PDA

View Full Version : AA and a paired flop

incognito
05-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Online $1/$2.

I pick up A /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in middle position. Folded to me and I raise. The guy immediately to my left calls two cold, two late position folds and the big blind calls.

The flop comes 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. I bet, my neighbour raises. Now what? I don't know anything about this guy (he's either new to the game or hasn't made any impression on me whatsoever...) I thought about raising, but I just called. The big blind folds.

The turn comes 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. Check, bet, call.

The river comes 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif. Check, bet, call.

So, how badly did I do?

travisand
05-10-2003, 04:32 AM
I would probably reraise the flop and then lead out on the turn. If raised on the turn I would just check call the river. I think you went into check-call mode too quickly. He is just as likely to be betting a 10 as a 7 or a vast range of pocket pairs that you can beat.

Huh
05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Without an impression of the guy its tought to say. This looks an awful lot like JT(I never cold-call two with this, but a lot of folks do), or maybe even an over-pair. There aren't many cold-calling hands that contain a seven.

I would usually call the flop bet and check-raise the turn, and if raised lose another 2 big bets.....Hmmmm....maybe thats not such a good idea.

-Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Bob T.
05-10-2003, 02:12 PM
So, how badly did I do?

Not that badly. If he coldcalls with any hand that has a seven in it, I want to know, and I'll pay two and one half big bets to find out. I suspect that he either had a ten, or pocket tens, and put you on AK. You didn't know about your opponent, but when he bets again on the turn, I would think about checkraising the river if he bets there.

sam h
05-10-2003, 02:43 PM
It seems extremely unlikely that your opponent both 1)called a raise with a hand containing a 7 and 2) having done so, would raise the flop on a board without many draws.

I would checkraise the turn.

GuyOnTilt
05-10-2003, 04:48 PM
You don't say much about your oppponent on this one, but if he's reasonable, don't expect to see the 7.

I would alternate between two things on this one. I'd either play back at him on the flop with a 3-bet, or I'd call and check-raise the turn. The vast majority of the time I'd reraise the flop though, because he could be putting you on AK and is looking for a cheap river card. However, seeing that he bet out on the turn when a blank hit, you're most likely looking at a strong 10. Since you did choose to call the flop and check the turn, you should now check-raise and lead out on the river. If your opponent reraises you on the turn, I'd go into call-down mode. The 3-bet does not mean you are beat though. An overpair would just as likely 3-bet you as the unlikely 7 or TT.

My guess is you won this one, but even if you didn't, you should have played it stronger on the early streets.

bad beetz
05-10-2003, 05:36 PM
looks like a ten. Most people would fold a hand with a seven, and the ones who wouldn't would wait till the turn to raise. Looks like a ten.

hope it wasn't 89s