PDA

View Full Version : I'm Immune to Caffeine

sthief09
08-10-2005, 01:39 PM
what do I do? after getting 5 shots of espresso on ice twice a day for the last 3 months, it doesn't work for me anymore. I think bumping it to 8 shots would probably be really bad for me, but I'm chronically tired despite going to bed more or less at hte same time every night and getting 7-9 hours. I need something to pick me up. red bull also doesn't work for me.

and speed and coke aren't an option

Tron
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Adderall?

touchfaith
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Switch to decaf for 2 weeks. Really. You'd be amazed at the results when going back to caffinated.

I drink a shitload of coffee and have to give my body a break once in a while or it becomes like drinking water.

[censored]
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what do I do? after getting 5 shots of espresso on ice twice a day for the last 3 months, it doesn't work for me anymore. I think bumping it to 8 shots would probably be really bad for me, but I'm chronically tired despite going to bed more or less at hte same time every night and getting 7-9 hours. I need something to pick me up. red bull also doesn't work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a long time Moutain Dew addict I have been through this many times. I tend to get very tired when I get dehydrated. So I would suggest A) exercising before you go to bed to ensure a good sleep and B) drinking gatorade in the morning which has worked for me.

johnnycakes
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I found that caffeinated drinks did a better job of keeping me awake when I stopped adding whiskey to all of them.

SomethingClever
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you need to cut back.

Force yourself to go cold turkey for a few days, then begin with maybe just 2 shots twice a day. Don't let your tolerance build up that much again.

SomethingClever
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) exercising before you go to bed to ensure a good sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work for everyone. Vigorous exercise in the evening will actually prevent me from getting to sleep. I do tend to sleep well when I finally get there, though.

Laomedon
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Adderall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would second this idea, but unless you're prescribed it, daily usage will lead to dependency (addiction) and is definitely -EV in the long run.

I am not prescribed adderall, but use it occasionally when I have something substantial to do (paper, project, large buy-in tournament). It's definitely going to keep you awake, the risk of dependancy is the only concern.

HopeydaFish
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Ugh. You're pretty screwed in the short-term. You've developed a dependency, so now all the caffeine does is make you feel normal.

I went through this while I was juggling going to University and working full-time. I was drinking crazy amounts of coffee to stay awake. What I ended up doing was taking 2 weeks off work over the Christmas holidays (and after exams were over at school), and not drinking any coffee at all. The withdrawal was absolutely horrible...blistering headaches...sleeping 12+ hours a day...feeling like crap all the time...but eventually it passed. Once I was back in school I was able to have a normal amount of coffee again in order to feel the effects of the caffeine -- but I wouldn't drink coffee unless I *really* needed it.

Oh, and I also started having heart murmurs around this time because of my massive caffeine intake. Good times.

Reqtech
08-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a similar problem...definitely hooked on caffeine. If I "really" need to wake up, I'll drink some Alka Seltzer Morning Relief. It's a hangover cure, but it's basically aspirin plus LOTS of caffeine. I never use it more than once every couple weeks, but it's a real shot in the arm for when I need it.

ChipWrecked
08-10-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meth.

HopeydaFish
08-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Good point. Drinking a lot of water will help out with the tiredness. Most caffeinated drinks will dehydrate you, and dehydration will give you the runned down feeling.

Alobar
08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm chronically tired despite going to bed more or less at hte same time every night and getting 7-9 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you given thought into finding out if you have a sleeping disorder?

sfer
08-10-2005, 02:03 PM
It's because you're diluting it. No more ice.

durron597
08-10-2005, 02:07 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/bawls_2up.jpg (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/2818/) http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/shower-shock.jpg (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/)

sfer
08-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Also, I've heard of people giving themselves hot, black coffee enemas in the morning. Clearly this is the caffeine junkie's future, much like a needle injecting drug-addict can look forward to searching high and low for veins and settling on his eyelids.

Enjoy them.

jakethebake
08-10-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I've heard of people giving themselves hot, black coffee enemas in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hot? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sthief09
08-10-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Adderall?

