PDA

View Full Version : They're comming to get you Barbra.

wacki
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Only a few more hours left. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/landofthedead/)

can't.... wait.....

Whiskeytown, Blarg, I know you are with me on this one.

Blarg
06-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I hope this is good.

Dennis Hopper in it has got to be good for some fun.

I'd love to see some Christopher Walken-type interchanges with a zombie, too. "You...are gonna eat...WHOSE face?"

Alobar
06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I too am there

wacki
06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
BUT, what they got away with, gore-wise, was absolutely incredible. My buddy and I were laughing with glee through the entire flick at all of the violence. Let me put all doubts to rest: This IS a George A Romero zombie film. This is NOT a rip-off...it's the real deal. Head shots, decapitations, zombie biting people with the typical fleshy ripping...intestines...the works. I was SHOCKED at the amount of gore they managed to get into the film. I spoke with the Production Manager after wards, and he assured me that the gore in the film is NOTHING compared to what's going to be on the DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418819/usercomments?start=0

good lord....

sleight
06-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Praise undead Jesus!

pryor15
06-24-2005, 01:20 AM
being part of the pittsburgh film community (such as it is), i actually got an invite to the pgh premeire, but it was more BB's than i wanted to spend on watching a zombie movie and pretending i was cool. but, from what i hear, it was pretty cool and a bunch of celebrity types were there

Blarg
06-24-2005, 01:28 AM
The gore in Romero movies is actually hard for me to take. I like the scare more than the gross, and he can be pretty ingenious. I think it may be just as hard for me to stomach a Romero movie as it ever was, even though I'm more used to the gore now than I was when Dawn of the Dead came out.

whiskeytown
06-24-2005, 01:41 AM
I go to bed at 8am and usually go back to work at 7pm -

if I do what I did yesterday and last week, and wake up at noon or 1pm, I'm gonna catch an afternoon showing before going to work -

It'll be the first one I've actually seen in the theater, not counting the DOTD remake -

RB

wacki
06-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Ok day of the dead I can see how you had a problem.

But did you have problems with Dawn, Night, and the recent remake?

Blarg
06-24-2005, 01:50 AM
I saw Night when I was a little kid, so that definitely grossed me out. I saw it again when I was older and it wasn't so bad. Then I saw the one in the shopping center -- Dawn? -- and that was pretty stomach turning.

Aside from that I saw the remake in the shopping center and wasn't grossed out. I saw that a bunch of times, even bought it, and really liked it. Same with 28 Days Later.

Romero seems to specialize in slapping guts all over the camera lens though, really revels in extending it on and on unlike those other movies. I don't usually get grossed out, but Romero can do it to me sometimes.

wacki
06-24-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then I saw the one in the shopping center -- Dawn? -- and that was pretty stomach turning.

[/ QUOTE ]

What parts really bothered you?

Blarg
06-24-2005, 02:41 AM
In the old one? Probably the ones with the guts. I think there was one that was kind of over the top cruel, too, where someone was being pulled apart. Hard to remember though; its been forever since I saw it.

jakethebake
06-24-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
being part of the pittsburgh film community

[/ QUOTE ]

there was one?

pryor15
06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
being part of the pittsburgh film community

[/ QUOTE ]

there was one?

[/ QUOTE ]

sort of. it's uber-indie, but we surface at festivals from time to time.

oreogod
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
The only thing that is going to suck about this movie, and its a pretty small thing in my book, is some of the gore they did censor out. It will be on the DVD, but in the theatre release, what they didnt do was CUT the gore scenes out (the extreme ones), they had zombie actors walk in front of green screen and basically copyied those actors walking in front of the gore scenes at a "timely" moment.

Seriously though, Im so hoping this movie is good.

oreogod
06-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Also, am i the only one who didnt like Day that much?

I love Night, Dawn and I actually thought the remake was pretty good in itself.

wacki
06-24-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, am i the only one who didnt like Day that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Day was my least favorite of the bunch. It was a bit too cheesy. The mad scientist was a way too mad. The General, major, or whatever was a bit too controling. Then again they could of all of been suffering from cabin fever which is very likely. Come to think of it, I've seen crazier behavior in real life under much less stressful conditions.

Go figure.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Just wondering where the topic name came from?

I love Shaun of the Dead and I'm pretty sure somebody in it says "WE'RE COMING TO GET YOU BARBARA" and it'd be nice to know if this was a reference to some older horror film.

wacki
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering where the topic name came from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on link in OP.

Blarg
06-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Which itself is a call-back to the opening scene of Night of the Living Dead, where a guy is telling his little sister that this guy staggering around is "coming to get you." Turns out -- he really was!

wacki
06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which itself is a call-back to the opening scene of Night of the Living Dead, where a guy is telling his little sister that this guy staggering around is "coming to get you." Turns out -- he really was!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen the original. Only the one with the hot redhead. I must go out and get it....

Blarg
06-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah it's got good mixed with bad, but some parts were really kind of genius, like the swinging lamp in the basement that has been ripped off so many times since(you'll even see it in the Simpsons) and the very transgressive business with the little girl and her mother.

Plus there's something ingenious about having such a resonant primal situation in the first place -- little house, small group of people against overwhelming odds and ceaseless horror. It's kind of like the suburbs.