PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Queens out of position

runnerunner
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Live 6 handed $5-5 NL game. I have $600 and Villian has $300. Villian is stuck about $750 in the session in a $300 buy in game. He has made a few calls with two pair and lost to straights/flushes. He is very agressive and plays position well. He views me as a relatively solid TAG.

Folds to me UTG +1, I raise to $20 with Red Queens. Villian calls on the button. BB calls.

Flop ($65) is 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB Checks, I bet $30. Villian Calls, BB folds. At this point I am pretty sure I am ahead and put him on a heart draw or 78. I am also fairly sure that he puts me on a big pair and will move to take the pot from me if I show weakness.

Turn($125) K /images/graemlins/club.gif I bet $40, Villian calls. At this point I don't like my hand so much, but he still could be drawing.

River($205) 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet $40 Villian pushes for about $175 more. I now think he has a full house or a busted draw, but I don't know which. My action??? Comments on all streets appreciated.

gomberg
07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
as played, easy call on the river.

If you really feel he'll take the pot away from you if you act weak, I like a CR all-in on the turn more than the double weak leads on the turn and river as it has a better risk-reward ratio.

chuddo
07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
bet more on the flop.

bet more on the turn.

bet more on the river, or check-call to induce a bluff.

lapoker17
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
You forgot bet more preflop.

esbesb
07-29-2005, 03:59 PM
You invited this by underbetting on every street, particularly the turn and river.

Having done so, I probably call but it is definitely read dependent. I lean toward calling because of the size of the checkraise.

Kirkrrr
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Why in the world would you bet 40 into a $100 pot? You're begging to half it taken away from you but an aggressive opponent. I bet 75 or just pot it. I don't think he's calling you on the flop with just two overcards, so I wouldn't consider the King a scare card (you said he was decent). If he pushes, call. if just calls, I check a blank river to let him bluff a busted draw.

On the river that completes a possible straight draw, you have to consider your opponent. Does he normally call pot-sized (assuming you were making roughly pot-sized bets as I think you should have been) bets with just a draw? Does he slowplay a lot? Being OOP sucks. I'd probably make a blocking bet of about one-half pot (100`ish).

my 2c.
Kirk R.

runnerunner
07-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I really f-ed up the turn. I lead weak on the flop because I was pretty sure that if I did he would raise and I was planning on reraising to end the hand. I was definitely not expecting just a call. Then when the king hit on the turn I was wishing I had bet more on the flop. I should have check raised the turn.

Kirkrrr
07-29-2005, 04:09 PM
I think there's too many possible draws to check the turn.

gomberg
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Sometimes you can tell w/ pretty high % that an opponent will bet - hence the risk is worth it for the CR if that's the read.

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Pot the flop, push the turn, according to your read.

Kirkrrr
07-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Very true, but are you talking in general or about his specific opponnent? I check against aggressive opponents that like to bluff and make moves who I know will try to blow me off the hand as soon as I show weakness. From the way he described his opponent, unless I missed something entirely, that did not seem to be the case. IMO a check behind and an ugly river will follow too often there.

Kirk R.

runnerunner
07-29-2005, 04:38 PM
My entire feeling throughout the hand was that he would try to take the pot from me as soon as I showed weakness. I had seen him do it very effectively throughout the night. These were really the only pots that he won. I severly underbet the river, I know, but a pot sized bet would have been putting him all in, and I wasn't sure how much I liked my hand. I should have led about $100 on the river.

ML4L
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey runner,

[ QUOTE ]
My entire feeling throughout the hand was that he would try to take the pot from me as soon as I showed weakness.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep saying this, and I can't bite my tongue anymore. Just because you check at some point doesn't mean that your opponent automatically gets the pot. You still have to fold before that happens. So, if you have a feeling that your opponent is going to try to bluff a lot if you ever check, might it not be a good idea to check and then call rather than fold?

ML4L

TheWorstPlayer
07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Or raise?

runnerunner
07-29-2005, 04:51 PM
I know, I know. As I said my plan was to lead weak enough to get him to raise, and then I would re-raise, but he didn't cooperate. What do you think he had?

ML4L
07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or raise, depending on which street he checks, bet size, stack sizes, etc. The check is the important part (or hell, he can lead small if he would rather, as long as he is doing it to induce a bluff-raise, which he will call, rather than just betting small because he was scared and/or didn't know what else to do).

ML4L

ML4L
07-29-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know, I know. As I said my plan was to lead weak enough to get him to raise, and then I would re-raise, but he didn't cooperate. What do you think he had?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your whole plan was to induce a raise, I don't see why the call on the river is in question...

I have no idea what he had. He could have any number of hands, some of which beat you, some of which don't. Boat, straight, trips, king, missed draw, complete bluff, other weird hand... Given what we know, I'd say that we're ahead often enough to call (although, a 3 on the river is prettier than that 9...).

Hope it worked out.

ML4L

runnerunner
07-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I called and was shown slow-played A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif. I wasn't really debating on whether to call or not. I was sure that I was going to call. I posted the hand to see if I could have played it any differently not to double the guy up. Thanks for all of the comments.

Runner

flawless_victory
07-30-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I called and was shown slow-played A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL...
i bet this guy was really proud of himself!

-Skeme-
07-30-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am also fairly sure that he puts me on a big pair and will move to take the pot from me if I show weakness.

Turn($125) K I bet $40

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.