PDA

View Full Version : Best router for home wireless networking

colgin
07-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I am expecting my new Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop today or tomorrow. I also ordered the following NetGear router (WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router)to attach to my cable modem so I could use the laptopp wirelessly in the living room.

I have now read some complaints online about Netgear routers. Since that is shipping later anyway, I can still cancel and run out to the lcal computer store and get something different.

Any suggestions? My apartment is small so range is not that important. Ease of installation and reliability are my main concerns.

Thanks.

Colgin

ZBTHorton
07-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Linksys rocks...seriously.

FouTight
07-28-2005, 03:38 PM
We have recently switched from giving customers netgear to linksys here, due mostly to the pile of dead netgears I have to wade through. Havent' had the linksys long enough to make a good sample size.

Eratosthenes
07-28-2005, 05:01 PM
I use the linksys wrt54g and have installed about a dozen of them various other places. It has b/g wireless and 4 wired ports. It also has a strong linux-based firewall that is very flexible and very secure. They usually cost $49 or $59 at best buy, compusa, etc. You can get less expensive wireless routers, but I think these are worth the extra 10 or 20 bucks.

Don't forget to: enable encryption (wep) and change the password.

You can also download replacement firmware for the wrt54g. That firmware allows you to adjust the wireless broadcast power. I use that feature to lower the power to the lowest reliable level so that neighbors and war drivers have more trouble connecting to my access point.

jedi
07-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Slight hijack. I already have a Netgear wireless router and the wireless connection craps out every 10 minutes or so with my laptop. I've tried changing all the settings, turned encryption on/off and nothing seems to change. The only thing that I've heard might make a difference is my cordless phone, but that's usually just resting on the cradle.

What to do? Anything to look at to stop the drops, or should I just buy a new one? I can't play poker with the laptop anymore because of it.

FouTight
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Jedi, very likely is the phone, or any of a number of interference causing devices (ie TV radiation, microwave ovens, or even the force being used)

The problem can be hard to solve, perhaps try unplugging the phone completely for a while and see if the problem persists.

Cerril
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Oddly, I had a linksys that worked perfectly for poker apps and most everything else, but I also do a lot of online gaming and certain wireless routers are just unable to work properly, so we switched to a Netgear and I haven't had any huge issues. But if you're just doing poker or know your apps aren't on the 'known issue' list, go with the linksys

bly
07-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Cisco thought enough of Linksys to buy the company.. that says a lot about thier products...

I've got linksys routers all over the place without a failure yet.

07-30-2005, 12:31 AM
I use the Linksys WRT54G as well, and have for the past 6 months. I have found it to be an excellent router and have never had a problem with it. But if you do, Linksys has excellent phone tech support.

mikeyvegas
07-30-2005, 04:00 AM
I would also recommed the Linksys wrt54g. It's easy to configure and very reliable. It also has linux firmware which can be upgraded to allow even more options than a normail router. Check out Sveasoft (http://www.sveasoft.com/) for more info on this.

A good way to secure your router is to run WEP, disable SSID broadcast, and setup a MAC access list.

Spota
07-30-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would also recommed the Linksys wrt54g

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY easy to configure and they are popular enough so support isnt hard to find.