PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Way To Learn Spanish?

IggyWH
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I've always wanted to learn a new language, mostly Spanish. What's the best way to go about that? I've had some classes in high school but that was many years ago and I didn't really retain anything from them.

I really want to learn how to speak, but I'd also like to know how to read and write. Should I just stick to learning to speak at first? Should I take college classes? Should I buy some "Learn Spanish" tapes? What do you suggest is the best route for me to take?

fluxrad
08-28-2005, 11:05 PM
It really depends on how much pain you want to put yourself through. Most foreign language tapes you can buy are good if you want to pick up a few phrases, but are pretty bad if your goal is to become fluent. I would look at college classes or, if you don't want to spend the money, look at local adult education curriculum offered by the city you live in.

Also, make sure you know some people you'll be able to talk Spanish with outside of class. I took French in high school and the biggest issue I've had is retention since the only other person I know that speaks french is my sister. If you live in the Southwest, this shouldn't be a problem.

Rushmore
08-28-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to learn a new language, mostly Spanish. What's the best way to go about that? I've had some classes in high school but that was many years ago and I didn't really retain anything from them.

I really want to learn how to speak, but I'd also like to know how to read and write. Should I just stick to learning to speak at first? Should I take college classes? Should I buy some "Learn Spanish" tapes? What do you suggest is the best route for me to take?

[/ QUOTE ]

Become a heroin addict and move to the Mission in San Francisco.

You'll learn really fast. It's true, you won't learn how to read it or write it, but by then, that stuff won't matter.

At all.

kyro
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I have no idea. But the first thing that came to mind was that scene in Billy Madison.

"SLOW.....DOWN"

LethalRose
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Live somewhere where spanish is the primary language. After 3 months you will be set.

fluxrad
08-28-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Live somewhere where spanish is the primary language. After 3 months you will be set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Denver, so it's close ;-)

IHateKeithSmart
08-28-2005, 11:28 PM
If you end up with cds/tapes, I think pimsleur is the way to go. I have a shelf full of spanish cds/books (and my girlfriend is from Spain /images/graemlins/frown.gif), and the pimsleurs were the best resource for helping me learn.

08-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Come to NY.

DeadMoneyOC
08-28-2005, 11:31 PM
You need to study a lot so you have a basic understanding of the language(grammer,vocab,etc...). Then you can practice with native speakers. If you think you can just pick up a language by listening to it you are wrong. Listen to spanish music and watch spanish movies also. Its good stuff!

Redd
08-28-2005, 11:39 PM
I've been listening to the pimsleur tapes in the car y apriendo un poco, pero despacio. After I get through all 50 hours worth I'm gonna move onto setting up DVDs for spanish dubbing and english subtitles.

sexdrugsmoney
08-28-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pimsleur

Warik
08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come to Miami.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

jesusarenque
08-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Move to a Spanish-speaking country or get a Spanish-speaking girlfriend.

STLantny
08-28-2005, 11:58 PM
I took 4 years of french in HS, cant speak a word, but I can read write understand. I am starting Italian in January, at a community college, I dont go there, but you can take a class 2 nights a week for cheap. I also live in the italian section of my city, and they have clubs, that all they speak is Italian, forcing me to learn it quick. I suggest you take a comm college and find a spanish club to frequent.

nothumb
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Move to a Spanish-speaking country or get a Spanish-speaking girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spanish speaking girlfriends are great, if you can deal with psychotic jealousy every time you so much as pick up a Sears catalog with a fat white girl on the cover.

In all seriousness, if you are willing to invest a little time independently, try to scrounge up a high school Spanish textbook and just learn some basic grammar and conjugation. Spanish is a very easy and logical language. I'm sure you have at least one friend who speaks Spanish; have them practice with you a few times a week. The key with learning any language is to keep using it; if you don't, your skills will deteriorate.

NT

poker-penguin
08-29-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get a psychoticly jealous five foot tall Colombian girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Not because it helps with Spanish particularly (although I do still call people who piss me off Hijo de puta) but because well, it's just a good idea dammit.

But seriously, total immersion is the best way of learning a language, especially if you have some grounding before starting.

Behind that is practising a lot with native speakers.

Behind that is taking classes.

Behind that is textbook

Behind that is audiotapes (fine for parroting a few phrases but harder to learn more general stuff from).

HoldingFolding
08-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Before travelling for over a year in South America I spent 2 months in Antigua, Guatemala learning. It gave me a great grounding in the language, it was cheap and Antigua is a beautiful & fun town.

beernutz
08-29-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, any Mexican prison should do it. By the way, to get you started, Spanish for daddy is papi.