PDA

View Full Version : 8 players, lvl4, KQ on the button. Is this really a push?

suited_ace
07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t645)
CO (t1350)
Hero (t660)
SB (t1075)
BB (t945)
UTG (t1910)
UTG+1 (t680)
MP1 (t735)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

I wasn't too sure about this, so I mucked. I thought that 8 handed this wasn't a good idea. ICM says it's a clear push, but I'm asking myself if this isn't a situation where ICM fails to consider the value of survival.

I'm not getting called very often here, but when I am, I'm probably against Ax, 66+, so I'm probably going for a coinflip in the long run.

If the blinds fold, I'm still in more or less the same situation in the tournament: bottom 3 players. Doubling up in this spot doesn't guarantee much either, as I'm still far away from being ITM.

What I want to know is why ICM shows this as a very easy push, and if you agree with my fold here.

This is a $22, FWIW.

lastchance
07-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Your fold is bad. It's insane. It's really, really bad. This is the easiest push in the world, and it's not close.

Your FE is very high, you've only got 7x BB, and you've got KQo. How can you not push?

tminus
07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
wait, does that say "7 folds"?

id push this faster than one of those orange sherbert ice cream treats that had the swirly cardboard cover tube with the plastic handle that i ate when i was a kid

...if not fold

The Yugoslavian
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Being 8 handed it's even more important to push from LP with good hands...

Do it.

Yugoslav

kamrann
07-07-2005, 07:08 PM
ICM says it's a clear push because it's most definitely +ve chip EV - you'll win the blinds a lot and won't generally be in bad shape when called - and at this stage of the tournament, with a small stack nowhere near the bubble, immediate survival isn't such a huge concern, you need to get some chips. You cannot underestimate the value of stealing the blinds. You may not feel like it will change your position in the tournament, but there will come a point where your stack gets low enough relative to the blinds that you have to push before they next hit you. If you steal one set of blinds now, you buy yourself an extra round in which to find a hand to double up on, and this can make all the difference.

suited_ace
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
I have 7BB, my FE is very high and I have KQo. If I push and they fold, I have 8.5BB. If I push and get called, I'm probably going for a coinflip that might put me in a more comfortable position or out of the tournament.

Most of the time the blinds will fold, but does that 1.5BB (that represents less than 2% of the chips in play) really affect my $EV?

What I'm trying to understand is how this individual push relates to the rest of my tournament.

suited_ace
07-07-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

lastchance
07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
T150 matters a HELLUVA lot. Picking up t150 is our entire strategy here. Going from 6.5 BB to 8 BB is that important.

This individual push allows you to pick up chips, allows you to be patient later. It saves you another round down the road.

flyingmoose
07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because 8-handed you probably won't get a better spot. You may not get another spot to open push until the blinds go up and you have less FE, and are doing it from a worse position with a worse hand.

The Yugoslavian
07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

B/c you will need chips to survive more orbits and outlast ppl or double up. I mean, if you fold here, you're basically hoping to get a very big hand very soon or let the blinds assr@pe you the next time around (as there is a decent chance they'll be higher by then)....not only that, but this is a good push anyway.

Yugoslav

zipppy
07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because 8-handed you probably won't get a better spot. You may not get another spot to open push until the blinds go up and you have less FE, and are doing it from a worse position with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How low should one's pushing range go in this spot?

lastchance
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
6.5 BB folded to you on the button?

A helluva lot worse than KQ. I think about pushing K7, though I might be weak-tight and fold, though I doubt it.

Any pair, any ace, a bunch of kings, a few queens, and some extra suited hands.