PDA

View Full Version : 400 Sit n go post...

Baked67
07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
1st place 60 15.00%
2nd place 58 14.50%
3rd place 44 11.00%
4th place 30 7.50%
5th place 43 10.75%
6th place 47 11.75%
7th place 42 10.50%
8th place 32 8.00%
9th place 21 5.25%
10th place 23 5.75%

Total 400

In The Money 162 40.50%

Total Spent $4,400.00
Total Prize Money $5,620.00
Total Profit $1,220.00
Return of Investment 27.73%
Profit per STT $3.05

After a horrific downswing through games 250-300 I bounced back with a great upswing and starting churning out a profit again...Once I get to 500 games I'll make the jump to the 20's...thanks for all the advice on here. I know I couldn't have done this well without 2+2...

Peace

wulfheir
07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
nice numbers, good luck at the 22s.

45suited
07-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Good numbers, but 19% for 8th-10th seem a bit high. Not trying to nit pick.

Nicholasp27
07-15-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah, try tightening up the first 2-3 rounds and you'll prolly see a decent hike in your itm% and roi

the blinds just aren't worth loose play in the first few rounds

mlagoo
07-15-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good numbers, but 19% for 8th-10th seem a bit high. Not trying to nit pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not posted my numbers before because I don't have a sample size that anyone here will find anything but silly (I play like 8-10 hours a week... so little free time). In fact I likely browse these forums more than I play because I can browse from work.

Anyway, over about 200 11s, stretched over months (again -- small sample size -- I know), my 8th-10th% is slightly higher, and my ROI roughly the same, and I'm not sure there is anything wrong with this.

There are so many idiots that habitually go out 7th-10th that are just begging to give their chips away, that I hate to see those chips go to other, decent players. So I like to be in there mixing it up during the first few levels. I just try and stay away from dominated hands and play cards that I can bust donks with.

I just... I'm not sure that the common wisdom of very tight early is necessarily correct. I think with the caliber of players who go bust so quickly at the beginning of tournaments, you have to afford yourself the opportunity to collect those chips. At least that's my take on it.

Mr_J
07-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Good results so far.

7th to 10th are quite high for this buyin. 3rd and 4th are low. It looks like your've been very unlucky early on but once shorthanded got a bit lucky. Another explanation could be you have been too loose early on and a bit lucky shorthanded. Just move up nad keep playing. If it's variance it'll straighten itself out, if they are leaks then that'll show over time.

Ixnert
07-15-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, over about 200 11s, stretched over months (again -- small sample size -- I know), my 8th-10th% is slightly higher, and my ROI roughly the same, and I'm not sure there is anything wrong with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strictly speaking, there isn't anything wrong with it. The only number that matters in the final analysis is your ROI.

There is, however, a strong correlation, for most people, between lowering their percentage of very early exits (9 and 10) and improving their ROI, because very early exits above a certain base percentage (the occasional AA/KK getting cracked) usually indicate that you're playing hands that can get you in trouble. If you're good postflop, you can play more hands, and this isn't as true, but most people, let's face it, aren't. For most players, simplifying decisions at a time when you usually have a lot to lose and comparatively little to gain is +EV.

You might find it worthwhile to experiment with tightening preflop and see if it improves your ROI any. If it does, go with it; if it doesn't, it's not those finish percentages that really matter (except for 1/2/3) anyway.

mlagoo
07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might find it worthwhile to experiment with tightening preflop and see if it improves your ROI any. If it does, go with it; if it doesn't, it's not those finish percentages that really matter (except for 1/2/3) anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think actually I might need to tighten up postflop. Sometimes I try to have the best of both worlds -- I think that if I flop a big hand I can break a donkey that can't fold; but at the same time, I think I can make a callstation fold when I don't flop a big hand.

So I think preflop I'm fine.. I'm happy with my hand selection. But postflop I need to appreciate the fact that I'm playing these hands to hit big and bust somebody, not to outplay someone with my 7 high.

I do (honestly) appreciate the advice though.

Mr_J
07-15-2005, 04:20 PM
"I'm not sure that the common wisdom of very tight early is necessarily correct"

$11ers generally don't have the experience to identify the right opportunities and will generally just increase their variance, or even lower their ROI.

Baked67
07-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I play pretty tight early on...I support the ideaof tight play in the 1st 3 blind levels...but I'll still mix it up with suited connecters, PP's AK, AQ, KQs, ect. I think I have been extremely unlucky in a lot of these situations. I play at pokerroom with 1500 dollar stacks, in case that makes a difference...It seems that we get to level 4 and 5 with 7-9 people left quite a bit.

45suited
07-15-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at pokerroom with 1500 dollar stacks, in case that makes a difference

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it makes more sense