PDA

View Full Version : limping headsup

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 05:24 PM
This is IMO a crucial play because it becomes a game of "guess what I have".
1 allows me to steal pots postflop fearing a monster
2. get pushes out of opponents who would not have called a push with the hand
3. Mixes up well with my 3XBB and pushes and puts an opponent to guessing if I have 65s or JJ-AA-AK-AQ
4. If opponent pushes I fold crap but its usually 50-50 with good to great hands.

jgunnip
06-07-2005, 05:57 PM
This flip side of this would be to push any two almost all the time.
1. Allows you to steal when your weak opponents don't have a hand.
2. Gets spite calls from an opponent when you have a monster.
3. Keeps things simple and the pressure on your opponent to call or fold and eliminates the fold your hand to his push when you raise scenario.
4. If your opponent calls your crap you can still be a luck box!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

luckyplayer
06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
What do you do with a hand that you would not call a push with? Do you limp then fold to the push? You are not going to get monsters often enough to justify the deceptive limp. And if you are limping a lot to create this deception, then you are probably missing out on lots of blinds that would easily be yours.

Apathy
06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
keep in mind he MUST be referring to the 10k chip structure. I still don't limp ever against MOST opponents.

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 06:39 PM
If I push any two I am just asking for luck to be the only factor

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I've done it with 10K but also level 6-7 with even stacks in the 33's. If your opponent is super timid then obviously you would never limp.

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Lets say you only do it with suited connectors (one gap-no gap,) (maybe a few other questionable hands)AK,AQ,AJ- sevens-aces. If the blinds are low enough and you know you can get enough hands in then this becomes viable. The alternate point is picking the right point to go all in against your opponents limp with any two. (People don't like to have the BB check when they have kings or aces)

Nick M
06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
When I played non turbos on Pokerstars I limped 90% of the time when we got HU. The blinds were small and the levels were long. But once I started playing in turbos and the blinds were so ridiculously high heads up I had to start pushing most hands.

Limping HU when there's a lot of play HU, is the right move if you feel you can outplay your opponent. You don't want to play big pots with them, you want to chip away.

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
You can chip away,limp reraise (or call the push dependent on raise). At the last two levels this is not viable because of the blinds but at 150-300, 200-400 its workable.

jgunnip
06-07-2005, 07:12 PM
In 8000 chip games at PP at least, If your opponent were to call every time you pushed then it would luck would simply decide the winner. But they don't and they give you enough chips that it's profitable to steal with any two (sometimes I'll fold just to give my opponent the chance to think that I actaully have some raising standards). I'm not saying you are wrong or that I am right, it's just a personal preference that has worked well for me. Since I multitable it makes my heads-up decisions easier and allows me to focus more on my other tables.

I feel that I could probably concentrate a little more heads up and maybe win 1st a few more times here and there, but I'm willing to give that slight edge up in favor putting more effort into my other tables.

elcheapo
06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
The difference between 1st and 2nd is 2 buyins and the difference between break even and a solid ROI. I think this part is severely overlooked at least for me and a 3/2 ratio would through heads up improvement would make a big difference