PDA

View Full Version : Bad situation with my dog

lu_hawk
10-03-2005, 08:44 PM
So where I live there is this area in back where at night when people come home from work they all go there and let their dogs off the leash and they play for awhile. Occasionally there are fights, my dog hasn't been involved in a fight before. My dog is named Hunter, I have had him for 3 months, he is a 9 month old hound/pit/lab mix, about 45 lbs.

There is a Doberman named Cooper who had attacked my dog twice before, nothing really came of it but Hunter started to avoid Cooper whenever he was around. So last Thursday I had Hunter out playing and Cooper was there. Cooper lunged at Hunter with his teeth bared and I guess that was all Hunter was going to take so Hunter fought back this time. It ended with Hunter clamped down on Cooper's face and dragging him across the ground while Cooper was crying in pain. Cooper's owner then attempted to break up the fight by STICKING HER HAND IN HUNTER'S MOUTH in order to try to pry open his jaws. The woman ended up with a cut hand of course, it was hardly more than a scratch but there was some blood. Both dogs ended up being perfectly fine, no cuts or bites on either of them.

So now I know that neither me nor Hunter are at any fault in this, but she is being a bitch and causing a big fuss. Basically, she has been going around the neighborhood telling everyone that I have a mean pit bull that bit her and that needs to be kept off the streets. It has really pissed me off because a) I can't take my dog to play with other dogs anymore and b) when people see me walking the dog they actually get scared and avoid me even though my dog is very sweet and really likes people.

And now I have just learned that she is going to try to force me to muzzle my dog, a process which I think may go through the police. So what do I do here? This is really frustrating because I know my dog did nothing wrong, but when a person claims to be bit by a dog it's one of those things where my dog is going to be wrong no matter what really happened.

I suppose it's possible she might sue me, I am actually less concerned about that then I am for the wellbeing of my dog if she gets the police involved.

handsome
10-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Why don't you sit down and talk with her?

lu_hawk
10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I did talk to her after it happened and she seemed OK and not mad. To be honest I know her dogs name but I don't know her name or where she lives.

STLantny
10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Witnessess? Post flyers asking for witnesses.. Look around for security cameras.

MelchyBeau
10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Her dog attacked your dog? Do realize she is at fault, if she sues, countersue

Melch

10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Drag her dead body to the river...

STLantny
10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Her dog attacked your dog? Do realize she is at fault, if she sues, countersue

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

She has proof, somewhat. He doesnt, Id hope that this blows over, until her cut heals.

mostsmooth
10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
siihp

mslif
10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I hate to be the devil's advocate here but you are supposed to be in control of your dog at all time. I understand what happened and I know it is not your fault but that's the way it is.
Do you have a homeowner or condomminium association? If so, they might make you put a muzzle on your dog. The police cannot do that. They can have animal control come and take your dog but that's it. Police does not get involved in civil matters.
Good luck and I am sorry this is happening to you.

DeezNuts
10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are supposed to be in control of your dog at all time. I understand what happened and I know it is not your fault but that's the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tron
10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Nobody is ever going to be sympathetic toward a dog with any amount of pit bull in it or its owner. Perhaps it's misguided, but that's the way it is.

[censored]
10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Avoid the hassel and make sure you and your dog are not around her at all. If she shows up, leave. Better yet just take your dog somewhere else where you can be alone. This is what I do. Getting into some further incident is essentially putting you and more importantly your dog at risk. It doesn't matter who is at fault. You need to use common sense, alter your behavior and move on.

This isn't isnt concerning your post but I see way to many posts about "getting even", "getting back" or "next moves" on here. Seriously people grow the hell up and move on, or start stepping up at the time and tell someone how you feel. All this plotting and planning is not only insanely childish but reaks of being a pussy.--Again this doesnt concern so much your post as it does about 50 previous ones I didn't reply to. Still it applies here as well.

