PDA

View Full Version : Trying to keep ahead of the blinds on the bubble

splashpot
09-20-2005, 03:33 AM
***** Hand History for Game 2743252476 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:15900777 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Tuesday, September 20, 03:00:29 EDT 2005
Table Table 13839 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Cdisaster7 ( $1390 )
Seat 2: Translucity ( $1030 )
Seat 8: compton ( $2990 )
Seat 10: MrGreenIz3 ( $2590 )
Trny:15900777 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Translucity [ 3h Kh ]
MrGreenIz3 folds.
Cdisaster7 folds.
Translucity....pushes?

I've been pushing a lot of hands just to keep ahead of the blinds. The BB warned me that I "better stop that" when he saw me pushing into his BB a lot. Shows that he was eager to call me but was just waiting for a decent spot to do it. Push this or wait for a better chance?

Olback
09-20-2005, 03:37 AM
I would push it despite his warning. If he spite calls you and you lose so be it. If you run into a bigger hand, it happens.

Also k,3 is a reasonable hand 4 handed. If i had junk here i would fold to make him think that i am selectively pushing.

RikaKazak
09-20-2005, 03:39 AM
hey splash, is this the splash that plays the 400's 6 maxes too??? if it is PM me.

splashpot
09-20-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey splash, is this the splash that plays the 400's 6 maxes too??? if it is PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]
no

lorinda
09-20-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm sure this will turn out to be a +EV push, but I fold this and give the other short stack just one more round to hang himself.

Lori

45suited
09-20-2005, 04:23 AM
I don't do this often, but I have to disagree with Lori here.

Not pushing this would be criminal. IMO, this is not even a remotely close decision.

If you're going to let table talk keep you from pushing this hand, you should do yourself a favor and turn chat off.

pergesu
09-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Warnings from the BB, or anyone really, should be translated as "I wish you'd stop picking on me, but I'm way too much of a pussy to call."

Get on with your bad self. push and yell "ship it batch"

09-20-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also k,3 is a reasonable hand 4 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]Does the number of players at the table matter when it has been folded to the SB?

09-20-2005, 09:05 AM
yep. even if above post wasnt funny as hell, it'd still be true.

these tight-asses are so concerned that they'll lose their 2x buy in that they wont call with anything... its pathetically predictable.

the funny thing is, of all the chatbox chatter I've seen playing, the safest thing to do is to assume the opposite of whats said.

09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
If bb seriously thinks his threat is going to have an impact on your decisions, he should logically be putting you on a much stronger hand next time you do it. So push any two /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sciolist
09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
If you need to increase your stack, I think it does. If you're going to lose your fold equity soon, then you need to accumulate chips before that. When you have three more hands before posting blinds again, you have to take any marginal situation that reaches you.

I'm not saying that that applies here, as the hero retains fold equity after posting blinds once, I just wanted to think of an example to be contrary.

Incidentally, I push here, K4s is strong enough. I'd be more likely to fold weaker hands though.

diebitter
09-20-2005, 09:17 AM
push

splashpot
09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Warnings from the BB, or anyone really, should be translated as "I wish you'd stop picking on me, but I'm way too much of a pussy to call."

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I've found the opposite to be true. Whenever they say something like this, they seem to be itching to call me with any better than average hand. I know this is only one instance, and I'm trying not to be results oriented, but this hand is one example. Results: I pushed. He called with A3 and I finish 4th.

kyro
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I push here. BB may want you to stop that, but he won't call without a decent hand. You're too short to be folding top 50% hands here.

bennies
09-20-2005, 01:05 PM
You can call me a weak chicken punk from the wrong side of 8 mile road or whatever.... but since I've turned off chat I've slept better at night /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wildzer0
09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Here's what I usually see when someone warns me to stop pushing. The next time i push they let their time run down to the last second, maybe hem and haw about it in the chat, and then say "next time" and fold. This is much too strong of a hand to fold here. The times you get spite called with trash and lose are quite small compared to your chances of him folding or winning a showdown.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I've found the opposite to be true. Whenever they say something like this, they seem to be itching to call me with any better than average hand. I know this is only one instance, and I'm trying not to be results oriented, but this hand is one example. Results: I pushed. He called with A3 and I finish 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to listen to the box to a degree. If he said "stop it" on the last hand, and then you get Kx this hand in sb... you should push. But if he said it this hand, after he has seen his cards, and says "stop it"... you might want to listen... But, generally, if he "askes" you to stop, and your hand is good (like it is here), and your stack is relatively weak, you probably still need to poosshh! IMO...

45suited
09-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Guys, we're all 2+2ers... aren't you used to having the BB bitch about you raping his blinds yet?

I'm sure that this happens all the time with me, but I often have my chat turned off anyway. Ignorance is bliss.

It would be one thing if we were comfortably in 3rd, with a short stack that has half the chips that we do. But WE are the shortest stack here. Passing here is really wrong in the long run.

Pooooooosh.

pergesu
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay just for fun, let's take a look at what kind of hand he needs to call.

Let's say you announced to him that you'd be pushing the top 30% of hands (which is where K4s ranks). For his call to be profitable enough to want to do (assuming >= +.5% $EV), he can only call with the top 11% of hands. That's 55+, A9+, A8s+, KQs+. That's one time in nine.

Now if somehow you knew that he'd call with the top 22% of hands (which is where A3o ranks), then you'd still be correct to push. It's not the most favorable position - you have an edge of +0.4% $EV - but it's still good enough to push and yell "ship it batch!"

btw he didn't loosen up his requirements after telling you to stop. He would have gladly called with that A3o any time he got it. Unfortunately all he does there is take the equity you guys both have and ship some of it to the other players.