[/ QUOTE ]

well I have ADHD so I've been on adderall in the past, and it just doesn't work well for me. I end up organizing [censored] but never getting anything done. I should've mentioned that

sthief09
08-10-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a long time Moutain Dew addict I have been through this many times. I tend to get very tired when I get dehydrated. So I would suggest A) exercising before you go to bed to ensure a good sleep and B) drinking gatorade in the morning which has worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get free bottles of water at work, so I drink about 2 gallons of water a day. maybe I should drink more though

BottlesOf
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I end up organizing [censored] but never getting anything done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm picturing Josh organizing his books and papers according to the Dewey Decimal system while dressed like an accountant. Then I'm picturing you just sitting there twiddling your thumbs over you organized desk. This is cracking me up.

sthief09
08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you need to cut back.

Force yourself to go cold turkey for a few days, then begin with maybe just 2 shots twice a day. Don't let your tolerance build up that much again.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably what I'll have to do

interestingly, I'm not addicted. days where I feel like being lazy, I can go the whole day without any physical affects

BottlesOf
08-10-2005, 02:23 PM
If you feel like you're suffering from some kind of chronic fatigue, I would honestly talk to a doctor about it and not worry about what OOT advises.

DougOzzzz
08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Caffeine does almost nothing for me. I've never been a big coffee drinker either, so it's not like I've developed a tolerance or anything.

Occasionally I am exhausted and have to go to work, or stay awake for some other reason. I drink coffee, red bull, whatever. I feel my heart racing, but I'm still tired. I've puked a couple times from this, and decided to stop trying. When I'm tired, I'm just [censored] tired. Not much I can do about it, unless I start doing speed or coke or something.

[censored]
08-10-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get free bottles of water at work, so I drink about 2 gallons of water a day. maybe I should drink more though

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm, how about adding a dailey vitamin?

Sifmole
08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adderall?

[/ QUOTE ]

well I have ADHD so I've been on adderall in the past, and it just doesn't work well for me. I end up organizing [censored] but never getting anything done. I should've mentioned that

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to give you a serious, out-there, answer based on the ADHD diagnosis and the run-down feeling:

Change your diet, eat a GF/CF ( gluten-free and Casein-free ) diet. Do a search and you will find alot about it. Basically no wheat, flour, bread stuff ( although there are alternatives at the super market ) and no milk-based products ( cheese, milk, yogurt, etc ). Do this for two weeks and it will likely make you feel significantly better.

I would also add a multi-vitamin w/ significant iron to your daily routine. If you have regular problems with your bowels ( many ADHD people do ), Taurine is often helpful. There is also something called IGG2000 which is often helpful.

Taurine and IGG2000 will help you better process the food you eat, if you are having this issue it will make you feel much better. The change in diet is predicated on theory that many ADHD individuals are actually experiencing a food intolerance. Iron helps carry oxygen around the body, anemics feel very tired because they are low in iron.

Oh and in all these cases you will want to cut out the caffeine intake.

Ed Miller
08-10-2005, 02:54 PM
This space intentionally left blank.

wayabvpar
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Feliz Cumpleanos, Senor Miller.

08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hot, black coffee enemas

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub
08-10-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Provigil.

scrub

SL__72
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Eat many fruits/vegetables? Or do you take vitamins? I'm no expert but I'd think certain dietary deficiencies could cause you to feel tired.

Ogre
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
caffeine doesnt help me stay awake at all

meep_42
08-10-2005, 03:47 PM
You should seriously consider killing yourself?

No, that's not it....

Uhm, just stop using caffeine where exercise will do.
That's my crappy advice.

-d

jackdaniels
08-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm curious why Speed and Coke aren't options... Seems like they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better options that this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3106556&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =3106277&Search=true&where=&Name=7540&daterange=&n ewerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= #Post3106556)

Of course, that's just my opinion.

smb394
08-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Adderall XR (make sure it's extended release)

ChicagoTroy
08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
What does a typical day's eating look like?

sthief09
08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
2 meals a day. for lunch I usually just go to this place next door with a hot bar. overall 1.1 lbs of food everyday. usually sauteed flank steak, a little pasta assorted, and some chicken. I have asparagus or broccoli rabe if they have any but that's only about once or twice a week.

dinner can be a variety of things, all take out. my oven and stove don't work in this room but I've only been here two months and I'm moving out Sunday, so I never complained about it. so either I get a chicken burrito, a bbq beef sandwich, or from the italian market near me meatloaf of rotisserie chicken, or something along those lines.

but sometimes I eat bad. like twice a week. usually chinese food or a burger or something like that. fast food prob every other week.

and 90% of what I drink aside from coffee is water and I'd say I drink like 1.5-2 gallons a day

the only excersize I get is walking about a mile to and from the subway station to work, so 2 miles of walking a day.