PDA

View Full Version : I swear I'm not a calling station

xorbie
10-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($101.80)
SB ($161.95)
BB ($99.90)
UTG ($33.45)
MP ($61.74)
CO ($410.01)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($10.50) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, MP calls $2, CO folds, Hero calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($16.50) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $5.

River: ($26.50) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Final Pot: $46.50

Last hand of the night I swear. Villain is 45/13, bit of a donkey. I saw him 3-bet all in with K6 on a K high flop earlier, so he obviously over values his hands. I also saw him minbet two streets earlier with NPND after limping in with J6s and then minbetting again on the river when he hit a J. That's about it for reads.

amoeba
10-20-2005, 03:35 AM
yeah, you don't know if he is doing the " I am slowplaying a 7" or the "let me see next street cheaply" underbet.

looking at the amounts though I would lean towards the latter.

mason55
10-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Your title weaves a web of lies and deceit.

I am curious about this hand because I find myself doing this occasionally in this basic situation. I feel so dirty but man... Sometimes if this is wrong, I don't want to be right.

yvesaint
10-20-2005, 03:45 AM
mmmm i know youre gonna hate this but fold pre-flop

yes it's a mini-raise, but i just dont see 42s being +EV to play in any sort of pot, multiway, heads up, etc. etc.

that being said, just fold the river. UTG is short-stacked, and i really dont think you want to be going to showdown with 2s against a short-stacked donk. hes only got 12 left in his stack right now. he also min-raised UTG. his hand range is probably any pocket pair, and anything that looks pretty.

and a lot of that hand range beats you on this board.

there's a lot of better places to take these short stacks out. overpairs work. TPTK works. in fact, TPGK is probably good to stack him too.

10-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Yah my gut reaction was like "this is horrible"

but then i was like, well.... maybe..

dunno about preflop thought, pretty marginal

xorbie
10-20-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

mmmm i know youre gonna hate this but fold pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're right about me hating it, but also right that's its probably -EV. I just /images/graemlins/heart.gif my button, and will defend it vociferously.

Bukem_
10-20-2005, 03:55 AM
This is 100% fish hand and you know it.

yvesaint
10-20-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, you're right about me hating it, but also right that's its probably -EV. I just /images/graemlins/heart.gif my button, and will defend it vociferously.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it is -EV though, it's very marginally -EV. the only problem is with calling pre-flop with 42s, you tend to talk yourself into continuing post-flop with hands like this.

pre-flop is just personal discretion, i dont find it to be a huge important part of the game (especially with deeper stacks)

if youre a good player, yes, you can open up more pre-flop, but i think calling this down like this is spewing.

xorbie
10-20-2005, 03:57 AM
I think the river is maybe -EV, maaaaybe. Turn and flop no way. I have odds on my flush draw alone.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the river is maybe -EV, maaaaybe. Turn and flop no way. I have odds on my flush draw alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, looking at this slightly more sober, I think you are always beat on the river unless you have seen villain fir a third barrel. The thing is, most people will fire a third barrel more than half pot. I think that you're losing way more often than 3.5:1. The rest of the hand is fine and I call this preflop all every time.

xorbie
10-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Given previous hands I have seen villain in, he doesn't strike you as borderline retarded?

Malachii
10-20-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are always beat on the river unless you have seen villain fir a third barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't this is necessarily the case. Fish will frequently make these weak leads with flush draws, straight draws, missed overcards on flop and turn as a weak lead and then bluff a missed draw on the river. I see it all the time. I call here too.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given previous hands I have seen villain in, he doesn't strike you as borderline retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

From your basic reads, it looks like he just bets based on the perceived strength of his hand. Min-bet = nothing. Sine the only thing you beat is ace high and he is betting more than min-bets I give him credit for something that beats ducks. This looks like the stereotypical play from a donkey who has a 3 and is scared. Maybe 5's or 6's. Without more hands against this guy I just can't feel comfortable calling the river.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are always beat on the river unless you have seen villain fir a third barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't this is necessarily the case. Fish will frequently make these weak leads with flush draws, straight draws, missed overcards on flop and turn as a weak lead and then bluff a missed draw on the river. I see it all the time. I call here too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that there's only a certain class of fish who make this weak bluff on the river, whether or not they were drawing the whole time. If I know it's this kind of fish I make the call all day. Otherwise I think the river is a default fold. It looks way too much like a mediocre hand. The problem is that any mediocre hand beats hero's hand. If villain has shown the ability to lay down a hand I think I turn raise is good, otherwise a river fold seems warranted as a default. Again, with a read this can turn into an easy call. Two orbits does not make a good read.

xorbie
10-20-2005, 04:20 AM
I dunno. As it happened he had K9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Honestly I think his slight increase in betsize seemed to me to be a "pls fold" and that he woudlda bet stronger with anything good. Getting 3.5:1 I only need to like 22% on the river, and it's (a) good to see what he has and (b) good metagame if I do win because there's nothing like a good calling station image for getting retards to "value bet" shitty hands.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:30 AM
nh. Maybe I haven't spent enough time at 100NL but these look like donkey value bets with a 7 to me. This would be one of those hands where I would say "man, this is slightly -ev but I made it to the river I might as well take a shot by calling" and [censored] my pants when I won. I still think he has you beat more than 23%, you calling station /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do think it's good for your image to call these small bets and show down your garbage.

xorbie
10-20-2005, 04:32 AM
Yeah plus after the hand I typed "pwned" into the chatbox which was funny, and then I think I pwned the rest of the table anally but probably got sucked out on and lost all my money and broke even cuz poker sucks.

mason55
10-20-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah plus after the hand I typed "pwned" into the chatbox which was funny, and then I think I pwned the rest of the table anally but probably got sucked out on and lost all my money and broke even cuz poker sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing makes me feel better than typing "pwned" after I suck out.

You &lt;&gt;&lt;.