PDA

View Full Version : WSOP F-Bomb Rule

slickpoppa
06-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know if the no F-Bomb rule at the WSOP has actually been enforced?

James Lang
06-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I have heard that it has been enforced this year. I think the player has to sit out 10 minutes. They had this rule at the wsop circuit too.

lonn19
06-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Yea, I heard they enforced this rule in a tourney last week. The penalty is sitting out for ten minutes. I think this rule is absolutely ridiculous.

luvrhino
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Is there a "Seven Words You Can't Say at the WSoP" list somewhere? All i could find is Rule 38, which says (http://www.worldseriesofpoker.com/rules.asp):

[ QUOTE ]
"Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of abuse, disruptive behavior, or similar incidents. All penalties will be issued in Harrah’s sole discretion."

[/ QUOTE ]
So i'm guessing this is a "I know it when i hear it" kind of deal?

I'm curious to know how creative i need to be in my profanity.

TheMainEvent
06-28-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this rule is absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I really don't have any sympathy for someone with such a lack of self-control that they can't avoid being penalized though.

BAK
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
I was told that they were enforcing it at the satellites as well as the tourneys and that one guy was blinded out of his sat during his 10 minute time out. But it could have been just an urban legend going around the satellite tables.

sekrah
06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I really don't have any sympathy for someone with such a lack of self-control that they can't avoid being penalized though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with you.. I don't feel bad for a guy who gets slapped with that penalty.

MicroBob
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
My main problem with the rule is that I won't be sure when to try to call someone on it.
Otherwise, I have no problem with the rule itself.

some dealer may let a guy 'get away with it' and I'll have to decide if I want to try to get him out for 10 minutes.
If a guy does that then he's probably tilting a little and I might want to keep him at the table.
But I'm guessing that if I try to get it enforced on him then when he returns he will be tilting even worse.

In most situations, I think I will be happily notifying the floor ANY time someone drops an f-bomb.
Since I've never been to the WSOP before this is all subject to change based on my impression of the situation.

WLVRYN
06-28-2005, 03:43 PM
There was a post here a week or two ago about Hellmouth getting busted with the rule and having to sit out. I'm too lazy to search for it though.

LesJ
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Prior to Event #2 a couple of weeks ago, they announced before the start of play that the "F-Bomb" was not allowed to be uttered. They mentioned that word specifically,but did not elaborate whether other vulgarities were allowed. Two points on this . . .
Phil Hellmuth wasn't there at the start of play, so he once again may have been unaware of the rule.
Secondly - I don't think I violated the rule until I was knocked out, thus making any "penalty" meaningless. (btw - I believe I said it more under my breath than anything, so I am quite sure I didn't disturb anyone else with my disgust)
Les

hockey1
06-28-2005, 04:30 PM
This f-bomb rule was maybe the only instruction the dealer gave us before the tourney started.

jedi
06-28-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, the problem isn't the "F-word," it's the auto penalty associated with it, whereas there's no auto penalty for other "non-dirty words" used in berating someone, whether it be dealer or another player. If someone launches a quick 10 second tirade about the dealer's mother, but avoids using the F-word, chances are that he won't be penalized.

But if a player uses the F-word in an unantagonizing way, like "I'm so F-ing stupid," he'll get the penalty automatically.

Timer
06-28-2005, 04:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned disallowing profanity is one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made. There are endless reasons for this, but I'll just discuss a couple.

1. It makes for GREAT television. ESPN loves to bleep out all of the obscenity.

2. It's natural. When you play poker people swear. Get over it. Nobody cares. When you go to a movie do you expect all of the expletives to be bleeped out?

3. It's arbitrary. It's not uniformily enforced. There is a way around this, though. Treat it the same way you would treat a string bet. In other words, it's none of the dealers goddamn business. The dealer can't call a string bet and he can't call someone out for swearing--the other players have to do it.

5. What about c.ocksucker? Is that allowed? Or is it just f.uck that gets a penalty?

Get rid of this rule and all rules like it. Trying to put a pretty face on poker is like putting makeup on a pig.

What a hypocritical nightmare.

Scooterdoo
06-28-2005, 04:46 PM
It depends on the dealer and the players. Certainly any player can call another player on it and if any other player or the dealer heard it then it's a 10 minute penalty. At friendly tables when someone says the f-bomb nobody seems to care. When things get more serious, or if you have a 'by-the-book' dealer it absolutely is enforced.

