PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of kids doing this?

DrunkIrish05
07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
CNN story (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/choking.game.ap/index.html)

... and what 10 year olds are looking for ways to get high other than drugs and alcohol?

jakethebake
07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Definite Darwin Award nominee.

swede123
07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I sincerly hope that when I have children they are not impressionable enough to be peer pressured into hanging themselves, looking for some kind of 'high'. I would have to blame poor parenting 100% in this case.

Swede

eric5148
07-13-2005, 03:04 PM
That's somewhat common.

I've heard of people (not me) who like to choke eachother during sex for the same reason.

IronDragon1
07-13-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

... and what 10 year olds are looking for ways to get high other than drugs and alcohol?

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredibly stupid ones

asofel
07-13-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's somewhat common.

I've heard of people (not me) who like to choke eachother during sex for the same reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

the lack of oxygen in your brain definitely does change the orgasm. I would never want to be joked, or joke someone, but you can simulate the effects somewhat by even holding your breath some.

brassnuts
07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Jesus, what idiots. Just settle for Whipits.

chaas4747
07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's somewhat common.

[/ QUOTE ]

the lack of oxygen in your brain definitely does change the orgasm. I would never want to be joked, or joke someone, but you can simulate the effects somewhat by even holding your breath some.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriends and I often tell knock, knock jokes during sex to get this effect.... It's OK.

Soul Daddy
07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
People used to do this all the time where I worked as a teenager. I can't remember if I did it or not *cough*.

Edit: Okay, maybe not hanging ourselves, but a version of the pass out game.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
When I was a kid, there were other kids who played a similar game, but it involved bumping your chest just right so that you lost your breath. Allegedly, you could do it just right to pass out.

imported_The Vibesman
07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
We used to do this to each other in freshman year of high school when we were stoned. This was fifteen years ago. Then a friend of mine who was particularly messed up did it to himself in detention, gave himself a seizure, and ended up in a counselling program. We quickly decided it was pretty stupid.

I can't believe anyone else is still doing it, but it's probably no worse than kids sniffing glue, paint fumes, gas, or aerosol. Kills me to hear how kids are starting all this crap younger and younger.

chaas4747
07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
They learned it from watching YOU!

asofel
07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's somewhat common.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriends and I often tell knock, knock jokes during sex to get this effect.... It's OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....

"knock *UGH* knock"
"who's *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa* therrrrrrrrrrre?"

beautiful

shant
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a kid, there were other kids who played a similar game, but it involved bumping your chest just right so that you lost your breath. Allegedly, you could do it just right to pass out.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I thought of when I read the CNN story. I thought it was idiotic.

threeonefour
07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

CNN story

[/ QUOTE ]

I died laughing when i clicked this link.

first i saw "children dead after playing 'passing out game'"

then i immediately thought "oh yea, some kids used to play that when I was about 9-11" then i see the story was set in Idaho which is where i am from. So I guess all the jokes about how backward the state is really are true.

i really hope some non-idahoans have seen kids doing this too /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People used to do this all the time where I worked as a teenager. I can't remember if I did it or not *cough*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

IndieMatty
07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I thought of when I read the CNN story. I thought it was idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto 2. Also when I became "of age" this was done while taking a huge bong hit. It was called "an elevator high".

So stupid.

JDErickson
07-13-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when I was a stupid teen we used to do this when stoned. You hyperventilate and then cut off the blood to your head with your fingers (basically choking yourself) until you pass out. It s an incredible rush.

But of course its also very stupid.

gorie
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
i had a friend in 7th grade (maybe younger) that use to make herself pass out by taking a deep breath and then choking herself. it was scary. i only saw her do it once or twice, and told her not to do it both times because it's stupid. but she did it anyway and would wake right up talking about how cool it is and try to get me to do it too.
i think she learned it from another friend that went to a different school. but yeah, kids do stupid things.

funny story about the same friend,(unrelated to the topic), one day at recess in 4th grade she was swinging, and was sucking on a quarter. she kept spitting it out and having me get it out of the grass to bring it back to her so she could keep spitting it for distance. i kept telling her how gross it was and she should stop doing it before she chokes (i'm no fun...), she of course laughs like i'm stupid and thinks it's a lot o fun.
of course this little game ended with her eyeballs getting really big as she's swinging, and she jumps off the swing pounding her chest. i'm like , are you ok ? and she seems all freaked out and says "i swallowed it!"
she ended up having to go to the doctor and the doctor said she had to watch her poop for it to come out and to make sure everything was ok.

PoBoy321
07-13-2005, 07:29 PM
When I was 10, I started drinking. What ever happened to raiding your parents liquor cabinet?

tbach24
07-13-2005, 07:30 PM
In my first retard school we had a TV room where there was often no staff and there were sections of the room that couldn't be seen so people did it to eachother.

Edit- I don't mean hanging themselves, but choking eachother.

