PDA

View Full Version : I never win with AAxx

09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Newbie here. I am a fairly tight player in OH pot limit, and all the poker sites say to play AAxx aggressively. Now I know that in simulations it wins a lot but in practice the flop is always xxx or small pair. I am now probably up against 2p in the first case or 3 of a kind or full house in the second with possible flush and straight draws to come. When would I ever bet aggresively after the flop?

illegit
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
When you hit a set or the nut flush draw, or if you managed to get a heads up or 3-way pot with your PF raise and the flop is not highly coordinated. In these cases you can play it aggressive post flop. In a multi-way pot you just have a single pair, no reason to fall in love. If you encounter any sign of interest ditch the sucker.

DRKEVDC
09-06-2005, 12:47 PM
It depends a lot on your read of the player and their position. If a decent player out of position starts playing back at me on an uncoordinated flop I am assuming that he has made a set or two pair.

09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
but I seem to put more in the preflop raises (say 6 hands) than I get back for the one win in your situation. Every one has probably got me pegged for AA after the preflop raise and are pretty wary and so tend to drop out if a good hand appears. I am sure that good players can make AA work for them thougth

illegit
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I think the solution is not to raise PF with EVERY AAxx. I think you shouldn't be raising PF with some types of AAxx, such as with neither A suited, with 2 medium cards, etc. Just play these ugly AAxx hands for set value. You'll be more likely to get action when you hit your A, and you'll be able to get away cheap when the flop is unfavorable.

Unabridged
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I seem to put more in the preflop raises (say 6 hands) than I get back for the one win in your situation. Every one has probably got me pegged for AA after the preflop raise and are pretty wary and so tend to drop out if a good hand appears. I am sure that good players can make AA work for them thougth

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a higher PFR%, anyone with pto can see all the people that only raise with aces. you start raising the pot with AA, KK, QQ, 4 broadway and they won't be able to put you on a hand. then you can bet out when the flop is yxx where y = A, K, Q

09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I can see that is good advice. One potential problem in low stakes internet poker is that most people dont stay round long enough at one table to get a feel for your play - though at a real (non-internet) table that isnt a problem

09-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I would say instead of seeing AAxx and defaulting to a raise, think about limping first. If you hit a set, no one will put you on it, because "hey, he didn't raise preflop." Raise with your really good AA starting hands, and limp (with the possibility of making a huge limp-raise if you're in ep)with the rest, and you'll save yourself A LOT of money.

Spellmen
09-06-2005, 05:34 PM
If your opponents are bad or unobservant you will almost always be put on AA/KK after any raise

jhall23
09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
You may be overplaying these hands post flop (possibly pre flop as well). As has already been mentioned, you need to tread caustiously post flop if all you end up with is a pair of Aces. Pay carefull attention to the texture of the flop and the number of opponents in the pot with you.

What would probably be the best thing for you would be to post some of the hands where you have lost a good amount of money with AAxx. Or browse through the archives as for a while there about every 3 hands was an AAxx hand and you might see some things you are doing wrong.

Jim T
09-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, if you aren't raising other hands, I'd just limp with AAxx. Then if you hit your hand you can still get some action, and if you miss you won't feel you "have" to make a continuation bet.

Also, if someone after you puts in a raise, you can put in a nice re-raise to isolate him, especially if he already got a caller or two. This is the best situation for you, when you can put in a big percentage of your stack pre-flop when you have a significant edge. When you are heads up, AA unimproved can win a showdown more often than you might think.

dibbs
09-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Newb as well, but I play AA pretty damn slow and it seems to help. I basically play it for set equity/ nut flush when it's suited and I don't raise with it to red flag my hand.

One problem I do have however is when I call an MP raise with it, flop comes an uncoordinated Q high or whatever and he bets pot and it gets headsup. When it doubt I fold, but sometimes I find a call here.

joewatch
09-07-2005, 03:17 AM
http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=121099

joewatch
09-07-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One problem I do have however is when I call an MP raise with it, flop comes an uncoordinated Q high or whatever and he bets pot and it gets headsup. When it doubt I fold, but sometimes I find a call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a hint here - you should almost never be calling in this situation, only raising or folding.

dibbs
09-07-2005, 03:26 AM
Yea that's my problem, I hate raising with one big pair here when I'm not sure if he hit a set or two pair or something as people in this game have some pretty wide raising standards. So a few times I lamely call and then fold to a pot sized bet on the turn which is obviously stupid.

Closer situation on like an 8 high flop, I think that I have the best hand and want to raise it up but dont have the balls too basically until my reads get better or something.

09-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I am not sure I understand the hand which I am sure is why I am loosing slowly. I would have folded after the big raise after the turn. My reasoning - he probably has 2p or probably 3 of a kind. I need a straight or A to probably beat him - 10 /48 cards (say 1:5). Money outlay $38 - possible return up to 100. Fold?

joewatch
09-07-2005, 10:22 AM
You are correct that I should have folded the turn. Problem was that I made a total misread and put villain on AKQx, not JJxx. He's an aggressive player who is well known to me. This time, I just got lucky.

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
If he is an aggressive player, you should be potting the flop 100% of the time.

Spellmen
09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I would folded to this particular opponent given i have about 6000 hands on it and he is going to have a made hand on the turn 80% of the time. I definately would have bet or raised him on the flop though because usually after that raise he is going to have KK, QQ, or a 10 and a few other big cards

beset7
09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=121099

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you going to c/r the flop?

TheRempel
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Give you 5:1 he wasn't.