PDA

View Full Version : buying a pool table

schwza
06-22-2005, 11:55 AM
i'm considering getting a used pool table for my new apartment. slate is the normal/good surface, right? also, it looks like they're mostly between 7 and 9 feet. i assume the 9 is the most standard? anything else i should know about how to judge quality?

asofel
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm considering getting a used pool table for my new apartment. slate is the normal/good surface, right? also, it looks like they're mostly between 7 and 9 feet. i assume the 9 is the most standard? anything else i should know about how to judge quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is a full, pro sized table. Get simonis cloth, and go with a good name, like brunswick.

VBM
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
mmm, i have a pool table but i honestly don't know a whole lot about judging the relative quality of them. I would say, "plan your space (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/roomchart.php)" b/c they take up more than i thought anyways.

asofel
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mmm, i have a pool table but i honestly don't know a whole lot about judging the relative quality of them. I would say, "plan your space (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/roomchart.php)" b/c they take up more than i thought anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. a 9 foot will need a lot of room. you'll want at least 3 feet or so around it, requiring a space at least around 16x12 or so...think everything out beforehand and ask lots of questions if you're not sure...

swede123
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
You definitely want more than 3 feet around it if you play regularly. My family had a nice pool table but it was too crowded, with about 3 feet to a wall on one side. When the ball is right up against the edge and you only have three feet it kinda sucks. I'd say five feet clearance so you would be comfortable.

Swede

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You definitely want more than 3 feet around it if you play regularly. My family had a nice pool table but it was too crowded, with about 3 feet to a wall on one side. When the ball is right up against the edge and you only have three feet it kinda sucks. I'd say five feet clearance so you would be comfortable.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to the punch, Swede. Standard cue length is 58".

asofel
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
5 would definitely be better, 3 would be the smallest required i would guess. the more the better.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. a 9 foot will need a lot of room. you'll want at least 3 feet or so around it, requiring a space at least around 16x12 or so...think everything out beforehand and ask lots of questions if you're not sure...

[/ QUOTE ]
You just quoted a passage with a link that says you need a 14'x18' room for a 9' table, implied that its recommendations matched your own 'expert' opinion, and then you went and suggested that you only need 12'x16'. WTF?

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
How much are you willing to spend?
How much space do you have?
What floor is your apartment on?
Does your lease (or the strength of the floor) allow you to to have a 600-2000 lb. piece of furniture?

asofel
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You just quoted a passage with a link that says you need a 14'x18' room for a 9' table, implied that its recommendations matched your own 'expert' opinion, and then you went and suggested that you only need 12'x16'. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't see that link, my quick estimate is on the tight side and 5 feet would of course be much better, and never did i state anything about opinion being 'expect', so i'm not sure what your problem is...

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see a link, my quick estimate is on the tight side and 5 feet would of course be much better, and never did i state anything about opinion being 'expect', so i'm not sure what your problem is...

[/ QUOTE ]

space (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/roomchart.php)

pwned

VBM
06-22-2005, 01:17 PM
not to railroad this again, but that's a pretty darned big room. i think most ppl get 8' tables in their homes b/c they're less expensive, but mostly because the room requirements are so large.

And, if you buy the sales-speak, an 8' table plays much the same as a 9' in terms of angles, English & such.

asofel
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see a link, my quick estimate is on the tight side and 5 feet would of course be much better, and never did i state anything about opinion being 'expect', so i'm not sure what your problem is...

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned

[/ QUOTE ]

yea man, you pwned me hardcore. complete and massive pwnage.

stfu.

schwza
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much are you willing to spend?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really sure. just now getting into the market. probably around $700 or so.

[ QUOTE ]

How much space do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

enough for a 9' table if i wanted one. it's an unfinished basement with a lot of space.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

What floor is your apartment on?
Does your lease (or the strength of the floor) allow you to to have a 600-2000 lb. piece of furniture?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm renting a single-family home. good question on the lease - i'll make sure to check before i buy anything. i can't imagine the weight would cause any real problem in the basement.

