PDA

View Full Version : best job search engine

Dubra
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
hi all,

just graduated so i am unemployed. i was wondering what your experiences were with the different job search engines. there are so many these days, i don't have time to use them all. so which search engine(s) are the best/most useful? Im looking for a job in finance if it matters. thank you

stankybank
05-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Try a temp agency. Those are really helpful.

Monster (http://monster.com) is pretty dope.

Cubswin
05-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Search engines suck for jobs. Networking is the way to go... it envolves more work but it is so worth it. Dont yet have any contacts or leads??? No problem.... find some places you might be interested in working for and see if you can get an email addy of an employee working there. Tell them you are interested in the work they do and are considering making a move into that field... then ask to set up an informal meeting over coffee or lunch... most people would be flattered and would meet with you. Ask advice on how to get into the industry but do not ask for a job. Do this a couple of times and eventaully someone will know of something that is just perfect for you. Of course, this works best for small/medium sized places with an informal hiring structure.

Avoid job search engines at all costs... the good jobs never get listed.

cubs

stabn
05-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Your advice about networking is great. You advice to ignore all other avenues blows.

jstnrgrs
05-24-2005, 09:12 PM
I just got a new job. I posted my resume on monster, hotjobs, carrerbuiler, and a few others. monster, and carrerbuilder both gave me leads, and the job I ultimatly got was from carrer builder.

My advise is don't be afraid to talk to staffing agencies. Sometimes they have good jobs to offer. I ultimatly got in touch with (talked in person with) four different agencies. This lead to five interviews. (two agencies never got me an interview). I now have a new job that I am very satisfied with.

I don't work in finance, so it may be somewhat different for you.