PDA

View Full Version : new ram not being recognized, help!

AllinDan
10-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi, I have a dell dimension xps 8300 with 512 mb ram stock. The system runs 2 256 mb dimms. I recently bought 2 new 1 gb dimms in the same type (pc 3200 400 mhz non ecc ddr) but only 512 mb of the new memory is recognized. If I put all 4 dimms in the system shows 1 gb, if I put just the 2 new dimms in the system shows 512 mb. I know the motherboard can handle up to 4 gb, and I tried reflashing the bios to the newest version, but to no avail.

what now?

thanks

TheTROLL
10-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Assume you've checked the options within the BIOS setup for anything relevant, as well as updating the BIOS itself?

How about only one of the new sticks used alone? Try it in each slot.

Have you got access to another compatible PC you can try them in?

10-07-2005, 09:18 AM
What brand RAM is it? I've bought some of the really cheap stuff at Fry's before and not work in my system. Generally if you stick with the big names (Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston) you'll do alright.

10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I think what Troll is suggesting is to try each new stick seperately to determine if one of the sticks of RAM is bad. Alternately, you could do a google search for Memtest86, download it, burn the ISO image to a CD, and boot to the disc testing each new stick seperatley. Each stick should be tested for at least an hour each, unless of course you immediately get errors.

MyMindIsGoing
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Maybe the memconfig is not supported by the computer? I don't mean the brand itself but they chipconfig of the ram. Sounds to me like that might be the case. You should make sure that the memory and motherboard is actually compatible. What ram & mobo is it?