PDA

View Full Version : Dell 9300 questions

grinin
10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Assuming there are going to be some great coupons out there for the quarter end, I am going to be buying one of these this month. Would appreciate some input. Unit will be used almost exclusively for Poker.

Memory 512 vs 1 gig adds about $135 list
Should I consider getting the 512 and adding memory from NewEgg? If it is a 40% coupon it will actually only cost about $80 (I think unless I save $50 it is not worth it)

Windows XP Media center ok?
I don't do any networking at the moment and my desktop has XP home on it

7200 rpm hard drive?
I don't have a need for a lot of storage however I do use PT which I understand works faster with the faster hard drive, correct? So is this a good upgrade?

Wireless
I have a cable modem and a desktop and am excited about my first opportunity of going wireless. I would like to be able take my laptop to one of my local coffee shops and use it there etc. Am also considering the verizon national broadband plan in the future (4-8 months). However I know nothing about this stuff. The price differences are negligible so whatever is recommended I will do. I guess I should get the Intel 2915 which has a/b/g technologies as opposed to the other card which only has b/g. I don't have any bluetooth accessories, should I even consider it?

Batteries
Assuming that 95% of my computing will be in my home should I just stick with the 6 cell to keep the unit as light as possible?

Port replicator
I have a desktop and a 2001 FP that I will be converting over to entirely business use. So If I want to play on my 2001 FP should I consider getting this?

Router
Should I get this from Dell? I have a 2 story home and have no idea what the differences in these things are:
Netgear WGR614 Cable/DSL Wireless Router $55
Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router $80
Netgear WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router $100
Netgear Wireless Router and McAfee Home Security Software Bundle $90

Thanks for any input

Ed Miller
10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
The 9300 is now my main squeeze. I got it about three months ago. It rules.

First rule... don't buy any "extras" from Dell. They are at ripoff prices. That includes RAM.

Installing the RAM was easy as pie. I bought 2GB from Newegg for not a whole lot. You just screw off the panel on the bottom, pop in the two DIMMs, and screw it back on. Definitely buy your RAM from Newegg.

Likewise, don't buy routers from Dell. I'd recommend a Linksys wireless router... my fiancee has one with a cable modem included inside (so you just plug cable into router, and that's it.. no more wires). But you can get them without the cable modem at a lower price. I don't think you'll have problem getting signal in your home as long as it's not enormous.

I got the Bluetooth even though I don't have devices. It was minimal cost, and I figure I'll want it at some point for something.

Anyway, it's an awesome computer. I highly recommend it. If you are interested in a bag to carry it around, I recommend the Pacific Design messenger or backpack. I got the backpack, and I really like it.

KenProspero
10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Re Memory -- if you're getting 512 megs, find out whether it's one chip or two. Get it on one chip if possible (will make the upgrade easier if you need it).

Battery -- If weight is the concern, go for the longer battery life, even if it adds a cuple of ounces. However, at $99 it's your choice. I was disappointed that you can't get a modular battery for this laptop. (With my D610, I can swap the CD rom for an extra battery and get 6-7 hours!!, or I can remove both and get the weight down to less that 5lbs).

Other 'stuff'

I generally agree with Ed about buying anything from Dell. However, Dell is really wierd, and sometimes they have great deals on odd stuff, so you have to look carefully, when you buy. Also check out the price both from Dell Home/Home Office and Dell Small Business. The difference for the same machine can be $100 sometimes.

Things I'd consider buying:

It's probably worth $10 to get the XP operating cd, in case you have to reinstall.

Memory upgrade to a gig is $140 if you buy from Dell Home, only $100 if you buy from Dell Small Business (512 megs is likely to be enough though).

Spare power adapter -- $29, if you're going to use the laptop in more than one place (home/office) and want to cut down on weight.

When I bought, if you bought Office Basic, they threw in Adobe Acrobat for free. The combo price was cheaper than acrobat alone.

winchips
10-19-2005, 04:00 PM
i have found this:
I have been waiting and waiting to buy one at a good price.
Can anyone tell me if i have waited long enough? Is this worth $1000?

Thanks

Inspiron 9300
Date & Time: October 19,2005 2:57 PM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Inspiron 9300 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Unit Price $1,499.00
Dell Small Business: $500 off Inspiron 9300 notebooks.
October 21st at 5pm CT or when 1,000 units have been sold. Remove Coupon
- $500.00

Catalog Number: 4
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
Video Card ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Productivity Software No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year Mail-In Economy Plan
Onsite System Setup No Onsite System Setup
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Digital Imaging Photo Album™ SE Basic
Mail- In Rebate None
Miscellaneous Inspiron 9300
Financial Software Pre-Installed No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.

TOTAL:$999.00

--------------------------------------------------------

joyride
10-19-2005, 04:03 PM
You have waited long enough. BUY! BUY!

In fact, if the coupon is still usable by tomorrow morning, I'm getting in on that deal, too.

winchips
10-19-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In fact, if the coupon is still usable by tomorrow morning, I'm getting in on that deal, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i am a big time wimp.....i have been waiting and waiting. Anyone else agree? Pull the trigger?
all is okay with that one...no additions needed?

Here is the link for those interested in buying one (i upgraded to uxga for 1600x1200):
http://www.gotapex.com/

Luzion
10-20-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i am a big time wimp.....i have been waiting and waiting. Anyone else agree? Pull the trigger?
all is okay with that one...no additions needed?

Here is the link for those interested in buying one (i upgraded to uxga for 1600x1200):
http://www.gotapex.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats probably the best deal you are gonna get anytime soon. That is, unless Dell will let you stack the upcoming 30% off Inspirons over $1499 and -$300 off any Inspiron laptop over $1499.

Ive been waiting for several weeks, and I finally decide I will buy the Inspiron 6000 for sure tomorrow. Tomorrow, if I can stack the -$200 off any +$999 Inspiron and the 25% off any $999 Inspiron, I will let you know. If that happens, you should be able to stack the -$300/$1499 and 30%/$1499 coupon on Saturday.

joyride
10-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Well, I ordered mine this morning and the coupon is still good. Total cost=about $1150

I say "about", because I looked back over the order form and realized that, hey, I forgot to upgrade the damn battery. If I'm going to have a behometh of a laptop, I might as well not have to lug the adapter around with me, right? Right.

grinin
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Hope you got the 6 cell for free and then added the spare 9 cell for $129. That way you even have a spare battery for $30 more than the cost of the 9 cell alone.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to ask the 7200 rpm question again as a separate post because it is fairly important to me.

Luzion
10-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I just bought my Inspiron 6000 this morning. I was disappointed because I couldnt get two deals to stack in Home/Home Office.

So, you are better off just using the $500 coupon for the Inspiron 9300 in the Small Business section of Dell. Hope you buy it soon because the coupons expire at 5pm CST.