PDA

View Full Version : Blame the French! (Napoleon?)

Spaded
09-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Wasn't it Napoleon who founded New Orleans? Was it his idea to build it below sea level by the ocean or was that a guy from the 1900s who invented a pumping system (forgot his name)?

I think Ol' Nappy founded it but not where the main city is now. Wasn't there enough room to build on land ABOVE sea level? Or did it just slowly sink because of the mass of heavy buildings?

It's sad that so many pepole have to suffer and be victims of the ill-minded decision of one person.

jason_t
09-02-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't it Napoleon who founded New Orleans? Was it his idea to build it below sea level by the ocean or was that a guy from the 1900s who invented a pumping system (forgot his name)?

I think Ol' Nappy founded it but not where the main city is now. Wasn't there enough room to build on land ABOVE sea level? Or did it just slowly sink because of the mass of heavy buildings?

It's sad that so many pepole have to suffer and be victims of the ill-minded decision of one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

The facts are irrelevant; this is so conceptually wrong and retarded.

Also, did we really need another thread?

whiskeytown
09-02-2005, 03:49 AM
here's the problem -

it's a flood plain - maybe it was above level once, but of course, people don't want to be flooded, so they build levies -

Levies channel water upwards, so you must build them fairly high - meanwhile, the flood plain starts to settle because it's loose soil from years of being flooded, so it starts to drop in elevation -

Happens in China, the Midwest - but this may be the biggest urban center I'm aware of - not counting the Netherlands (who, BTW, are laughing at our ill-prepared dikes and levees - they've got their country safe and sound for a hundred more yrs)

RB

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Louisiana officials had a solid two days to get people out before the storm hit. That was the big failure.

You evacuate everybody except the fools who pull a gun and say "I'm staying". And you are allowed to count those few fools as voluntary suicides.

Gov. Blanco dropped the ball here big time. She pulled off one of the deadliest blunders of all time.

Spaded
09-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Yes I saw a thing on the history channel about the never ending struggle to keep the netherlands dry. They had a levee break some time ago, big mess.

lucas9000
09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Just what are the French good for anyway? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
09-02-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take "flaming dog poo and the human response for 100"

edit: not even close to the real category name

diebitter
09-02-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are very talented.

The fastest animal on earth is a Frenchman running from a capgun.

The strongest forces created by a human are generated when trying to pull a Frenchman off his sister.

First sonic boom was created by a Frenchman raising his arms when surrendering to Germans.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand so on.

lucas9000
09-02-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not stepping on that land mine.

mslif
09-02-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very wise decision

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the French did invent the land mine. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In Europe in the early 18th century, often going by the French term fougasse, improvised landmines or booby traps were constructed in the form of bombs buried in shallow wells in the earth and covered with scrap metal and/or gravel to serve as shrapnel. The term is sometimes still used in the present day to describe such devices.

[/ QUOTE ]

mslif
09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY!

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means, but it sounds really bad

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what this means, but it sounds <i>really</i> bad

[/ QUOTE ]

You Should Seriously Consider Killing Yourself

mslif
09-02-2005, 09:10 AM
You should seriously consider killing yourself

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What a disappointment.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What a disappointment. Hey, you're the one the old guy flirts with. How you doin?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to help you live up to your name. Contact me if interested.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What a disappointment. Hey, you're the one the old guy flirts with. How you doin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which "old guy"? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

edit: or were you talking about me?

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:31 AM
I can't remember who someone was making fun of about flirting with msilf, and can't be bothered to look it up, so I've removed the comment. Was that you? (whoever it was, was taking part in the thread, so if you know nothing about it, it ain't you)

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(whoever it was, was taking part in the thread, so if you know nothing about it, it ain't you)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your memory starts go when you hit a certain age. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(whoever it was, was taking part in the thread, so if you know nothing about it, it ain't you)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your memory starts go when you hit a certain age. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't remember, try searching. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, I was just kidding, if I offended anyone (this includes you, ThinMan), sorry.

touchfaith
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't remember, try searching. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, I was just kidding, if I offended anyone (this includes you, ThinMan), sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't offend me. I just want to help you die bitter.

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You didn't offend me. I just want to help you die bitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooooooooookay. Sirens are going off in my head now, like when submarines go on red alert.

Broken Glass Can
09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
"die bitter" means something in German, doesn't it?

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ooooooooooookay. Sirens are going off in my head now, like when submarines go on red alert.

[/ QUOTE ]

He pretty much hopes everyone dies bitter. Just put him on ignore.

kerssens
09-02-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the bitter? I dunno

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably, but it's nothing to do with German. It came about in a weird way. When I was trying to register, I was trying to choose a name based on a film. I tried DrNo, but it refused me. Then I tried 'diehard', and it said no again, but suggested DieBitter. I liked it, it fits me perfectly (I can get really really angry if I feel stupidity is hindering me in any way - poor call centres, inattentive drivers etc etc), and kept it.

This story probably wasn't worth reading.

jakethebake
09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the bitter? I dunno

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's close. "die bittere" would be "the bitter". No? I don't think the name is german.

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:48 AM
above, see above above

HopeydaFish
09-02-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"That bitterly"

diebitter
09-02-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"That bitterly"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I like that. It's Haiki without the long, boring stretches.

lucas9000
09-02-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This story definitely wasn't worth reading.

[/ QUOTE ]