PDA

View Full Version : What I See In Poker

08-10-2005, 12:41 AM
What I See In Poker

Women and men can praise their set or pair
While playing in his or her underwear.

Those family pots amongst learned misfits;
The whole world sitting across from where I sit.

You can get hit with the deck and drawing dead,
Then get sucked out by the big blind in the red.

Sklanmuthian filleted mathematics;
Poker brats with their third grade theatrics.

Not flushing can really stink
And occurs more than we think.

Buttons and chips and five limpers and stakes;
Reading tells and checks and rivers and rakes.

Flopping a rainbow may make one charged and gay.
Dropping not two/three or dos/tres, but deuce/trey.

2+2 can equal positive EV,
While most will imitate WPT.

Teenage trust fund kids blowing dad’s dough online;
Vital old hands going through the perfect line.

aura

... there are more on the tip/s of my brain/fingers. This was my first attempt at poker poetry. I couldn't help myself. I hope you enjoy it.

08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Good first effort; work on your meter and you'll wind up the poker poet laureate.

08-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks. I vary meter slightly as you can tell. I'm actually surprised you caught it. It's sort of subtle except for the middle. I suppose it's trying to defy the restriction of a rigid structure.

I will try to create one with structurally perfect meter in the future. It is very difficult to make it "work" with meter exactly on time throughout a whole poem.

I am glad this forum can teach, inspire, and motivate it's readers/posters to excel away from the tables.

[ QUOTE ]
...you'll wind up the poker poet laureate.

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me blush. Thanks, peth

08-14-2005, 12:42 AM
enjoyed it very much,and being somewhat uncouth, I thought the not flushing can stink line pretty clever.
Here is one of mine. It's a Haiku.

Today I was burned
The game demands I breathe fire
I mustn't fear heat

08-14-2005, 12:52 AM
I liked the poem. It defintely reminds me of low stakes online poker. And the ryhming isn't bad. The meter, I didn't even notice.

08-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks, jk. The Haiku is pretty good, and I usually don't enjoy them very much.

08-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks. I realized today that I didn't mention "the bubble" or "the nuts" (slaps forehead). Damn. Could easily be in the same line. Responses or any questions are welcome. Maybe a line or two of a new poem contributed by others to create a new multiauthored poem? Just an idea. I will write more of my own soon.

08-14-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vital old hands going through the perfect line.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what this meant. Hands like hands or hands like "hands"? Don't know what perfect line means in relation.

[ QUOTE ]
Women and men can praise their set or pair

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure why someone would praise a Pair. But I guess I use to think a pair of 3s was good.

[ QUOTE ]
Then get sucked out by the big blind in the red.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the red?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny, but doesn't make much sense. Seems like you were trying to fit in a rhyme here.

[ QUOTE ]
You can get hit with the deck and drawing dead,

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what "hit with the deck means". Is it literal? I don't think so. But can't think of any meanings.

---------
Anyways I still liked it. I liked the tone, very whimsical. I think that's becuase of the rhyme and meter. Surprisinly the rhyme didn't bother me. I normally hate rhyming.

wtfsvi
08-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Are you a girl? If so, I looved it so much. If not, it was ok I guess. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think you could get more out of the "flopping a rainbow"-phrase.

Editet to remove "haha". I use it too much /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif (I'll edit to remove some smileys too soon, I use them too much too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

amoeba
08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
this isn't SR in disguise is it?

wtfsvi
08-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Damn. I might settle for Spirit Rock instead of a girl. He was gay, wasn't he?

Haha. No i won't.

08-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Wow. Okay, gohn. Here we go...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what this meant. Hands like hands or hands like "hands"? Don't know what perfect line means in relation.

[/ QUOTE ]
An "old hand" is a title on this forum for someone who's been here a long time. A "perfect line" refers to finding the best way to play a hand. A line is the way someone plays a hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why someone would praise a Pair. But I guess I use to think a pair of 3s was good.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is rare, but if it's like AA vs. KK, someone may say "nice pair" or something. I was sort of going for the double entendre.... set can be testicles or breasts... a pair can be testicles or breasts.

[ QUOTE ]
In the red?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is someone who's losing.... you're in the green if you are winning.

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, but doesn't make much sense. Seems like you were trying to fit in a rhyme here.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I have AA and see K94 raindbow, I'm very happy. Also I was trying to mix in the rainbow coalition thing, which is a homosexual group. With this and other lines, I was trying to include some "different" groups of people, as poker can include even all people.

Getting "hit with the deck" means getting an unusual number of good hands in a short period of time.

Thanks for the questions and the responses, gohn.

xcrack999
08-14-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Flopping a rainbow may make one charged and gay? CLASSIC! Come on! rainbow? gay? rainbow? gay? no? Ok, maybe it's just me then. Very nice poem. You gotta post more.

08-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Greetings wtfsvi,

No, I'm not a girl. I'm glad you thought it was "ok".
Haha

08-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Thanks, crack... I'm glad you got it. I thought it was one of the better lines in the poem myself. I will post more soon. Does anyone like the multiauthored poem idea? I see no lines yet.

wtfsvi
08-14-2005, 01:48 AM
What about "Teenage trust fund kids making daddy's dough mine", to avoid the online-line rhyme?

Oh well, I'm no poet /images/graemlins/cool.gif

If the poem was in Norwegian I would question the use of semicolons, but I'm no authority on that foreign language you're using, so I'll just keep my mouth shut. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

08-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Guidelines for the multiauthored poker poem
..... must be rhyming and at least seven syllables and about poker.

08-14-2005, 01:52 AM
wtfsvi,

Ummmm. No need to shut your mouth. How about starting the new multiauthored one? You can throw in a Norwegian word or something.... hopefully we'll understand it.

08-14-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't SR in disguise is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny

amoeba
08-14-2005, 03:04 AM
in all seriousness it was pretty well done.

I like sklanmuthian.

08-14-2005, 03:19 AM
Thanks, amoeba..... and I really did think asking if I was SR in disguise was funny. Heh heh.