PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Pokerstars to run

Gigabet
05-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Just got a new laptop, and I am having a problem getting pokerstars to run. It opens but will not connect to the server. I disabled Norton, didn't work, any other ideas?

Gigabet

Bigwig
05-27-2005, 05:29 PM
How long have you been trying? It's possible they have a server down.

Gigabet
05-27-2005, 05:32 PM
server isn't down, desktop will connect.

rohjoh
05-27-2005, 05:33 PM
You using wireless laptop? I have issues with mine from time to time, but when I plug into my network, I never have these issues.

Rohjoh

Bigwig
05-27-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
server isn't down, desktop will connect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Well then, somebody who knows something about comps other than how to turn them on will have to help you.

durron597
05-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Windows XP service pack 2?

Try disabling the Windows Firewall.

Gigabet
05-27-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I do that?

Jman28
05-27-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just offer it $100k, gig.

niin
05-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Right click 'My Network Places', select 'Properties'
Right click your network connection (probably called 'Local Area Connection' but might be called 'Wireless Network Connection'), select 'Properties'

Select the 'Advanced' Tab.
In there, there is a Windows Firewall section with a 'Settings' button, click it, then disable the firewall.

durron597
05-27-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Start/My Network Places.

On the left it will say "View Network Connections", click that.

Then on the left it will say "Change Windows Firewall Settings". Click that.

On the window that pops up, click "Exceptions". Click "Add Program". You will want to add "PokerStars.exe" and "PokerStarsUpdate.exe" in the "C:\Program Files\PokerStars" directory.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

durron597
05-27-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right click 'My Network Places', select 'Properties'
Right click your network connection (probably called 'Local Area Connection' but might be called 'Wireless Network Connection'), select 'Properties'

Select the 'Advanced' Tab.
In there, there is a Windows Firewall button, click it, then click 'Settings', then disable the firewall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably don't want to do this because disabling the entire firewall could be pretty bad unless you are behind a router.

citanul
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
he's probably behind a router, as that's what usually broadcasts wireless signals.

citanul

niin
Well, he asked how to disable the firewall, just answering the question /images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree, tho, it's bad unless you're behind a router, I should have added that caveat.

Gigabet
I disabled the firewall, and still couldn't connect.

niin
05-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Can you connect to other things? Your browser works, email works, etc? If not, then there's something more fundamental wrong.

Gigabet
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you connect to other things? Your browser works, email works, etc? If not, then there's something more fundamental wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, I can connect to everything, except stars.

durron597
05-27-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, I can connect to everything, except stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check to see what ports are open on your Wireless Access Point. Try hooking up your desktop to a jack on the Access Point (if it has one, mine has exactly one, dunno about yours obviously). If your desktop doesn't work through that jack then you probably have to change the AP settings.

citanul
05-27-2005, 06:14 PM
if all else fails, i hear stars has basically the best support in the universe.

citanul

xLukex
05-27-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if all else fails, i hear stars has basically the best support in the universe.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was going to suggest.

Gigabet
05-27-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check to see what ports are open on your Wireless Access Point. Try hooking up your desktop to a jack on the Access Point (if it has one, mine has exactly one, dunno about yours obviously). If your desktop doesn't work through that jack then you probably have to change the AP settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that you are speaking english here, right?

Daliman
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
This is likely part of their new player protection software.

They are trying to protect their players from you.

SlackerMcFly
05-27-2005, 07:13 PM
If you have Norton Internet security, open it, click on Status and Settings. Locate personal firwall, double click that. Click the Programs tab and scroll through the programs to locate Pokerstars. Check to see if Internet access is permitted. Just change the setting to Automatic or Permit all if it is blocked. Should solve it.

If you have already disabled Windows Firewall, you should enable it and be sure that Pokerstars is allowed to access the internet (allowed or permitted sites) there as well.

If that won't work, it's because they saw you coming and are very, very afraid.......

Good luck!

Slacker

J-Lo
05-27-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]NH

ReDeYES88
05-28-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<-----------------just busted a gut

fluorescenthippo
05-28-2005, 01:53 AM
try disabling wireless zero configuration.

startmenu/controlpanel/administrativetools/services

its near the bottom of the list. change it from started to stop.

if you have a cheapass laptop (which you probably dont) this might be the problem

Renixe
05-28-2005, 01:34 PM
To possibly get better responses, post what laptop you have, the specs on it, and what router you're using if any.