PDA

View Full Version : 2 Monitor Setup Problems

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I just got my 2nd 2001fp in the mail today, so I am tryign to set it up. Here is my problem.
I have 3 slot for monitors on my computer (2 blue, 1 white). I know that one of them works perfectly(a blue one). I plug it in, the screen goes blank and starts up when I turn my computer on.
The other blue coord doesn't do this however. It goes black like the other screen when turned off (indicating that it should work) but when I turn it on, it stays like that.
When i plug in the white coord, The screen pops up with a self test, which indicates that it isn't plugged it.
I know all 3 of them should work, and I am gettign frustrated trying to get just 1 of the 2 to work.

Help?

NateDog
06-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Right click on the desktop of the visible monitor, hit properties. Settings tab, check the box that says "extend desktop" or something like that.

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Hm, don't see it. Only see Color, resolution, troubleshoot, and advanced. I don't see anythign specific under advanced, either.

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I think my problem is that it should be giving me two display options, but it is only giving me one. ??????

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 06:23 PM
I have been troubleshooting for a little while, and I don't think the system can even detect the 2nd monitor(???). Cures? Any help? Er.

NateDog
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
What type of video card? Sounds like it should support multi-monitors (by the # of outputs), but can't be sure. Are your drivers up to date (eg. have you re-installed windows since purchase)?

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
I really don't think that's the problem. Because, I can run both monitors fine from one blue slot, but the others don't seem to cooperate as much. ???

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 07:27 PM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400, and yes it does support multiple monitors

byronkincaid
06-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Silly thing but it took me 2 or 3 hours to work out that you have to press the button on the left on the moniter to tell it where the signal is coming from. You're probably not as thick as me tho.

TheTimeIsUp
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Silly thing but it took me 2 or 3 hours to work out that you have to press the button on the left on the moniter to tell it where the signal is coming from. You're probably not as thick as me tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what button you are talking about? The dif. display buttons?

P.S. - Drsperate for any advice.

Caveman
06-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Is the blue port that is working next to the white port? When using the white port are you changing the input on the monitor to DVI-D with the button on front of the monitor?

TheTimeIsUp
06-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Yes, the blue port that is working is next to the white port.

I did not have this setting on, thank you.
However, It still isn't recognizing the 2nd monitor??

TheTimeIsUp
06-26-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm on the 2nd monitor right now (switched blue and white cable around) and it has the same exact settings. The white port looks like it should work, but it doesnt!

Craving help!!

Caveman
06-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Ignore the blue port that doesn't work. It is probably tied to your mainboard as integrated video which you would only want to use as a last resort.

Instead of trying two monitors first verify that you can get one monitor to work connected to the white DVI port.

If you have trouble getting this to work post here what is happenning. When you think it should be working what color are the lights on the front of your monitor? The one you are interested in is the one on the right that changes to orange when the monitor is asleep.

Once you can get this working add the 2nd monitor by connecting to the blue port. When you first start up one of the monitors will remain on a black screen until you change a setting in your video display properties to extend your desktop to the 2nd monitor.

TheTimeIsUp
06-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Alright. I took your advice and started the white port up alone. I was surprised that it worked perfectly all the way up to the loading Windows screen. After that, I got a blue screen that says as follows:

"A problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vedor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then selec Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF8BCA254, 0xFBC9F54)"

TheTimeIsUp
06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I was advised a new video card would most likely cure this. Correct?

Caveman
06-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Did you try to restart the machine without changing any connections? If so did the same message come up?

Go to the nvidia.com web site and download the latest drivers, then install the file. Try connecting it again and see if it does the same thing.

As for the blue error screen it looks like a video card memory conflict popped up. Hopefully the driver update will fix the problem, some nvidia drivers have been known to have issues with the 2001FP in the past.

If you still have problems after the driver update post back some information on your computer. Brand and model number of the computer if it is from a major manufacturer. If you built it or had it built post the motherboard maker and model number if you know what it is.

MtnDave
06-27-2005, 12:05 AM
With Nvidia, you need to make sure nView is installed in order to use multiple monitors.
Go to Start - Settings - Control panel and see if you have an entry for NVIDIA nVeiw desktop manager (on XP).
If not, go to the Nvidia web site and download the latest software.
Also, on my multi-headed system, when I right-click on the desktop, I see entries for: NVIDIA display >, nView properties, and NVKeystone >. If you don't see these (at least the first two), you are missing some software.