PDA

View Full Version : looking to get started online...need some advice

09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I have 100 bucks and am new to onlinepoker. I have played some freerolls and some play money stt's to get a feel for it and the pace. What is the best way to invest my 100 dollars online. I have played NL almost exclusively in my poker career and have made some good money playing live poker and i really would like to try my luck at online stt's. what site should i use what stakes should i play at, etc. i know it will be awhile with 100 bucks before i really start making my time worthwhile but i would like a little advice getting started.

axeshigh
09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
With 100$ I would suggest playing the Stars 5+0.50 SnGs (I assume you want to play SnGs since this is the STT forum). If / once you get to 200+ you can move to the Party 10+1's if your goal is to make profit and build your bankroll faster. You should also read the FAQ.

09-19-2005, 03:48 PM
If you're already a winning NL player, winning at the $5.50's shouldn't be that hard. You just have to learn some SnG strategy, and you can do that on this forum.

I believe this thread was good? http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=7&o=14&fpart=1
I wouldn't know. Put it in my favorites, and I'm too [censored] lazy to read the whole thing. So many words and links. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

cha59
09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
The 5.50's at Stars are probably your best bet.

Keep this in mind though - it is not inconceivable that even a strong winning player at any level can drop 30 or more buyins. If you happen to go through a downswing that large when you start out, your bankroll will be gone. That's fine if you want to make more deposits.

Many of the smart players here like to keep at least 30 - 50 buyins in their bankroll for the limit they play at.

If you dont plan on making more deposits, I'd suggest if you get down to say, $50 in your bankroll, switch to a lower buyin game. Stars has 2 table sit and go's for $1.50 + .25 and five table sng's for $1.00 + .20. They also have very small micro limit cash games.

If you are already good, its not likely you'd need to move down, but it is possible - even if you are good. Dont get discouraged if you start losing money right away. Read this forum and continue to play.

lorinda
09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Don't rush it. If we could all double our bankrolls easily, we'd all be incredibly wealthy.

Turning 100 into 200 into 400 will probably take you longer than you would like, so you have to change your mindset.

I have been in that position more than once, and the way to remain vaguely sane is to remember that each $1 you win is actually worth more than $1 in the long term as each dollar has an implied value for allowing you to play bigger.

Lori

stanzee
09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 100 bucks and am new to onlinepoker. I have played some freerolls and some play money stt's to get a feel for it and the pace. What is the best way to invest my 100 dollars online. I have played NL almost exclusively in my poker career and have made some good money playing live poker and i really would like to try my luck at online stt's. what site should i use what stakes should i play at, etc. i know it will be awhile with 100 bucks before i really start making my time worthwhile but i would like a little advice getting started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you're thinking of getting started, without any shadow of a doubt start on party poker. For my first 3-4 months i played on other sites, but without a shadow of a doubt party has the softest games and the most fish. I wish someone could have given me that advice when i first started.

Okay, on other sites you may only have to pay a 50c rake for a 5 dollar game (party is 5+1), but you'll more then make up for this with the sheer easiness of the games. The majority of guys on party are practically throwing their away.

Assuming your $100 isn't your life savings i would just start on the $10+1 games on party where the rake is exactly the same as on any other site. The play is just as bad (if not worse) then the 5+1 games.

Good luck.

Freudian
09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have been in that position more than once, and the way to remain vaguely sane is to remember that each $1 you win is actually worth more than $1 in the long term as each dollar has an implied value for allowing you to play bigger.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an implied millionaire.

cha59
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you're thinking of getting started, without any shadow of a doubt start on party poker. For my first 3-4 months i played on other sites, but without a shadow of a doubt party has the softest games and the most fish. I wish someone could have given me that advice when i first started.

Okay, on other sites you may only have to pay a 50c rake for a 5 dollar game (party is 5+1), but you'll more then make up for this with the sheer easiness of the games. The majority of guys on party are practically throwing their away.

Assuming your $100 isn't your life savings i would just start on the $10+1 games on party where the rake is exactly the same as on any other site. The play is just as bad (if not worse) then the 5+1 games.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The rake difference adds up quickly.
If you play 100 games, that's $50 in rake difference. Pretty significant to me if my bankroll is $100.

The blind structures at Party dont serve a beginner well for learning how to play poker. Party is great for people with bigger bankrolls who are looking to maximize their dollars per hour playing a specific kind of "push-fold" poker. You will learn how to be a better player, probably have more fun and will have less chance of going broke at Stars.

The 5.50 games at Stars are plenty soft for a good player to win at. Build your bankroll there first and then decide if you want to move to another site like Party.

skipperbob
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
HitchHike to Vegas...Play the Hundo on the 'SlackerMcRide" system....Can't lose...(+)$1,800

09-19-2005, 07:56 PM
5+.50 on stars until you get a couple hundred. Then you can maximize your hourly profits by playing party 10+1 or if you are more comfortable go to the stars 10+1.

If if was starting i'd multitable the stars turbo 6+.50's all day long.