PDA

View Full Version : A few 2/4 hands

kapw7
06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I haven't played a lot of full ring games lately so I decided to play some 2/4 and try to improve my discipline and generally the "robotic" part you require in full ring. However I found some very weak tights there and I couldn't resist going back to my old tricks - only a few times.

Hand 1:

I was running cold here so I was something like 13/0 for 30+ hands. Maybe I can try to steal:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ?

Hand 2

Only as an example of the kind of weak tight player I am talking about:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 3.50 BB

I planned to raise him with any hand here. So he would think twice of trying to steal from me again. But I didn't expect him to fold.

Hand 3
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.
The guy has been agressive post flop. I would expect him to raise if he had the Jack

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds.

To be honest I didn't plan to C-R here. Until he bet. My read was that he doesnt have a J. He thought that I missed the flop and auto bet as PF raiser and the turn card did not help me so he tried to steal the pot.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

JustToast
06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Hand 1:
PF good, flop good. I'm tempted to fold the turn as you're getting 6:1 immediate and likely can't raise the river even if you hit your OESD since it's got flush and boat potential.

Hand 2:
Good by me.

Hand 3:
I dont like opening PF in MP with this in full ring -- I would limp it. Good read / play post flop based on your read. I assume you were dumping to a 3-bet.

McGahee
06-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Hand #1 - thanks for posting. If I were playing it I'd call without thinking twice. I need to slow down and figure out the odds - 6:1 isn't enough with 6 outs.

Hand #2 - usually I'll call the whole way.

Hand #3 - Shouldn't be your default line, but it's a play you have to make once in a while.

bighomage
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
On hand 2, is it all right to defend your blind here? I'm still trying to get a feel for blind defense.

McGahee
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On hand 2, is it all right to defend your blind here? I'm still trying to get a feel for blind defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Insert Vagina joke here)

Yes - K4s is goot in this spot.

Entity
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I call in #1. The preflop raise is pretty standard for me.

I call the flop in #2 as well. Sometimes I raise the turn, sometimes the river, and sometimes I call every street.

#3 I'll only do against a good player who is capable of folding a bit too easily. The only reason to check this turn, IMO, is to c/r though, and the only reason to c/r is to cover the times you're checking AK here. You also have to be checking JJ here occasionally against this sort of opponent though.

Rob

istewart
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Awesome avatar. Stared at it for like four minutes.

sholvar
06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome avatar. Stared at it for like four minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn. I did it, too...

jba
06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
hand 1: I'll see the river for 1 bet. doesn't look good though. the stop and go makes me think flush or boat is possible.

hand 2: neat.

hand 3: i'd bet the turn, and in your case check/call. wimpy huh.

kapw7
06-07-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I call in #1. The preflop raise is pretty standard for me.

I call the flop in #2 as well. Sometimes I raise the turn, sometimes the river, and sometimes I call every street.

#3 I'll only do against a good player who is capable of folding a bit too easily. The only reason to check this turn, IMO, is to c/r though, and the only reason to c/r is to cover the times you're checking AK here. You also have to be checking JJ here occasionally against this sort of opponent though.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1
I called. He was holding AA and this being party poker I rivered a queen. I could almost hear the guy smashing his mouse...

Hand 2
I would raise on a later street in a different game but here I was not too sure. These players seem to value raise with big hands rather than try to steal blinds. So i was afraid of AK, KQ etc. I'm still not sure of what the correct play is. Somewhere in TOP says that you need to make weak-tight players to bluff less and LAGs to bluff more. So I tried here to discourage him from trying to steal more in the future hands.

Hand 3
I would lie if I said that I was that great with reads. I need this to work less than 1 out of 3 times. In our table there was that guy with VPIP ~90 (!) and he was stealing pots ALL the time without ANY resistance. So if an idiot (at least in poker) can steal all these pots then why not me?