PDA

View Full Version : ATo UTG super-tight game

DavidC
08-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Table VPIP is 18.

BB is loose, the only loose guy at the table.

I raise. Is this good?

08-24-2005, 02:31 PM
switch tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Are you playing at PokerRoom? I started there, had to get out after moving to .5/1 due to the tightness of the tables.

I think it's fine to raise this under those conditions, you just need to be careful if someone plays back at you, but on a supertight table you have a good chance of folding everyone but that loose BB, especially if your image is half-decent, as they won't expect you to raise UTG w/ a subpar hand. Then you're heads up and in position.

KingOtter
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Table VPIP is 18.

I raise. Is this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been known to through some loose raises at a tight table. I try not to go to war on them, though.

But wait until the loose guy limps in, then raise. I don't think there's any need to get impatient to do something drastic like this just to isolate BB.

KO

DavidC
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
switch tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to concentrate on the current hand. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DavidC
08-24-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing at PokerRoom? I started there, had to get out after moving to .5/1 due to the tightness of the tables.

I think it's fine to raise this under those conditions, you just need to be careful if someone plays back at you, but on a supertight table you have a good chance of folding everyone but that loose BB, especially if your image is half-decent, as they won't expect you to raise UTG w/ a subpar hand. Then you're heads up and in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... Slotbloom recommends folding AJo in this spot, and he's been fairly successful for a considerable period of time. I like the idea of raising, but even a call from one of the tight players is a problem. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I'm playing Party and PokerRoom now, and it's been just deadly. To give you an idea, I've opened four tables today and I only have 1 open currently (a half hour later) because I had to close the other 3. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've chronicled my adventures there in the Internet Bonuses forum. The software's tough to learn, but after a while you get used to it. The tables are terrible, though.

Edit: not sure what Abdul has to say about this... Both of those guys play in super-tight and fairly aggressive games.

DavidC
08-24-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Table VPIP is 18.

I raise. Is this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been known to through some loose raises at a tight table. I try not to go to war on them, though.

But wait until the loose guy limps in, then raise. I don't think there's any need to get impatient to do something drastic like this just to isolate BB.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks bro.

aces_dad
08-24-2005, 03:10 PM
If you can isolate against BB it's fine, but the problem is, as you've alluted to, if you're called or worse raised in a tight, agressive game, you could easily be dominated.

Anyway I don't think it's horrible, just marginal. I would try to find a different table though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DavidC
08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can isolate against BB it's fine, but the problem is, as you've alluted to, if you're called or worse raised in a tight, agressive game, you could easily be dominated.

Anyway I don't think it's horrible, just marginal. I would try to find a different table though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my last hand.

08-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Sorry about that. I have tried clearing bonuses at some other sites and the microlimit games seem to suck in general. As for your hand I do not like the UTG raise with A10o. I think it's a big risk with a marginal hand just to get heads up with the weak BB. Probably not a huge mistake but it's going to be a hard hand to play if you get called by one of the tighties. With him on your left you will have plenty of opportunities to isolate him with stronger hands and fewer players left to act.

Twitch1977
08-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't like the idea of an UTG raise with ATo at all, the reason being as many alluded to the only people (other then the BB) that play with you are going to have a better hand.

Having a loose BB might help the situation a bit, but if you couple the times he folds to your raise (depends how loose he is I guess) with the chance of having a much stronger hand play back at you makes me want to get rid of this in a hurry.

T

Shillx
08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Fold. Even clearer fold if they are tight + good. If they are tight and bad (when the flop comes) then it is closer but I still fold in EP.

Brad