PDA

View Full Version : Question for people using notebook for dual monitors

jrbick
09-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Looking to be doing this in quasi-near future so starting to research a bit.

For people who have a notebook computer and use it with their desktop computer for dual monitors, how do you do it?

1.) Do you use the notebook as a second monitor connected to your desktop or do you simply connect your desktop monitor to your notebook computer?

2.) Is it better to run pokertracker on the notebook for times when you travel? Or is it not a problem to update the database in order to keep it up to date on both computers?

3.) Does your notebook have digital output? Is this standard w/ most notebooks currently? If you use your notebook as a second monitor connected to your desktop, is it compatable with a dual DVI graphics card (is essentially what I'm trying to figure out).

jrbick
09-10-2005, 03:31 AM
helpful forum

AlexHoops
09-10-2005, 05:24 AM
1)

I own the Dell inspiron 9100 (17in widescreen) laptop. My max resolution for its screen is 1680x1050 which is good enough for 4 tabling with no overlap on the tables (chat boxes go off the screen). I have that connected to my Dell 2001fp 20.1in monitor, which I have positioned above my laptop. This setup works great for 8 tabling.

2)

I don't have 2 computers, just an extra monitor. The database is always on my laptop.

3)

I don't exactly know what you mean about connecting your laptop monitor to a desktop. A laptop is a computer, it doesn't need to be hooked up to one. Extra monitors can be added to it. A safe way to solve this laptop/desktop confusion is to simply take the computer off of your lap and set it on a desk...

MyMindIsGoing
09-10-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
helpful forum

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you wont get any any more help now.

09-16-2005, 02:52 AM
How do I hook up the extra monitor to my laptop? I have a dell inspiron 9200 and want to start 8tabling easier with a 2nd monitor. How does the extra monitor hook up to the laptop?

guitarhero14
09-16-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do I hook up the extra monitor to my laptop? I have a dell inspiron 9200 and want to start 8tabling easier with a 2nd monitor. How does the extra monitor hook up to the laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]
there should be a connection on the back of your laptop.

09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Ok i have it connected now...and im just getting a mirror image of the laptops screen...with no apparent way to change it in the settings. What now?

jrbick
09-16-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
helpful forum

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you wont get any any more help now.

[/ QUOTE ]

#3312135 - 09/03/05 07:47 PM

#3367762 - 09/10/05 03:31 AM

[/discussion] [/justification]

jrbick
09-16-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1)

I own the Dell inspiron 9100 (17in widescreen) laptop. My max resolution for its screen is 1680x1050 which is good enough for 4 tabling with no overlap on the tables (chat boxes go off the screen). I have that connected to my Dell 2001fp 20.1in monitor, which I have positioned above my laptop. This setup works great for 8 tabling.

2)

I don't have 2 computers, just an extra monitor. The database is always on my laptop.

3)

I don't exactly know what you mean about connecting your laptop monitor to a desktop. A laptop is a computer, it doesn't need to be hooked up to one. Extra monitors can be added to it. A safe way to solve this laptop/desktop confusion is to simply take the computer off of your lap and set it on a desk...

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have answered my question. What I meant was if people use their notebook computers as a second monitor to their desktop computer.

smoore
09-16-2005, 10:27 PM
People are more helpful if they don't have to answer trivially easy questions. Please play nice. (http://www.google.com/search?&rls=en&q=laptop+as+second+monitor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

jrbick
09-17-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People are more helpful if they don't have to answer trivially easy questions. Please play nice. (http://www.google.com/search?&rls=en&q=laptop+as+second+monitor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm convinced of my former opinion.

1.) I know VERY little about computers.

A.) Therefore, how would I be able to identify a "trivially easy question"

2.) If I should just google everything, why host a "Computer Technical Help" forum? I looked at EVERY single thread in this forum before I asked, and found none. Is there an FAQ in progress or something? I'm just curious, how am I supposed to know what TO and what NOT TO post in here for future reference (because there will be more questions and I'd hate to continue posting "trivially easy questions" in the "Computer Technical Help" forum")?

StevieG
09-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Everyone needs to chill a bit.

jrbick, the first time I saw this thread is when you bumped it, with the "helpful forum" follow-up. I was tempted to make the same kind of response that MyMindIsGoing did, but I refrained for two reasons:

1) jrbick waited a considerable amount of time to post a follow-up
2) jrbick's post history shows responses to other threads and contributions to the forums

MyMindIsGoing spoke a little harshly. However, MyMindIsGoing provides a lot of help here. From what I've seen that help is always concise, clear, and free of derision. I believe that the harsh reply was a knee-jerk reaction.

Perhaps you, too, jrbick, might not take too kindly to someone posting a sarcastic remark about the help available in the heads up forum.

The fact is that threads sometimes go unnoticed. I will see the same question asked one day and get no responses, and other days start a topic that spawns a dozen good replies.

A bump with a less sarcastic tone would not have attracted rancor.

And for everyone else, let's try to save the knee-jerk reactions for OOT.

jrbick
09-18-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone needs to chill a bit.

jrbick, the first time I saw this thread is when you bumped it, with the "helpful forum" follow-up. I was tempted to make the same kind of response that MyMindIsGoing did, but I refrained for two reasons:

1) jrbick waited a considerable amount of time to post a follow-up
2) jrbick's post history shows responses to other threads and contributions to the forums

MyMindIsGoing spoke a little harshly. However, MyMindIsGoing provides a lot of help here. From what I've seen that help is always concise, clear, and free of derision. I believe that the harsh reply was a knee-jerk reaction.

Perhaps you, too, jrbick, might not take too kindly to someone posting a sarcastic remark about the help available in the heads up forum.

The fact is that threads sometimes go unnoticed. I will see the same question asked one day and get no responses, and other days start a topic that spawns a dozen good replies.

A bump with a less sarcastic tone would not have attracted rancor.

And for everyone else, let's try to save the knee-jerk reactions for OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said and I concur.

I apologize, especially to MyMindIsGoing if any offense was delivered on my behalf with my sarcastic remarks. I was intending it to be more of a "creative" "bump," but I can see that sarcasm in print looks awfully abrasive.

guitarhero14
09-18-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok i have it connected now...and im just getting a mirror image of the laptops screen...with no apparent way to change it in the settings. What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

right click on your desktop and click properties then go into settings and then there should be a check box that says Extend My Windows Desktop to this Screen" check that box on the screen you want extended.

smoore
09-18-2005, 11:17 AM
OK, sorry. here, read this (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html) if you would like to understand why we get our panties in a bunch sometimes.