PDA

View Full Version : scared of overcards

09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I had some trouble lately with overcards, SB is LAP and MP1 is LPP. Since I was drawing to only two 10's I folded this hand. Not sure though if it was correct.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

@bsolute_luck
09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
who says you're only drawing to 2.5 outs (.5 add for goofy SD)? does SB ONLY bet TP? answer that question and then make a decision after that.

09-13-2005, 03:23 PM
This is my way of doing things and I could be wrong if I am someone comment because this could be a leak. If I raise preflop and the board isn't paired on the flop I am almost always good for another bet.

09-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I didn't have much of a tell on him, but thinking about it, he probably would have also bet overcards having no pair. I guess I answered my question then.
But in general, if don't have a read on the guy, would you fold a hand like TT to a bet on a board w/ overcards?

09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
No, raise these TT preflop. If there is a bet with over cards on the board call. If turn doesn't improve your hand i would probably fold.

@bsolute_luck
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there is a bet with over cards on the board call

[/ QUOTE ]

this is too simplistic of an approach. # of players in the hand, where the bet came from, texture of the board all go in to the decision.

on this rag board, it is possible villain is betting less than TP here, so i'd raise to fold the player behind me and see what happens.

09-13-2005, 04:05 PM
For sake of discussion let's say board flops A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif same PP same action what are you thinking now? I agree with the fact that my approach was simple and appreciat the comment.

09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I think this is really really bad. Like they say, they always put you on ace king. He could be donking out with any piece of the board or a draw. Raise it up, hopefully knocking out MP1. If the flop is an ace and you get donked out to, that usually means they have a weak ace.

ErrantNight
09-13-2005, 04:23 PM
if you're going to post this kind of hand, kindly don't include the turn where you would have hit your set, or the river where we find out the flop bettor wins without showing.

stop the action on your flop action, because that's where your question is, and that's where all the pertinent information available to you at the time is at hand.

09-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I know, turn and river aren't really relevant anymore. Didn't know this would be an issue though.
I think I agree that raising is the best play here. If I just call and don't improve on the turn (which is very likely in this case) then I'll face the same situation on the river...

Azhrarn
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
A good (very very general) rule of thumb is one overcard to your pocket pair is okay, two or more is trouble.

Obviously, this is a gross simplification, but it applies well here. It is only three-handed, and you have a chance to face your other opponent with two cold. I would always raise the flop here unless my opponent was passive enough that a bet almost always means top pair or better.

Aces McGee
09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Deciding when to fold in situations like this depends heavily on the texture of the board.

You're more likely to be ahead on a J84 rainbow board than a A84 rainbow board.

I generally think "Do you see why?" posts are pretty useless, but in this case, I think it'd be a good idea for you to think about why the above is true. I promise to come back to this thread and comment on your thoughts, if others don't beat me to it.

-McGee

09-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Calling the flop is really bad IMO. Either raise or fold based on your read.

09-13-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop is really bad IMO. Either raise or fold based on your read.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Which is obviously what Hero did. I'd be more inclined to raise, especially with only one overcard.

newhizzle
09-13-2005, 06:51 PM
i raise the flop, if he 3 bets, fold the turn UI, if not i bet the turn(UI) and check a blank river