PDA

View Full Version : how to get started, low risk 10% return?

tommo
08-31-2005, 11:26 AM
hey, I've built up a significant income from poker and have about 50k to spend on investments. I'm worried that the poker market might eventually dry up and I'd like to invest this money.

I want to start a business after college (so three years).
Basically, I'm looking for a good way to invest my money that will give me a decent return 7%-10% with little risk and still allow me to withdraw money in 3-5 years.

I have no idea whatsoever how to get started as well. I'm not even sure how people go about buying stocks or bonds or whatever it is I should be buying/looking at. please help me out.

TStoneMBD
08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
index funds are exactly what youre looking for.

midas
08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
You need to do a search. This topic has been beaten to death.

ChromePony
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Go to Vanguard.com and check out their S&P index funds, lowest expense ratio around from what I hear. I just put some money in one of those, long term you can probably average around 10% though who knows whats gunna happen in the next year or two.

sammysusar
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
There does not exist a low risk 10% per year return.
You can invest in such things as mutual funds. you may do better than 10% in the short run and the long run should be like 7 percent or so. The only guaranteed returns these days are about 3% on CDs and stuff like that.

tommo
09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I get more than 3% in my savings account. I really can't do better than this with a 3-4 year investment of $20k or more?

squiffy
09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, I agree. That is my understanding. With stocks you will face substantial risk, especially if you have done no reading. You should start reading and then ask specific questions.

Stocks are risky. If you don't know what you are doing, you could lose a lot of money in a short period of time.

Even if you know what you are doing, your stocks may drop in value in the short term, and they may not be high enough for you to sell at a profit. You may need to hold for the long term.

Again, start reading all you can. Try www.vanguard.com (http://www.vanguard.com) and Stocks for the Long Run.