PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining an image

Riposte
10-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I predominantly play the $25NL 6max tables. People here seem to think these players don't adjust to our play or don't even take notice at these stakes (maybe they aren't as LAG as me with 30/16 stats?). But from my experience most players, especially the loose donks that infest these stakes ALWAYS take notice. At least one or two guys at a table will notice my LAG tendencies and start calling all of my preflop raises and c-bet bluffs.

So after a while of trying to run over the table in this way, I feel that my image just starts to cause too much trouble and my PFRs and c-bets stop being profitable. What are some ways to handle this? Leave the table? Tighten up for 30 minutes or something? Continue to PFR as normally but stop c-betting until you have a hand with good equity?

Godfather80
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I predominantly play the $25NL 6max tables. People here seem to think these players don't adjust to our play or don't even take notice at these stakes (maybe they aren't as LAG as me with 30/16 stats?). But from my experience most players, especially the loose donks that infest these stakes ALWAYS take notice. At least one or two guys at a table will notice my LAG tendencies and start calling all of my preflop raises and c-bet bluffs.

So after a while of trying to run over the table in this way, I feel that my image just starts to cause too much trouble and my PFRs and c-bets stop being profitable. What are some ways to handle this? Leave the table? Tighten up for 30 minutes or something? Continue to PFR as normally but stop c-betting until you have a hand with good equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Change gears and play like me at NL25 full table: 17/4/4. Then, after a while, change back. Keep doing this.

ajmargarine
10-20-2005, 04:08 PM
I also think the other players notice things a little more than we tend to give them credit for around here. They can still play dumb, but they at least are aware of some of the things that you are doing.

Mix it up is an answer to your question. Play LAG, play TAG, be a loose calling station, be the dreaded tight weak for a few playable hands. I always say I am TAG, but truth be told, I'm probably not. I'm always adjusting and doing different things like playing crap hole cards OOP. Mix things up, play the opposite of what the table is playing, try to get the most value out of your made hands that you can. If you are shucking and jiving from time to time, you should be able to get paid off and keep the villians from playing back at you when you don't want them to.

Riposte
10-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Cool thanks for the reply. What's a good timeframe with which to tighten up you think?

subzero
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Well if they see you as a LAG and they're adjusting to your play, it's time to switch gears. Don't leave the table. Take advantage of your table image and switch it up (play tighter). If you get a big hand now, it sounds like you'll get action.

Godfather80
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool thanks for the reply. What's a good timeframe with which to tighten up you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really change gears because my games allow me to get paid off every time a hit a big hand anyway. However, I would say you shift to something more near my style after your opponents start calling your c-bets and switch back to your style some time after your opponents stop calling your value bets on flops. It's all by feel. You may not need to switch back for awhile if your opponents have plenty of money.

Mercman572
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah after a while when you bowl them over they notice. pay particular attention to HOW they react. I saw one guy with what would be considered solid stats play back at me post, he 3 bet A/I against me with his AK overs and I was forced to fold my pair of 4s that I figured were good. BUT I realized after a few more minutes that he WOULDN'T change preflop. This seems to be the general trend. Also, when you do get called, most players will play back mainly on the flop, so don't cbet flop when you miss, but do do it when you hit (for a short period of time). The turn then becomes the time to push the weakies off their hand sice they give it up by then and figure "he has a hand this time." or if they are really weak, do cbet be prepared to fire a second barrel, but this need a much better read bc villain may be more inclined to call down with say middle pair

amoeba
10-20-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watch how wtfsvi plays in 2+2 games.

Riposte
10-20-2005, 04:17 PM
What site? Should I PM you for this?

Godfather80
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

watch how wtfsvi plays in 2+2 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see this as well.

jhall23
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't say you should use a timeframe. Just once you start to notice that players are adjusting to your play calling more cb's etc. Then switch gears a little. Start to CB with less frequency, occasionally check behind the flop with TP or an Overpair against certain opponents, things like that. Once they start seeing winners again after a while and you get more folds then switch it back.

I do agree with you though that even some bad players adjust some in 6 max. It's not hard to notice something about who you play when there are only 5 others at the table. The good thing is that they usually over-adjust and you can take advantage.

amoeba
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
nah.

I thought you regularly played the party 2+2 nl25 gamesbut I guess not.

anyways the gist of it is covered by Jhall below. part of the advantage of raising trash is that it'll help you get paid off on real hands later assuming you don't continue dropping what you earned from the big hands CBing with trash.

you want to make money off your continuation bets with trash until they catch on. usually you'll see a lot more calls on the flop or even checkraises with underpairs, midpairs, etc....

at this point, you've achieved what you wanted, which is altering their play, and now you switch to compensate.

same thing with the opposite. Say I'm playing ABC and there is a setminer, then I switch to raising more hands preflop as he won't hit the set that often and he has to check fold to my continuation bet. once he realizes I'm not raising just premium hands anymore, he might start loosening up postflop and thats when I switch back to ABC.