PDA

View Full Version : Felt lost and hit my hand on the river

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Live 9-handed NL table, blinds 5/5. Villain in this hand has played very loose so far and likes to play for example any two suited.

I'm in late position with stack ~500 and get dealt K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif.

One or two limpers to me and I raise to 30. Villain calls from EP and everyone else folds.

Two players to the flop. Pot is 70.

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Villain checks to me. It looks like a "I have nothing"-check more than a check-raise attempt. I bet out 40. He quickly calls.

Turn comes something like 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

He checks. I check.

River: T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Pot is 150. He bets out 200, I raise for my remaining 400.

I don't feel confident at all about the way I played this hand. I definitely need to improve my play in common situations like this one.

Was the continuation bet correct or should I just have taken the free card? Is it correct to give up when he calls the flop and check behind on the turn? Is the raise on the river correct?

Any advice welcome!

meleader2
10-11-2005, 10:53 AM
the continuation bet is ok if he has 22, 33, 44, 55, 77 or 88 and you are seen as tight. however, he has 66 right now and there's no way you could have known that...he slowplayed himself to death though, nh

pottie
10-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Flop and turn play looks fine, my cb is 50 on the flop.

With no read on the river overbet I might just call the river.

meleader2
10-11-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

With no read on the river overbet I might just call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way he has a flush, villain called 40$ on the flop with....what exactly? villain didn't even lead the turn, then pots the river? your straight is good.

4_2_it
10-11-2005, 11:04 AM
You sucked out g00t.

Nothing wrong with your continuation bet. I can't see villain calling your bet with 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif so he probably has an A with a bad kicker (10?) or a set of 6's as a previous poster mentioned. He either badly misplayed his set or got unlucky with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 50 instead of 40 makes much of a difference here. This guy had, as I mentioned, played very loose and if he had some kind of hand he would probably call my flop bet regardless bet size.

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't completely disregard the possiblities of a flush with this guy. He could have hit the flop with hands like J /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

What are the hands I beat that will call my river raise? Two pair seem rather unlikely from the betting sequence, and I don't think he's as strong as a set if he didn't river it with TT.

meleader2
10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't completely disregard the possiblities of a flush with this guy. He could have hit the flop with hands like J /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

What are the hands I beat that will call my river raise? Two pair seem rather unlikely from the betting sequence, and I don't think he's as strong as a set if he didn't river it with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sticking with my read of 66

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I loved to be the one doing the suckout for once. Have to do that more often... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Villain folded to the river raise, showing T /images/graemlins/club.gif before mucking. No set with 66 there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

meleader2
10-11-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain folded to the river raise, showing T /images/graemlins/club.gif before mucking. No set with 66 there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh well. i am bad at reads any way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I really don't know how he could call that flop bet anyway. He must have had only a KT or QT for the gutshot. With hands like AT, JT or TT I think he would definitely have called the river raise. The river bet is maybe even more questionable than the flop call...

meleader2
10-11-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know how he could call that flop bet anyway. He must have had only a KT or QT for the gutshot. With hands like AT, JT or TT I think he would definitely have called the river raise. The river bet is maybe even more questionable than the flop call...

[/ QUOTE ]

any 2 suited could be T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Not even this loose player would call the flop with that

Hattifnatt
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
This is a good spot to wait to the turn for your cont. bet, and you can also spike a ten.

rannerboy
10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
I honestly didn't even consider that option. It could definitely have been the right play here.

I would have hated a flop checkraise, but as I said he didn't at all look like he was intending to.

4_2_it
10-11-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good spot to wait to the turn for your cont. bet, and you can also spike a ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am villain and hero checks that flop, I am potting the turn if I have any piece of the board or if the flush draw hits. When a raiser shows weakness on draw heavy Broadway board I usually go for the jugular. I think hero loses control of the hand and loses the free card when he is drawing very thin by checking the flop.

Of course if the plan is to fold to a turn bet/raise then I have less of an issue with checking the flop. However, if the turn blanks I don't see how you ever see the river.