PDA

View Full Version : Table change! : 15-30 Quiz

Ulysses
12-11-2002, 04:37 PM
This is why tough, tight games suck.

6 players see the flop. This is very weird, as almost every flop is 3-handed.

Flop 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

BB bets. (BB, by the way, is the tightest player in the world. I've only seen him raise pre-flop with AA and KK, and I can't remember ever seeing a worse hand fom him than TT.). MP raises. LP folds. Cutoff folds. Button calls. SB folds.

Turn 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB checks. MP checks. Button checks.

River 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

BB bets. Button thinks for about 2 minutes and finally calls.

Anyone want to take a guess at what type of hands people had? (ie: overpair/set/flush/flush draw/etc.)

budman
12-11-2002, 05:00 PM
My guess is that the BB held Ah and a black king.
MP held an eight.
Button had a straight draw.

Matt D
12-11-2002, 07:31 PM
BB: King high flush
flop raiser: Set of 8's
Button: Ace of hearts

Matt D
12-11-2002, 07:34 PM
I misread.

Button: 3 8's
MP: AhJs

mikelow
12-11-2002, 10:19 PM
I put BB on 10 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Button won with 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif .

Ulysses
12-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Wow, that was pretty close. I'm glad I don't have to play with people who can analyze a hand that well.

The table was pretty much all regulars. On this hand, everyone laughed/sighed and showed their cards to a neighbor before mucking.

MP limped in and raised the flop w/ J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
LP limped in and folded 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
I limped in cutoff and folded Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
Don't know what SB had.

BB limped in and bet the flop w/ A /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
Button called on the river to take it down with 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

After the hand everyone thought it was pretty amusing that AA/JJ/TT/QQ were all out and nobody raised pre-flop.

mikelow
12-12-2002, 10:43 PM
One of my goals on this forum is to improve hand reading skills, and I welcome posts that give me the opportunity.

Hobart
12-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Table change is right. Where was this game? Any game of 10-20 or higher is usually capped pre-flop with hands like these or even worse. Good post.

Ulysses
12-13-2002, 05:48 AM
This game was at one of the loosest, craziest poker rooms around, Artichoke Joe's near San Francisco.

This was a real anomaly due to two early evening games starting to break at the same time before the nighttime gamblers started to show up. Because of that, this table ended up having some tough nighttime regulars plus some tough daytime regulars. Not a good place to be.

I smelled something fishy when two players limped to me in cutoff and luckily followed suit with my queens.

There was quite a bit of interesting conversation about this hand and how it might have played out had anyone raised pre-flop and how various players might have taken it down with post-flop aggression.

deadbart
12-13-2002, 11:18 AM
You claim the game is tough but noone raised preflop with all those hands?? Come on! You are basically claiming the game is full of tight tough players just because a bunch of good hads were dealt at once. Give me a break. Table change, yes - to this table! Let me have a go at these passive dorks, especially you who limped with QQ!

Ulysses
12-13-2002, 08:17 PM
I think it's silly to argue over how tough or not games are. Anyway, there's no question most games I play in are much softer than the average games described here. I'm sure your games are much tougher than mine.

However, my description of this being tough and tight had nothing to do with a few good hands being dealt at once. It had to do with the fact that the table had a bunch of tough players who constantly vary their play, make good reads, and make good laydowns. In general, this table was very aggressive both pre- and post- flop. It was just as likely for this hand to have been capped 3 or 4-way action pre-flop. The combination of a lot of limpers (very suspicious) and a scary board that didn't really hit anyone was what slowed everyone down post-flop.

deadbart
12-14-2002, 01:51 AM
Sorry, I looked back at my post and it came across more offensive than I meant. That said, I still don't like all the failures to raise in this hand, and I consider them serious leaks. You don't quite describe all the action, but I think MP with JJ not raising was quite bad, and you not raising with QQ was bad, and BB not raising AA is clearly wrong.