PDA

View Full Version : Stock Of The Day

James Boston
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
How about this:

This forum gets very little traffic compared to the others, and much of the traffic is newbie questions (which is perfectly fine). Let's start posting a stock of the day. Post " (ticker symbol) SOTD." It could be interesting to hear some random discussion on random picks. Or am I drunk and experiencing a bad idea?

RunDownHouse
06-23-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or am I drunk and experiencing a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess for day traders its ok. But didn't they die out with the bubble?

James Boston
06-23-2005, 10:54 PM
I think you misunderstood me, or I probably didn't make my point clear. I wasn't suggesting we pick a "hot stock," and weigh the pros and cons of buying it immediately to sell next week. I think the forum consensus is that value investing is the way to go. Why not discuss good ideas there on a daily basis. I know "Stock Of The Day" implies a day-trading approach...I was just suggesting a new discussion on a daily basis.

natedogg
06-24-2005, 01:08 AM
I like it. I recommend Pfizer, now that they have the right to seize anyone's property anywhere at any time for any reason. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

natedogg

Redd
06-24-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm a micro/SS poster and long time lurker of this forum, since I don't really have much to add compared to the financial gurus. But IMO this would be a great idea to attract attention here. It's almost the stock-market equivalent to a hand discussion.

JTrout
06-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Pfizer (http://www.valueline.com/dow30/f7040.pdf)

Highlights:
Financial Strength A++
Price Stability 90
Earnings Predictability 100

Safety 1 (highest)

3-5 yr. projections: $45 - $55.

My (elementary) analysis:

This stock was grossly overpriced from 1997-2000 and has overcorrected.
Now selling at close to book value, at a PE of 13, it is a very good value.
The company has been aggressively buying it's own stock.
Although it has suffered through problems in the last couple years, it is still financially strong, has a solid ROE, and
is poised for strong price gains when any good news comes down the pipe.

Buy it up.

(in order not to hijack James' thread, I put Pfizer in its' own thread. )

I think James' idea is a very good one.

player24
06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Perhaps we can even get this forum moved out of the "General Gambling" section.

adios
06-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I like this idea with the caveat for all discussion on individual companies being that it less risky to view one particular stock as a portion of a larger portfolio of stocks. Also FWIW R-Squared and beta are always key metrics. Computing R-Squared is easy enough but does anyone have a source where I could just see the numbers without calculating them?

player24
06-24-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or am I drunk and experiencing a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess for day traders its ok. But didn't they die out with the bubble?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, some of us traders survived. For example:
http://www.wohnzimmerprovider.de/studio.jpg

James Boston
06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with the caveat for all discussion on individual companies being that it less risky to view one particular stock as a portion of a larger portfolio of stocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of thought this would be understood, and yes I agree.