Voltron87
07-13-2005, 07:34 PM
thats an interesting image... a bunch of stoned retarded kids choking each other.

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I heard some kid got caught doing this in our HS bathroom once. People also huff keyboard duster, which can also kill you. I really don't understand how stupid kids can be. When I was in HS and MS I never thought about trying this [censored]. Idiots, I tell you.

Which brings me to my next point: Don't.. smoke.. crack.

Voltron87
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I heard some kid got caught doing this in our HS bathroom once. People also huff keyboard duster, which can also kill you. I really don't understand how stupid kids can be. When I was in HS and MS I never thought about trying this [censored]. Idiots, I tell you.

Which brings me to my next point: Don't.. smoke.. crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

graduate from high school too

dtbog
07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in middle school (7-8 years ago), the school passed out a pamphlet to parents about this. No one knew any friends/enemies/lowlives that had done it, but it inspired a few people to try.

-dB

dtbog
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was 10, I started drinking. What ever happened to raiding your parents liquor cabinet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Have we "raised" our standards of what constitutes escape from reality?

-dB

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Please stop talking. You are a bum.

Voltron87
07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
uhhh, no, i graduated from high school

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Congrats, it's done wonders for your social skills..

James Boston
07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I seem to recall something from when I was about that age where you took several deep breaths, and then had someone do a Heimlich Maneuver-esque type thing. I never found it too appealing, and declined to participate.

cbfair
07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brain
07-13-2005, 10:17 PM
I remember someone dying from this in junior high. Not the most fun news to hear over the loudspeaker in algebra II.

RacersEdge
07-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I believe the lead singer form INXS died like this....at least that was the rumor...

Michael ??

Joshssj4
07-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Everyone at my camp was doing this around the age of 12. I had constantly attempted and failed. You would hyperventilate for a minute then lean against a wall, where a person would put pressure on your neck. It was stupid indeed, but with our maturity levels at the time we had no idea how idiotic or dangerous it was. The intentions were never to get "high", but rather to passout. (stupid) (the redundancy of the word stupid is an attempt to emphasize how stupid it was) On my only successful attempt I had mild hallucinations similar to the effects of being 2-3 hours into shrooms. It only lasts a couple seconds, but time becomes meaningless and it feels longer.

BottlesOf
07-13-2005, 11:05 PM
This is classic Darwinism.

-Skeme-
07-13-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a person would put pressure on your neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposed to put the pressure on the chest, no wonder you failed.

Joshssj4
07-13-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure preventing air and blood flow to the brain would reach the same results as having pressure on the chest, no?

eastbay
07-13-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this when I was a teenager, but man, we never used a frickin' noose! That's just ultra-stupid (not like the whole idea is a good one.)

All it is, is you hyperventilate a little and then press on the neck, restricting blood flow. The rapid oxygen change gives a very strange "high" not unlike going under for anaesthesia.

I think the only reason it was so dangerous in these deaths is because the idiots were alone and using a rope to provide the pressure, and passed out with their weight on it, effectively hanging themselves.

Not that I wouldn't flip if my kid was doing this at all. I'm sure it's not so good for the ole' brain in any case.

eastbay

stanky
07-13-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a person would put pressure on your neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposed to put the pressure on the chest, no wonder you failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing it done the way Josh describes, of course that was like 15 years ago.

Redeye
07-13-2005, 11:26 PM
When I was in junior high I remember being able to do something like this, although it wasn't choking each other. If you bend over at the waist and hyperventilate then when you standup if someone pushes up under your rib cage you can induce a faint. It was pretty stupid, but so is being 12-13.

stanky
07-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Wow, this is what happens when you take cigarettes away from children. When I was in middle school I use to just take a drag off of my friends cigarette when I wanted to get a buzz. Of course not everyone had a friend who's mom would by him cigarettes in 8th grade. What a stupid btch

ddubois
07-14-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in HS and MS I never thought about trying this

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. I binged on alchohol plenty when I was 16-20, but I cannot fathom intentionally cutting off oxygen to get high, whether it be by choking, huffing, whatever. Smoking cigarettes takes years to kill you, I can understand how someone could dissassociate enough to start. But cutting off your oxygen? That can kill you in minutes. How can kids be this stupid?

tbach24
07-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Another thing from that retard school, we had a kid who would choke himself like every 5 minutes. He wouldn't do it to get high or anything, he just needed to do it. Probably the stragnest thing ever. He had a huge head so of course everyone teased him that he was supporting it with his hand.

fsuplayer
07-14-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I was in HS and MS I never thought about trying this

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. I binged on alchohol plenty when I was 16-20, but I cannot fathom intentionally cutting off oxygen to get high, whether it be by choking, huffing, whatever. Smoking cigarettes takes years to kill you, I can understand how someone could dissassociate enough to start. But cutting off your oxygen? That can kill you in minutes. How can kids be this stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]