View Full Version : Chip leader- Bubble play

stillbr
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Party $33

Hero (t3630)
SB (t2050)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t955)

Everybody is obviously playing to 'get into the money'. Big blind is at t200.

One fold, I'm delt J6o in the dealer position and make it t600 to go. SB who is second in chips sits there for a little bit, then calls. BB folds.

2 to the flop with t1400.

SB bets out t600, I push all in /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

gasgod
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
<trumpet flourish> And the flop was ??

GG

stillbr
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
geeze I really screwed this one up. Sorry--too late to edit..so here is the hand again...

Party $33

Hero (t3630)
SB (t2050)
BB (t1365)
UTG (t955)

Everybody is obviously playing to 'get into the money'. Big blind is at t200.

One fold, I'm delt J6o in the dealer position and make it t600 to go. SB who is second in chips sits there for a little bit, then calls. BB folds.

2 to the flop with t1400.

9,8,8 rainbow

SB bets out t600, I push all in /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

gasgod
06-06-2005, 10:12 AM
SB's betting commits him to the pot, and if he's a decent player he knows it. His bet of t600 sounds like it wants a call, and wants to convey the false hope to you that you have some FE left.

Had you pushed preflop,you would probably pick up the blinds. J6o isn't good enough to give him a look at the flop.

JMHO

GG

stillbr
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I would think SB here would usually pust with KK-JJ, probably TT, maybe 99 aswell. Trap with AA. That leaves highcard hands, and other smaller pocket pairs. I dont think SB's bet leaves him pot commited with overs considering the others stacks. Remember these guys are just trying to escape into the money. So given his chances of big pair/big cards/boat/underpair, and his % of folding those overcards(very high I think) & % of folding thoes underpairs. Do you still feel its a bad push?

Even if I get called with overs or an underpair I have possibly up to 6 outs, and the backdoor straight to keep me alive.

gasgod
06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think SB here would usually pust with KK-JJ, probably TT, maybe 99 aswell. Trap with AA. That leaves highcard hands, and other smaller pocket pairs. I dont think SB's bet leaves him pot commited with overs considering the others stacks. Remember these guys are just trying to escape into the money. So given his chances of big pair/big cards/boat/underpair, and his % of folding those overcards(very high I think) & % of folding thoes underpairs. Do you still feel its a bad push?

Even if I get called with overs or an underpair I have possibly up to 6 outs, and the backdoor straight to keep me alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

As SB, I would probably call with AA-TT (maybe AK as well) in hopes of getting BB to tag along. Maybe I'm being too cute with these hands? With 99-66 I'd push and call with 55-22.

OTOH, with just overs, I'd likely call with AQ -AT, KQ, and fold the rest. It's true that if I call, BB will probably fold, but he could wake up with a hand.

Yes, I still think it's a bad push, but much depends on my read of SB. If he's a bit of a maniac, pushing is more attractive. If he's a rock, I'm gone.

BTW, this is the weakest part of my game, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

GG

Newt_Buggs
06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
not pushing preflop was a very bad choice

tigerite
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Agree 100%. UTG has folded, everyone will be waiting for him to hit the blind next hand, he's the small stack, you have them both covered, and they both have < 10 BB. Push it!

Karak567
06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Push pre-flop.

RobGW
06-06-2005, 02:59 PM
C'mon, do you really think he will call $600 PF, bet another $600 on the flop and then fold? Wishful thinking. But wait, I didn't notice all those outs you have. lol. If you are going to play this way then just push PF. SB and BB will both likely fold rather than risk busting on the bubble.

Mr_J
06-06-2005, 03:05 PM
He calls off 1/3rd of his stack and then bets another 1/3rd on the flop. I don't think you have anywhere near the amount of FE you need to make this move.

Pushing preflop is a much better idea. I know you have 10xbb, but if you are going to push/bet the flop, better to put in all your money preflop for maximum folding equity. So he knows that if he calls he's risking his tourney life. If he calls with a solid hand, then that's poker.

Shillx
06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Was the flop JJ5? /images/graemlins/smile.gif Good push.

I would either move in or fold preflop. Since they are trying to make the money, pushing probably is +EV compared to folding. If they will call you with 22+/AJ+, it is slightly better to push. It looks like moving in preflop is the way to go here.

Brad

stillbr
06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok, looks like everyone is saying push. I've just started playing SnG's recently after exclusivly being a 3-6 multi-tabler. FYI-- SB had 44 and sat around until the clock almost ran out, then finally called.