PDA

View Full Version : Basic processor questions

sfer
10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Shopping for a new desktop, I go to the Dell popup to see the differences between processors. I get this:

IntelŪ PentiumŪ Extreme Edition Dual Core Processor with HT Technology Cutting edge processing power for intense multi-threaded games and applications.
IntelŪ PentiumŪ D Processor with Dual Core Technology Accomplish more while running multiple applications, such as editing video while downloading music.
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition Advanced performance running multiple high-end games and/or demanding power applications at the same time.

Can someone differentiate these?

KenProspero
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
What do you intend to use your computer for?

10-31-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IntelŪ PentiumŪ Extreme Edition Dual Core Processor with HT Technology Cutting edge processing power for intense multi-threaded games and applications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a dual core processor (essentially two processors in one) but I have no knowledge of this processor.

[ QUOTE ]
IntelŪ PentiumŪ D Processor with Dual Core Technology Accomplish more while running multiple applications, such as editing video while downloading music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pentium D is basically two Pentium 3 processors in one. Pentium 3 processors run cooler and more efficiently than Pentium 4s, hence their use in dual cores.

[ QUOTE ]
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition Advanced performance running multiple high-end games and/or demanding power applications at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Single core Pentium 4 Processor.

Your choice really depends on how you are going to use the computer.

MisterW

sfer
10-31-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pentium D is basically two Pentium 3 processors in one. Pentium 3 processors run cooler and more efficiently than Pentium 4s, hence their use in dual cores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the OS parcel out tasks such that computations are optimized?

MyMindIsGoing
10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does the OS parcel out tasks such that computations are optimized?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the OS supports it, yes.