Wes ManTooth
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahaha, you said "pwned", hahaha so funny nick....

you
http://www.capnwacky.com/rj/images/lj/not_funny_cert.jpg

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yea man, you pwned me hardcore. complete and massive pwnage. stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up, Francis.

I think there is a considerable difference between and 8 & a 9. Check out a pool hall that has both sizes and hit the same 3 rail shot around the table from the corner aiming at the second diamond. The difference may seem larger or smaller depending on rails, cloth, table conditions.

9 ft is regulation size and what the pros play on. I would rather go without than have an 8. If you are only knocking around the balls for fun & it doesn't matter to you, then go for the 8.

asofel
06-22-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea man, you pwned me hardcore. complete and massive pwnage. stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up, Francis.

I think there is a considerable difference between and 8 & a 9. Check out a pool hall that has both sizes and hit the same 3 rail shot around the table from the corner aiming at the second diamond. The difference may seem larger or smaller depending on rails, cloth, table conditions.

9 ft is regulation size and what the pros play on. I would rather go without than have an 8. If you are only knocking around the balls for fun & it doesn't matter to you, then go for the 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

its been a shitty morning and i'm not in the mood for "pwnings". i do agree with you that 8's and 9's are significantly different, and if you care about your game OP then go with the 9.

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not really sure. just now getting into the market. probably around $700 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is going to be your limiting factor. You'll have a tough time finding a good quality 9 ft. table for much less than $1200.

schwza
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(The 4' x 8' is by far the most popular size table for the home

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a decent chance i'm going to want to have this for 2 years and then sell it. do you think owning a 9 will make it harder to resell?

also, if you were shopping for a table, how would you judge its quality? just hit a few balls? what should i be looking for?

and what's the standard surface? thanks.

asofel
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(The 4' x 8' is by far the most popular size table for the home

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a decent chance i'm going to want to have this for 2 years and then sell it. do you think owning a 9 will make it harder to resell?

also, if you were shopping for a table, how would you judge its quality? just hit a few balls? what should i be looking for?

and what's the standard surface? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

standard surface is slate. one piece would be best, but 3 piece should be fine. going with a name brand should give you the quality and durability, simonis cloth is the best you can get (although the new brunswick centennial shoots almost as nice and is waterproof). You just want to make sure the felt is good, the rails are true, the name is reputable, and that you like the feel of playing on it. If its going to just be a party table, that waterproof cloth might be good.

I don't really know if selling a 9 would be that much harder than an 8. Probably not as easy, but I would think you would be able to find a buyer just fine. Others have experience with this?

Jersey Nick
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you think owning a 9 will make it harder to resell?

[/ QUOTE ]
No experience here, but I would guess it's always hard to sell a large, expensive piece of furniture.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Roll a ball slowly down each side of the table, lengthwise & widthwise. Watch what the ball does - does it hit a seam in the slate and jump? Does it roll off toward another side of the table? It probably won't be perfectly level, but you're looking for major defects. Do the rails make a consistent sound when the ball hits? If the ball jumps after it hits a rail, that's a sign of a bad cushion. The cushion should feel uniformly firm to the touch - same resistance to pressing on it gently - all the way around the table.
[ QUOTE ]
and what's the standard surface?

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually at least 1" slate. Most 9' tables have a 3 piece slate. This will have to come apart to bring it into your basement. Putting a pool table together isn't necessarily a job for an amateur. Someone else may want to address this.

VBM
06-22-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, if you are good enough to make this distinction, you should be prepared to spend more than 700. In the local dealership here, a new 9' Brunswick easily costs 7k+; so for something used you might be looking at something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21213&item=7164162 044&rd=1) (note that this table the rails need to be reglued and the table refelted)

Finally, if nothing else, GET IT PROFESSIONALLY ASSEMBLED. this will probably have as great, if not a greater, impact on your ability to enjoy the table as the table itself.