The no cell phone rule is enforced 100% of the time. If you use your cell phone at any time during a hand, then the hand is automatically dead. No questions asked.

lonn19
06-28-2005, 04:52 PM
These are adults, not children. I don't know how you people can justify penalizing someone for saying a word!

SomethingClever
06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Hahah... this is kinda funny.

So, in theory, when a guy puts a beat on you, you can scream across the table, "I will rape your mother's skull!" and not be penalized.

MicroBob
06-28-2005, 06:54 PM
So if we all just sat there screaming "F'ck! F'ck! F'ck!! F'ck!" over and over and over you would think this should be okay?

It's a 10-minute penalty for crying out loud (which isn't that much really).
This is the biggest poker event in the world.

These are grown-ups and I find no reason why they shouldn't be able to act like grown-ups.
Honestly, how hard is it to keep from saying a simple word?
Why is it so terrible to expect the players to follow a realistic set of guidelines?

Why do people think this is such a bad rule? Can you guys really not control yourself from dropping f-bomb's everytime a flush-draw hits?

slickpoppa
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if we all just sat there screaming "F'ck! F'ck! F'ck!! F'ck!" over and over and over you would think this should be okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would obviously be intentional abuse. We are all talking about someone getting penalized for 1 F-bomb.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a 10-minute penalty for crying out loud (which isn't that much really).
This is the biggest poker event in the world.

These are grown-ups and I find no reason why they shouldn't be able to act like grown-ups.
Honestly, how hard is it to keep from saying a simple word?
Why is it so terrible to expect the players to follow a realistic set of guidelines?

Why do people think this is such a bad rule? Can you guys really not control yourself from dropping f-bomb's everytime a flush-draw hits?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the rule because I think that the winner should be decided on the poker table, not because of a technicality. It is not that hard to let an f-bomb slip in the heat of the moment when you have been sitting at a table for 12 hours and millions of dollars are on the line. Early in the tournament 10 minutes don't mean much, but once the stacks get short, it can make a big difference.

The fact that everyone is an adult is a reason why the rule is stupid. Everyone knows the word and has heard it a thousand times before. And the broadcats is taped, so it is easy to bleep out any profanities.

billyb
06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
i would say that if you lack the self control to stop you from droping the F-bomb then maybe you shouldn't be playing poker.

peace
billyb
6 more days

TM1212
06-29-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hahah... this is kinda funny.

So, in theory, when a guy puts a beat on you, you can scream across the table, "I will rape your mother's skull!" and not be penalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

By far the funniest thing I have read all day!

And that rules really d*arn Gay. I mean What the d*arn. Whats so wrong With a d*arn word. They cant air there little d*arn program. They should just Shut the d*arn up with dumb d*arn rules like this I mean when did a word start d*arn hurting people.

Once I am eliminated I will parade up and down the tables screening the word at the top of my lungs, till I am throw down and lead out by security. I D*ARN HATE CENSORESHIP, it just call more attention to such a word.

AcesUp
06-29-2005, 08:05 PM
They are definitely enforcing the rule this year. I witnessed two people (over several weeks) get penalized for it, both times of which were pretty flagrant.

On the other hand, there was a guy at my table who, after the tournament director announced the rule, said something along the lines of "You can't f***ing say f***?" right in front of the dealer and another floor person, and nobody said anything.

So, apparently it is at the discretion of those involved...

-Aces

StickyWicket
06-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Good times, TM1212...ROFLMAO.

Being a woman, I have had a player ask for me to be penalized for telling him to suck my left tit....

Then the rest of the table told him to shut up because they thought it was funny.

Should I have been sat out? Quite possibly yes. But the other guy was a dick and I was tired of the "go home and breastfeed someone"-related comments. And HE wanted ME to be sat out...niiiiiiiiiiice!

It's an arbitrary rule, and vulgar to one isn't vulgar to another. Good luck to the dealers and the floormen at the ME...perhaps you should all start a pool as to who busts the most people with the f-bomb and assign bonus points to random "obscene" phrases. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sticky /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Quaalude
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
The rule is retarded. And the swear filter on this board is retarded, too. It's a bunch of puritanical nonsense. By banning words, one only gives them more power. There is no legitimate reason to ban this, or any other word, other than, "My mommmy told me it was bad, so I guess it must be." Utter nonsense. It's the behavior and attitude behind the words that should be the issue, not the specific words themselves.

-Travas