PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars Bonus Math

TheRempel
10-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Alright, I'm rebuilding a bankroll playing low limit PLO. I typically play $100 and $200 PLO but ran bad in august/september and am bonus whoring to get back into those games.

I have $430 on Pokerstars and 225 more FPP needed to clear the $150 bonus. Pokerstars rewards fpp at basically 1 per $20 pot. This means I'm clearing between 15 and 20 FPP on an hourly basis 4-tabling $25 PLO. I'll have to play between 10 and 15 more hours at this level to clear the bonus at this rate.

Here's the question:

If I buy in for a minimal amount at the $100 tables, I will recieve a FPP for the vast majority of hands I play. I figure I can clear it in about an hour and a half 4-tabling at this level with $40 buy ins.

Does the risk/reward ratio justify this gamble?

primetime32
10-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Not sure what your exact risk is. I don't play to clear a bonus, i play my game, and if i clear the bonus in the interim, great. If you can play good poker 4 tabling, then why not. But if you will sacrifice the quality of your game, then its probably not worth it.

Also, what is the rush to clear the bonus? I am all for getting through the bonuses, but unless you are desperate for the cash, you are better off just playing your normal game and letting the bonus clear normally.

TheRempel
10-23-2005, 01:29 AM
The bonus will create a somewhat signifigant increase in my bankroll, and I have other bonuses I wish to clear.

jrz1972
10-23-2005, 08:37 AM
If $150 represents a significant increase in your bankroll, you probably shouldn't be sitting at the $100 NL tables.

It sounds like you don't protect your roll very well.

JayLeno
10-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Stay away.
Its gambling!

GMan42
10-23-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If $150 represents a significant increase in your bankroll, you probably shouldn't be sitting at the $100 NL tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

pzhon
10-24-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I buy in for a minimal amount at the $100 tables, I will recieve a FPP for the vast majority of hands I play. I figure I can clear it in about an hour and a half 4-tabling at this level with $40 buy ins.

Does the risk/reward ratio justify this gamble?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are risking more, and I think your reward is lower, so the risk/reward ratio alone doesn't justify this. That you value your time might justify it, though. If you want to make this a math problem, you should determine your win rates when you have a short stack in a tougher game and with a deeper stack in a softer game, your variance in each game, how much you value your time, and your risk aversion.

For those who hadn't considered playing Omaha, it is often a safe, rapid way to clear bonuses because

/images/graemlins/diamond.gif The pots are much larger than the blinds. You can play tightly and let other people pay the rake that justifies your bonus.
/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Many players have no idea how to evaluate a hand, so it is easy to beat the games. Fish get rewarded with making pretty hands to compensate them for losing more.

Elijah Bailey
10-25-2005, 10:29 AM
One of the best ways to clear the stars bonus is via sit n go's. Stars gives 5 FPP's per $1 of tourny fees so sit n go's and tournys are played rake free.