off with a worse hand with our weird turn check (pair of 9's, pp), and we get to draw to our unlikely 2 outer.

Edit: oh, I think you need to bet when checked to and fold to a c/r against a non-maniac. In my experience, a 5/10 non-maniac river c/r can beat top pair 9/10 times. With third pair I don't think you're call is +ev. Yes, it was weird and my curiosity might get the better of me here too but I don't think its right to call.