PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security: What a Joke!

Mark Heide
02-12-2003, 03:40 AM
I had a good laugh today. When I heard that the government recommended buying duct tape and plastic sheets to protect ourselves from chemical and biological warfare. Are they serious???? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Rick Nebiolo
02-12-2003, 04:40 AM
I'm not an expert but this might have more value protecting against nuclear or atomic fallout and that subject is just too scary for the government to mention. Let's say a "small" a-bomb gets snuck into an American city and is set off by terroists. Most in the suburbs would survive the blast but exposure to fallout is a serious concern. Most of that fallout is in the forum of dust. Duct tape and plastic would be a big help here.

I'd hate to handicap this one but I wouldn't bet against it.

Regards,

Rick

John Cole
02-12-2003, 06:11 AM
I just couldn't get Red Green, master of duct tape, out of my mind: "Remember, guys, if they don't find you handsome, they can still find you handy."

John

MMMMMM
02-12-2003, 09:57 AM
If a crop-dusting plane dispersed biological or chemical toxins over your area, wouldn't it make sense to seal your windows and doors well around the edges?

Zeno
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Tape, plastic application etc may help in slowing down the breathing in of dust or other particles that are potentially radioactive (internal exposure). This would help in the case of alpha radiation most but much less so or not at all for external exposure to gamma, beta, or x-ray type radiation. And means nothing to the mother of all radioactivity - Neutrons.

It is a bit of a joke but it makes people feel less helpless. That there is something, however small, that can be done. Hence, it is a morale booster to some people.

-Zeno

brad
02-12-2003, 04:05 PM
it is a joke but in places like israel it is serious becuase they can be bombarded with chemical weapons even low tech ones like blistering agents, in which case having a 'safe room' which is airtight and sealed can be very important.

MMMMMM
02-12-2003, 05:10 PM
And what about anthrax spores?

MMMMMM
02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Now carry this over to the US since we can't rule out similar domestic attacks by private planes or maybe even by unmanned drones.

brad
02-12-2003, 05:53 PM
yes but in israel citizens are issues protective gear and i assume are instructed on how to 'seal' a room in their house and stuff.

this is different from saying 'buy duct tape'. also on tv i saw some official with saran wrap (heh) , not the heavy duty plastic like you put down in landscaping under gravel.

Jimbo
02-12-2003, 06:39 PM
brad wrote ". also on tv i saw some official with saran wrap (heh)..." Are you sure you didn't see that on the "Fetish" channel brad? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

brad
02-12-2003, 06:42 PM
it might have been joe millionaire, or 'making of joe millionaire'. heh

Mark Heide
02-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Brad,

There's an article in this weeks Middle East Times called The Artifical War Begins. It states that the Isrealis are supplied by their government with gas masks and chemical suits. Here's a link to the paper, just look for the article or click on the cartoon in the left hand corner:

http://metimes.com/2K3/issue2003-6/methaus.htm

I want to buy a gas mask and clothing to protect myself from lunatics, so does anyone know where I can buy this stuff?

Mark

brad
02-12-2003, 06:52 PM
i read the gas masks you can buy at army/navy surplus stores can be like totally ineffective so buyer beware.

call up your local police department. with the police being so militarized nowadays just ask where they get theirs (like the swat team.)

also if youre a worry wart check into potassium iodate in case of dirty bomb (think i spelled it right). i saw on news last night they sell it at army/navy surplus stores.

also on cspan gary hart (representing council on foreign relations) said that cleveland, dallas, and denver will be hit so depending on your viewpoint if you dont live in those cities you might feel safe.

IrishHand
02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Why waste time and money on all those ineffective solutions? Clearly, with the terror threat being so high - as Fox news reminds us 24/7 with their lovely banner - the only solution is to build underground shelters and take up residence immediately - you never know when or where the evildoers will strike with their countless deadly weapons. Listen to the radio regularly and wait for the government to tell you it's safe to live normally again.

brad
02-12-2003, 07:22 PM
im seriously considering buying a bullhorn like at radio shack or something and when it gets to homeland security level red walking around downtown (theres like literally 10 downtowns where i live in the valley to choose from) and shouting via bullhorn

'red alert, red alert, red alert, read alert ...'

MMMMMM
02-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Try doing a search on eBay for "gas mask" (802 listings)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&Sor tProperty=MetaEndSort&query=gas+mask

Rick Nebiolo
02-12-2003, 08:21 PM