PDA

View Full Version : is this really that bad a call? (bottom set, 4-to-straight on board)

08-11-2005, 10:12 PM
1-2NL @ foxwoods today

i'm on the button with about 160, and get dealt T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

5 players limp, i raise to 25, and get called by the BB(godawful indian guy that has been calling big raises from any position with suited cards) and ultra LAG older asian guy in the cutoff (last hand got caught betting $100 into the raiser with a gutshot)

flop ($85 in pot) -

T /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

checked around, i bet 35 and both call.

turn ($190 in pot)-

8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB instantly pushes for 50, LAG folds, i think it over with my cards face up for a minute and call

reasoning that i'm calling $50 into a $240 pot (slightly less than 5:1) , and he could very plausibly have two pair or *really* misplaying top pair, even though in my mind i have already given him credit for the 9....the pot size plus the abnormally large chance that i am still ahead given the awful play i have seen out of him prior urges me to call

DoomSlice
08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
It would be a bad fold. You have pot odds to call even if you're 100% sure you're losing to a straight.

The problem with this hand is the flop, where you are giving anyone with a 8, 9, K, or A a very good price to draw out on you.

imported_anacardo
08-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Call is mandatory, but for Christ's sake pot the flop.

08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
i was trying to make sure that my math was right....i'm getting almost 5:1 on my money and as long as he doesnt have a higher set (something i am 100% sure of) then at worst i am a 4:1 dog, correct?

imported_anacardo
08-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Closer to 3:1.

webmonarch
08-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Wait, what was the racial makeup or every other player? No way I can evaluate without knowing that.

08-12-2005, 12:20 AM
there are a lot of posters from here that play very regularly in the 1-2NL and 2-4NL game at foxwoods, a physical description can help if someone can attest to having played with them before or even having seen the hand themselves that day.

example - the LAG old asian is someone i have definitely seen multiple times before, but had never personally played with him

08-12-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call is mandatory, but for Christ's sake pot the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

shouldnt i just push if i'm going to bet the pot?

results oriented thinking on my part but - wouldnt i have been better off betting 50 on the flop instead of betting the flop? (bringing two possible players along if i fill up instead of just the nut straight that i know is calling me)

08-12-2005, 02:45 PM
hah i didnt actually post my results...villian turns over AK for the flopped nut straight, so the two 9's left in the deck that would have split the pot are of no use to me, river is blank and he takes down the pot

Ojo_Rojo
08-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Although you didnt give your opponents stack sizes, "bringing two players along" isnt your biggest priority - stacking at least one of your opponents should be your target, and this is an action flop for you.

Bet the pot on the flop, and all in on the turn.

Ojo_Rojo

08-12-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait, what was the racial makeup or every other player? No way I can evaluate without knowing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were there any of them dark colored "blacks" at the table? Knowing that would help.

08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Were there any of them dark colored "blacks" at the table? Knowing that would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

And why the hell would you put your cards face up? Unless you really are a jackass.

08-13-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And why the hell would you put your cards face up? Unless you really are a jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew my call would be based simply on the odds the pot was giving me, nothing more.

i needed to count the pot up in my head to make sure my math was correct, so i turned the cards up since i was 99.9% sure i was going to be calling already, and other players wont be agitated if they otherwise would have thought I was wasting time in a time-charged game.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

foxwoods is one of the largest poker rooms in the world, it really isnt suprising if other players that post on here have played with the them before.

i really dont see it as being any diffrent from saying "fat guy with glasses in the 5 seat"

edge
08-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Ah ha! You're not allowed to ever mention race in any context in today's North American society, because you'll instantly be tagged as a racist by people who are trying to prove how open they are and clearly not racists themselves! Of course race doesn't matter in any way and you're obviously prejudiced by mentioning that one of the players was an Asian man.

Hey, it's just cards, no need to bring race into this. Why don't you describe every player's race? Then we can have a much better read on what you should do.

Racist.