Sponger15SB
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cooper's owner then attempted to break up the fight by STICKING HER HAND IN HUNTER'S MOUTH in order to try to pry open his jaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider your dog lucky that she didn't run up and kicked your dog through a goal post.

lu_hawk
10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is ever going to be sympathetic toward a dog with any amount of pit bull in it or its owner. Perhaps it's misguided, but that's the way it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right and I think that is why her campaign to make everyone in the neighborhood scared of me is working. Although my dog is maybe 25% pit at the max and looks more like a lab than a pit.

STLantny
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I did talk to her after it happened and she seemed OK and not mad. To be honest I know her dogs name but I don't know her name or where she lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dont know where she lives, then how can she do anything to you, assuming she doesnt know your name or your addy?

Sponger15SB
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't isnt concerning your post but I see way to many posts about "getting even", "getting back" or "next moves" on here. Seriously people grow the hell up and move on, or start stepping up at the time and tell someone who you feel. All this plotting and planning is not only insanely childish but reaks of being a pussy.--Again this doesnt concern so much your post as it does about 50 previous ones I didn't reply to. Still it applies here as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this. Too many hardcore people on this forum.

lu_hawk
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cooper's owner then attempted to break up the fight by STICKING HER HAND IN HUNTER'S MOUTH in order to try to pry open his jaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider your dog lucky that she didn't run up and kicked your dog through a goal post.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the 3rd time Cooper attacked my dog and my dog is probably half the size. Although I do know what you are saying, if my dog looked like he was being hurt I wouldn't care who started it.

lu_hawk
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Avoid the hassel and make sure you and your dog are not around her at all. If she shows up, leave. Better yet just take your dog somewhere else where you can be alone. This is what I do. Getting into some further incident is essentially putting you and more importantly your dog at risk. It doesn't matter who is at fault. You need to use common sense, alter your behavior and move on.

This isn't isnt concerning your post but I see way to many posts about "getting even", "getting back" or "next moves" on here. Seriously people grow the hell up and move on, or start stepping up at the time and tell someone how you feel. All this plotting and planning is not only insanely childish but reaks of being a pussy.--Again this doesnt concern so much your post as it does about 50 previous ones I didn't reply to. Still it applies here as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not looking to get back at her and realize avoiding her is probably the best bet. I am mostly pissed that she is starting some sort of neighborhood campaign against me.

Mr_J
10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
"telling everyone that I have a mean pit bull"

You said your dog doesn't look like a pitbull. Just say, "I don't even HAVE a pit bull".

"It has really pissed me off because a) I can't take my dog to play with other dogs anymore"

Your dog hasn't had problems before, why would anyone who knows it have a problem with it now? Surely they know the nature of the dog or would at least let you talk to them about it?

Has cooper attacked any other dogs?

"I suppose it's possible she might sue me, I am actually less concerned about that then I am for the wellbeing of my dog if she gets the police involved."

Try to find out if her dog has attacked anyone or another dog before. If you care this much about the situation do a door knock.

[censored]
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not looking to get back at her and realize avoiding her is probably the best bet. I am mostly pissed that she is starting some sort of neighborhood campaign against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would be pissed to but your dog wasn't in your control and a human got bit. The rest will get lost. If your renting moving wouldn't be a bad idea. I would never let my dog off it's leash in an area where there are likely to be other dogs or people. Too many stupid people and too much risk.

[censored]
10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the 3rd time Cooper attacked my dog and my dog is probably half the size. Although I do know what you are saying, if my dog looked like he was being hurt I wouldn't care who started it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW man, if you do end up going to court of something. The whole "3rd time he was attacked or whatever" hurts not helps your case.

pokerdirty
10-03-2005, 09:44 PM
http://www.battleorders.co.uk/acatalog/mc-ap015.JPG

Bad dog.

In all seriousness though, you've obviously got to attempt to date the chick.

ddollevoet
10-03-2005, 11:11 PM
umm... look at the facts.

Your dog attacked another dog and then bit its owner while trying to break up the fight.

A muzzle on your dog would be much nicer punishment than I would suggest.

In the future, don't put yourself into situations like this.

theben
10-03-2005, 11:14 PM
kick its ass