PDA

View Full Version : AA hitting set consecutively!

primate
06-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Iposted this originally in the small stakes forum and was advised to post here. Got a bit of attention there.

Party Poker $50nl ring game, full stacks. Played today just prior to posting.

Dealt pocket aces, poor sucker has KK and we're both all in preflop. I hit a set and scoop.

Very next hand guess what?

Pocket A's. This time another sucker raises in front of me. I reraise hoping that he thinks i'm making a move on him. He calls and we see a flop.

322 rainbow.

He checks and I bet 2/3rd pot. He goes all in and I call thinking I'm up against KK,QQ,JJ.

He turns over pocket 3's.. he has a set. But wait! salvation is found in the river which brings an ACE baby! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pay day! Pocket Aces dealt twice in a row, I hit the set both times and get fully paid off both times.

What are the odds? Any other similar stories?

LetYouDown
06-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Probability of having A-A before the flop 1/221.

Probability of hitting a board containing an A:

1 - (48 C 5/50 C 5) = .1918...%

So it seems like hitting a third of any any specific pair is .00086...%.

Squaring this for the odds of it happening twice in a row, you'd get about a:

.0000007535% shot

So, provided my math/approach isn't wrong here (which wouldn't surprise me)...looks like about a 1,327,152-to-1 shot. I'd wait for someone to verify/nullify this. Absolutely no logic/mathematics checking.

DrPublo
06-08-2005, 04:59 PM
You're not factoring in the specifics of the 2nd hand. There are fewer boards for set-over-set than there are for just consecutive sets. Moreover the board is also paired, meaning there's one less card for you and your opponent to make the set.

The Doc

LetYouDown
06-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I never claimed to be factoring in the opponents' holdings. I also think he's looking for a ballpark answer more than anything...but if I'm wrong on that assumption, I can try to grunt it out with inclusion/exclusion.

d10
06-08-2005, 07:35 PM
The fact that the board is paired shouldn't be factored in. If we wanted to factor everything in we could figure the chances of hitting a set with AA given the fact that you have AA and an A came on the flop. Obviously this is pointless.

Mike Cuneo
06-15-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He turns over pocket 3's.. he has a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he has a full house. Nice suckout.