PDA

View Full Version : Mistake in Poker Essays Vol. II (first editions, second printing)

09-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Somehow I was able to find a copy of this elusive title at a local Borders. I noticed a fairly obvious mistake in the essay "A note on Starting Omaha hands" (Pg. 84-85). It's so obvious that I felt I must be missing something, and showed it to several friends who were able to confirm it.

He writes:

Suppose you have
A/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
and now you play it. Now on fourth street the board is

J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
....Now notice that if the board pairs you can lose to a full house or four-of-a-kind, if a spade comes you can lose to a flush, and if a nine or a ten falls, you can also lose to a higher straight.

As you can see though, while a nine would cause you to possibly lose to a Jack-high straight, a ten would in fact give you a Jack-high straight, and it would be the nuts.

Of course, I agree with the premise that you are in a vulnerable situation with this hand, but I'm quite suprised that this made to print.

Mason Malmuth
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi Akias:

It looks like you're correct. Unfortunately, the next printing has already been completed.

Best wishes,
Mason

09-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Are you serious? You're actually printing this a third time?!

I've been in probably a hundred or so bookstores up and down the East Coast, and while I've seen Volumes 1 and 3 stocked on countless shelves, I have only seen Volume 2 stocked once. While I do enjoy the book and find that it has topics that aren't discussed elsewhere in poker literature, I can't help but wonder is it really being shipped out at a rate which requires multiple printings?

Mason Malmuth
09-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Hi Alias:

We have sold over 6,000 copies of Volume II, and while that's very small compared to some of our other books, it is enough to warrant another small printing. Also we have sold, as of today, 986 copies of it this year, which already makes it the best year ever. (For a comparison, both Harrington books should sell over 100,000 copies during their first 12 months.)

Best wishes,
Mason