PDA

View Full Version : $55s- QQ Hand

Unarmed
06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Villain is decent, his reraise hand range is pretty narrow.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t850)
MP3 (t1090)
CO (t918)
Button (t905)
SB (t940)
BB (t2042)
Hero (t830)
UTG+1 (t1380)
MP1 (t1045)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t75.

Flop: (t475) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t350</font>

NYCNative
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
How narrow? Which of the below does he go with:

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AK
AQ

I'm assuming that there wouldn't even be anything worth considering, yes?

pokerlaw
06-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I think the check sets it up for him to make a continuation bet w AK (would he even play AQ this way?) and take it down. With that said, if his range is AK+, AQs+, 10s+, then you are way behind. Is that unrealistically tight given your read?

IMO, I feel this is either a check fold or a lead out with a 2/3rds bet.

45suited
06-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I had the exact same situation come up last night. I open raised 3XBB from the button with QQ, was mini-reraised from the BB. We each had around t1000 in level 3. My first thought was, "smells like aces or kings". I called. Flop came 9 high. BB checks...

I "knew" he had aces, but eventually went broke on the hand. He had aces. But it brought a philosophical question into my mind: Am I better off just going broke on a hand like this rather than trying to get fancy with my amateur reads?

I think the answer for me at least is even if I smell aces, I'm going broke on a 9 high flop with pocket queens in that situation. Them's the breaks, fire up another sng. I mean, with all the donks on the 11s and 22s, villain could've made this play with other hands (although I "knew" that this wasn't the case) that I'm beating. I'm not going to stop being aggressive. Is this the wrong way to think?

Unarmed
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the check sets it up for him to make a continuation bet w AK (would he even play AQ this way?) and take it down. With that said, if his range is AK+, AQs+, 10s+, then you are way behind. Is that unrealistically tight given your read?

IMO, I feel this is either a check fold or a lead out with a 2/3rds bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading for 2/3 pot and then folding leaves me with 300 behind, which seems pretty silly. I'm either check/folding or getting all my chips in, and if its the latter, C/Ring is better than betting as I get to eat AK's continuation bet. I check raised all-in, mostly because AK was statistically more likely than KK and AA combined, and I was ahead of any other hand that I could logically add to his range. (AQ and JJ)

I'd need a bulletproof read to fold this, which I didn't have. He had KK.