PDA

View Full Version : Weak-Tight or Just Right?

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Playing live for the last 2 days, it occurs to me that I might be too tight in certian spots. I don't think I'm passive or weak, but I very well may fold in spots where I can continue. (Maybe that means I'm weak) Examples follow:

All hands come from the 1-3 NL 200 max game at Excalibur today. 10-handed unless otherwise specified.

Hand 1: Hero is 150 with KQo UTG & folds. (Twice)

Hand 2: Hero is ~125 with 22 UTG & folds.

Hand 3: Hero is on button & ~100 with AKs. Early donk open-raises. Middle TAG calls. Late LAG calls. I fold.

Hand 4: Hero is UTG with AKo & ~150. Open-raises to 15. (Typical raise at table is 7, but it never steals the blinds.) MP TAGish calls, others fold. Flop comes K-high no draws. I bet 30. Opponent raises to 100. I fold.

Are these exam ples of being weak, or better than donks?

yvesaint
10-10-2005, 02:18 AM
hand 1 full-ring i almost always fold

hand 2 depends on table tendencies, but usually good for a limp

hand 3 whats the size of the raise, i probably push here with a stack of 100

hand 4 is read-dependent

amoeba
10-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I agree with your lines.

Isura
10-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Hand 1: Folding this is fine.

Hand 2: This is much better than KQo in this spot, call.

Hand 3: Push. There's probably about 15bb in the pot now, and you only have 33bb behind you.

Hand 4: Tough spot. How is your image? Reads help here. But with 50bb stacks, I don't mind a push either.

crosse91
10-10-2005, 02:23 AM
looks good, but limp the 22.

BobboFitos
10-10-2005, 02:25 AM
hand 1 i can understand.

2 im scratching my head

3 im REALLY scratching my head

4 im scratching my head because... why do you want to steal the blinds?

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4: Hero is UTG with AKo & ~150. Open-raises to 15. (Typical raise at table is 7, but it never steals the blinds.) MP TAGish calls, others fold. Flop comes K-high no draws. I bet 30. Opponent raises to 100. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
hand 4 is read-dependent

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be a big source of trouble for me, now that you mention it. at the time, i was certian that i was beat & drwing to 2 outs, so that makes my fold a good one.

but after i folded, i felt like my image was becoming weak-tight. i was concerned that the better players would put in a raise against me expecting me to fold, almost regardless of what they held. maybe he raised me b/c he knew i would fold?

one of my biggest leaks from days gone by is thinking that the opponents are bluffing my far more often than they actually were. i still have the same hunches about my opponents' bluffing tendancies, but now i fold more often than i used to, b/c i know that my hunch is wrong very often. did i swing too far th other way, and now i'm too tight? i guess i dont have confidence in my reads in this kind of situation. actually, it may be more accurate to say that i have conflicting reads. one read tells me he's bluffing, the other says that i only think he's bluffing.

amoeba
10-10-2005, 02:35 AM
just wanted to correct what you said about 2 outs.

its either runner runner, or its 5 outs with possible 8 outs on river.

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:35 AM
regarding the 22 hand, i folded PF becasue the table had been aggressive PF, and i was quite certian that if i limped the pot would be raised and i would have to see a raised flop against 1-2 opponents.

given this, call anyway?

amoeba
10-10-2005, 02:36 AM
does it matter if you hit the set?

with the set, don't you want more players?

crosse91
10-10-2005, 02:37 AM
yes. its an easy limp call. Also, don't ever look to just pick up the blinds UTG.

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just wanted to correct what you said about 2 outs.

its either runner runner, or its 5 outs with possible 8 outs on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

your'e right. i was thinking set, but 2-pair is possible too. so too is a worse king or some other pair i guess, but i really didnt think so. this again could be weak-tightness coming out?

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does it matter if you hit the set?

with the set, don't you want more players?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont understand what youre getting at in your first question? im thinking i pretty much have to hit a set here. i might be able to win on a paired rainbow flop, but otherweise i need a set?

crosse91
10-10-2005, 02:41 AM
also, grunch, alot of this is game dependent. In the excal 1-3 the players are probably much worse than any 200nl game online (from what i've heard) so you can't adjust your calling standards and the like accordingly. Learning to adjust is my new harping point for the week. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Adjust=good.

GrunchCan
10-10-2005, 02:46 AM
could very well be, but i'm still playing the 25 & 50nl games on party. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'm with you on the importance of adjusting. im telling people in micros the same thing all the time. i'm worried that i may overadjust to weak-tightness too often.

in the excal game i was eventuallyt in a spot where i was down to 85 and playing short stack poker. just waiting for a chane to push preflop. it never came before i needed to leave to meet the wife for dinner. even if i had more time however, i would have been tempted to play short poker, to keep myself from playing scared. its easy to recognize the all-in moments in short poker.

amoeba
10-10-2005, 02:48 AM
typically going all in with TPTK with 50bb stacks at a live 200 game is a good proposition.

amoeba
10-10-2005, 02:49 AM
right so just limp to see if you get implied odds for set.